Dead Space - Twinkle twinkle little Star...

#1AndiLea123Posted 7/10/2009 6:32:44 PM
k so this is the first time i am ever playing dead space, i just saw the movie leading up to this and i am extremely...freaked out lol im sitting here staring at the menu afraid to press enter because some wacked out version of twinkle twinkle little star just started playing and after a while of listening to it i figured i would post the lyrics:p enjoyXD

Twinkle, twinkle, little star
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high
Like a diamond in the sky

When the blazing sun is gone,
When the nothing shines upon,
Then you show your little light,
Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.

Then the traveler in the dark
Thanks you for your little spark;
He could not see which way to go,
If you did not twinkle so.
Though i know not what you are,
Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

hm...wonder if there's some sort of hidden meaning to this song and the game...?
#2lesarchPosted 7/10/2009 7:22:20 PM
Nice :D

So... Isaac is the star?
#3Sock_of_UnicronPosted 7/10/2009 9:11:07 PM

The star might refer to the Marker or the Ishimura. I'd leaning more towards the Marker, seeing as it is the main mystery in the series so far.

#4Sock_of_UnicronPosted 7/10/2009 9:12:19 PM

The star might refer to the Marker or the Ishimura. I'm leaning more towards the Marker, seeing as it is the main mystery in the series so far.

#5DMX0000Posted 7/11/2009 5:52:35 AM

The traveler in the dark(Issac), the unkown thing(necromorphs or the red marker) and the night(death). So yeah the song describes the events of dead space.

#6AndiLea123(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2009 9:00:02 PM
thankiesXD i dunno thats what im starting to think though\o_O/
#7_Shuyin_Posted 7/19/2009 7:46:13 PM
The star is probably the Marker, since the traveler (Issac) wouldn't know which way to go without the help of the Marker (via the vision of you-know-who)
---
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything"
~ Tyler Durden, Fight Club
#8ChickenChaserPosted 7/20/2009 11:10:26 AM
That's not a whacked out version of Twinkle Twinkle... that is the first 3 verses of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star ... with the final line of the last stanza tacked on at the end.

That is the exact poem, as written in the early 19th century ... it is a 5 verse song... the first three of which are referenced in this topic...

The full song as written is as follows:

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky!

When the blazing sun is gone,
When he nothing shines upon,
Then you show your little light,
Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.

Then the traveller in the dark,
Thanks you for your tiny spark,
He could not see which way to go,
If you did not twinkle so.

In the dark blue sky you keep,
And often through my curtains peep,
For you never shut your eye,
Till the sun is in the sky.

As your bright and tiny spark,
Lights the traveller in the dark,
Though I know not what you are,
Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

In America, school children are familiar only with the first verse... but all the others have existed for as long as the verse has existed... Dead Space is merely one of the few times that a lengthier version of the song has appeared.

The song is self explanatory ... but as regards the story of Dead Space, I think it is used:
1. because it has a creepy, eerie sound befitting the atmosphere, juxtaposing a child's nursery rhyme with extreme violence is always creepy

2. because stars and space are intimately identified with each other

3. because it is a song about the light of the stars guiding a navigating traveler by night until the sun rises imposing it's dominant light on the sky and snuffing out the visible star ... as such, if it were the intent of the developers for the song to have some symbolic meaning, then perhaps symbolically, Unitologists the travelers, the Marker the star, and the Government the sun ...

---
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2340/1247367977823.gif
#9ZombiDeadZombiPosted 7/20/2009 1:51:56 PM
^^^^ i was totally gonna say that too....seriously....it is just a song in a game..no hidden meaning whatsoever.....people need to stop overanalyzing everything in a game.......just like on the bioshock boards and everyone goin batcrazy of the references to ayn rand and all that...some people wrote a whole thing on how bioshock promotes what she teaches and crap...and the resident evil 5 and racism crap that was going around......stop analyzing and just enjoy the creepy rendition of a poem we all must have said at least once
#10Sock_of_UnicronPosted 7/21/2009 7:05:59 AM

ZombiDeadZombi posted...
^^^^ i was totally gonna say that too....seriously....it is just a song in a game..no hidden meaning whatsoever.....people need to stop overanalyzing everything in a game.......just like on the bioshock boards and everyone goin batcrazy of the references to ayn rand and all that...some people wrote a whole thing on how bioshock promotes what she teaches and crap...and the resident evil 5 and racism crap that was going around......stop analyzing and just enjoy the creepy rendition of a poem we all must have said at least once

It's not over analyzing. Poems are different from songs. Many poems have many different meanings. And usually, when you put a song on a movie/game, whatever, you usually have a reason to put it there. And you have to be plain stupid to think a game, that's set in space, that has "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" in it's opening video won't have a connection to an overall theme of the game, in a certain context.

As for the Resident Evil 5 racism, that's just retarded. The RE games are made by the JAPANESE. The original Resident Evil games (1-3, Outbreak, all those) are set in the United States, and no one complained about racism. Resident Evil 4 is set in Spain, and no one complained about racism. But when they make a game set in Africa, everyone goes crazy.