My main issue with Braid...

#1ollicehunterPosted 3/6/2012 8:36:07 AM
That, while brilliant in its plot, mechanics, art design...it's juts not all that entertaining to play. On the contrary. I find it to be frustrating and disorienting a lot of the time. There's a lot of trial and error involved, and even people I live with who have watched me play say that it doesn't look very fun. Yes, I've completed the game, and I would suggest it to anybody looking to play something different, as well as experience one of the best downloadable titles this generation...but when I say "best", what I largely mean is for its other elements, not so much its gamplay, which I feel should be most important. I know Jonathan Blow said that Braid is about the journey and not the destination, and I commend him for that...it's just that the journey is often fraught with frustration and, well...not entertainment. Thoughts?
#2Noke0Posted 3/13/2012 1:53:42 PM
It's a game, people like different games.
---
GT: o Blue x
Currently Playing: Bastion, OOT3D, MW3, TF2 and FFlll/VI
#3XDummyXPosted 3/30/2012 10:24:34 AM
thank you ms paint. http://i.imgur.com/ajfBj.jpg

There are points where its difficulty can be somewhat immersion breaking, but i found that the majority of its puzzles were fun to hash out. Im not really a puzzle or puzzle game person but i think the constant trial error failures are made easy to swallow because you just hold X to unscrewup. (or in rare cases have to exit the level door i believe) The nice part about rewind is getting rid of those tiny mechanical errors and making it just about what you can do to get the puzzle pieces.

Though it certainly does help to take a break or grab a fresh set of eyes sometime.
#4ScalytsPosted 4/10/2012 3:13:02 AM
XDummyX posted...
thank you ms paint. http://i.imgur.com/ajfBj.jpg

There are points where its difficulty can be somewhat immersion breaking, but i found that the majority of its puzzles were fun to hash out. Im not really a puzzle or puzzle game person but i think the constant trial error failures are made easy to swallow because you just hold X to unscrewup. (or in rare cases have to exit the level door i believe) The nice part about rewind is getting rid of those tiny mechanical errors and making it just about what you can do to get the puzzle pieces.

Though it certainly does help to take a break or grab a fresh set of eyes sometime.

Hahaha. ^ Loved it.
---
Know that for all who betray justice, I am their fate. And fate carries an executioner's axe. --Planescape: Torment
#5billygotenPosted 4/30/2012 8:39:34 AM
it's just that the journey is often fraught with frustration and, well...not entertainment. Thoughts?

I can't agree with that at all. I thought the game was a blast.

Let me venture a guess though: did you play the entire game in one sitting, or at least a lot of the later stages in one go?

I only got frustrated to the point where I wasn't enjoying it once and I fully realized it was because I should be setting the game down and doing something else, letting the solution come to me all of a sudden but refused to. That's not the game's fault.
---
---The defib is a more useful weapon at range than either T1 shotty. - kenmorr23---