Best Faction for a Begginer?

#1KikoSikoPosted 2/22/2011 1:47:54 PM
Still getting used to this game, I don't really like the story and small like campaigns, thus im avoiding the American campaign thing... so im wondering as a starter, which faction is most fun? not too difficult , not too easy...Also short campaign or long campaign? cheers
#2PEDEGPosted 2/23/2011 12:17:54 PM
prussia
---
Education is not about finding answers but about learning how to find answers.
#3lovehate111Posted 2/23/2011 12:52:38 PM
Prussia is so not a beginner's choice, you start surrounded by potential enemies. Same with Austria, although they have some minor nations westward that usually are not too problematic.

Possible options include Great Britain, France, Maratha, Poland-Lithuania and Sweden.

The hardest one of those would have to be Sweden as you start with three nations that you have land access to but they are all allied to one another so declaring war on one may lead to a war with all three. This causes most people to disagree that it is a good beginners choice, but I reckon that its the best for a beginner who is seeking a challenge and only two of your region's capitals are near borders (one is your nation's capital which starts with a good army nearby).
---
Pearl FC: 4811 4637 0715
#4kevindrosario2Posted 2/23/2011 11:49:30 PM
I've always been partial to the United Provinces. It's very easy to quickly conquer India to build up a very strong economy to fuel your conquests in Europe and the Americas against the Spanish and French. I also really like the fact that they start off as a republic. No need to try to drive down public order in your capital to get a revolution.

I feel like getting a handle on the Americas early on as Great Britain is actually much more difficult than getting a handle on India as UP. Then again, it might just be because the only campaign I played as GB was my first one, so I may have just done stupid things. But it seems like everybody declares war on you simultaneously over there, whereas in India, you really only have to deal with one enemy at a time.
---
Math is a well known liberal bias
#5lovehate111Posted 2/24/2011 10:14:15 AM
Major problem with UP is the fact that you will quickly be in a war with France and Spain, which will require you to invest in a rather substantial amount of troops to defend the only region you have in Europe and thus prevent you from being eliminated.
---
#6Lucky Sh0tPosted 2/26/2011 12:20:56 PM
Major problem with UP is the fact that you will quickly be in a war with France and Spain, which will require you to invest in a rather substantial amount of troops to defend the only region you have in Europe and thus prevent you from being eliminated.

Or you could ofc just ditch that region in turn 1 and trash everything which will slow the French or Spanish (whoever gets it) by a few turns and allow you to focus on taking regions in America which so far seem to me to generate far more money than other regions.
---
Xbox Gamertag: Aurilion
WoW - lvl 85 Paladin, lvl 77 Rogue, lvl 81 Mage - Hellscream (EU)
#7lovehate111Posted 2/26/2011 1:53:44 PM
Umm...you can't do that Lucky. You are not able to sell off your capital region, which in this case is the Netherlands, nor can you buy another nation's capital region (eg. France), provided the original nation still owns it(eg. can buy France if Great Britain owns it but not if France does). Also if you lose all your regions in your home theatre your nation is eliminated (eg. if you attacked Great Britain and gained Scotland, England and Ireland and they had no other regions in the European theatre then Great Britain would be eliminated and all its American regions would change to rebels or emergent factions), thus even if you could sell the Netherlands your would be eliminated as you would have no regions in your home theatre of Europe.

By the way, India is good for increasing trade income substantially while America is good for increasing tax income. Personally I would rather go with America as well as you have a more guaranteed source of income.
---
#8RiftZMPosted 3/7/2011 10:12:27 AM
The absolute easiest faction to play is GB. Even after being patched, I have yet to be invaded in mainland GB by any faction. They have excellent units, great navy, and a good starting position. Your main focus should be conquering the Americas. You should start by sending a small army from England and landing it in your northern starting territory in the americas. Once there, build a few line infantry (city building should be the military one to build line infantry), and start wiping out the Native tribes until France declares war on you. By this time, you should have a decent Navy guarding your homeland in England from raids by France. As soon as they declare war on you, annihilate their navy and blockade one of their ports. If you don't hit their navy, they will constantly try to capture / blockade your ports. Ignore France in Europe. Concentrate on capturing all French and Native tribes. Once done, put your conquests on hold and pump up your economy in NA. Beware, more often than not, the Maratha Confederacy declares war on you even if you're allied. You can usually tell when they are about to do this, as they will begin requesting a certain territory of yours via diplomacy. If you refuse a few times, they'll suddenly declare war on you, and you can almost guarantee the invading army will be heading right for that province. Europe, in my opinion, is not worth the efforts of invading. So, once you've gotten a steady stream of cash flow, and I'm sure Maratha has attacked you by now or declared war, next theater is India, as it's very easy to conquer and yeilds incredible wealth. With the income I had, I sent 1 army to wipe out Spain in NA, with a smaller one capturing Cuba and Pirate nations. I sent two into India. As it stands right now, I own all of NA and India, have 1 full army guarding NA, 1 full Army guarding SA, and 2 full armies in India (because I just conquered it). My currently income per turn is over 70,000, and all armies have elite units. Also, make sure to have at least 1 Inn or Church in every province if possible, since when you move further down in the tech tree, clamour for reform becomes an issue. -- United Provinces isn't an easy start, as more than likely, you'll be at war with Spain AND France within a few turns (sometimes France doesn't join if Spain is the aggressor). France is also somewhat hard, because your NA colonies are bordered on both sides by GB (southern is 13 colonies, which become British by turn 3 or 4). If you're lucky, you can launch a quick attack on England and capture London, Scotland, and Ireland fairly quickly, and 13 colonies become US and GB history. Prussia has a great army and starting generals, and a quick attack on Saxony triggers war with Poland who can be conquered in 6 turns. But, then you have war with Austria, Russia, Bavaria, Wurtenburg (sp?), and sometimes more. Austria is a joke. I have yet to play as Spain, but I've heard they're easy to play, too. Once you get more familiar with the game and (hopefully you do realize Empire TW battles don't work the same as RTW and M2TW) understand the strategies better, I think Sweden is a lot of fun, as Sweden is pretty much a gold mine. Good luck! :D
#9lovehate111Posted 3/7/2011 5:13:47 PM
Clamour for reform is only an issue in regions that have a research building in a town. Any other region will not suffer from this (although it really should since most of your regions benefit from the techs you research). Furthermore, since Great Britain is a Constitutional Monarchy the lowest class's happiness is not measured and thus you can have fully upgraded industrial buildings in nearly every town (need some schools and unis) without any industrialisation unhappiness occurring! Which is the main reason why I change to CM as soon as I can, although doing so is difficult for most nations since increasing your tax rate (best way to cause revolution) affects all regions in the theatre. Easiest nation to change government types in is United Provinces since they only have their capital in Europe to start with.

Back on topic, Sweden is a good choice even though you have Denmark, Poland and Russia all allied with each other. You should be able to get into a war with just Denmark, especially if you are trading with Poland and Russia from the beginning. Russia will eventually declare war on you, and after taking Denmark you can go to war with Prussia!
---
#10PEDEGPosted 3/7/2011 6:08:39 PM
i still say prussia. you only have 2 provs and you have military superiority. even if you are at war with all your neighbours and don't expand, your income remains good. you can sit and take it easy capturing one prov at a time, invest in sciences, steal tech from all your neighbours and no need to worry about having any navy.

gb requires you to concentrate in multiple areas. you risk bankrupting your country if you try to focus on america, europe and navies at the same time.

then again it all depend what difficulty level you are playing. anything on medium is easy where your neighbours leaves you alone for a while. played gb in med and vh, totally different. in med first thing i did with gb is to load up all the units in the homelands and send them on a long journey to india. also build trader in every available trading port from turn 1. yup, in med, you don't really need to defend your trade areas much at the start. but on vh, no way could i send a substantial number of my ships to india because france, iroquois and spain declared war within first 3 turns. in vh, first thing i did was to get all the units on the homeland and took paris. from there it's quite easy because france is rich and you don't need to depend much on trade income.

by the way, the ai will transport units by water and land troops on england. as long as you keep them all occupied elsewhere, the water option is down their priority list. but keep this in mind so that you won't be too surprised when maratha invades.
---
Education is not about finding answers but about learning how to find answers.