About Blinfold Riku

#1zozobanderPosted 8/20/2009 9:18:07 AM
I have 2 questions

My first question is

why does rikku wear a blindfold for the style or for some reason?

and my other question is

Why does rikku transform in Ansem ?

(sorry english is not my nattive language)
#2KMA2Posted 8/20/2009 9:46:18 AM
The blindfold is basically a symbol of his shame, for sinking back into darkness.

To restore Sora's memory, Riku had to capture Roxas. But Roxas was far too strong, so Riku had to tap into Xehanort's power, still in his heart, for a boost.
---
"I once got a spam email entitled 'SIX STEPS TO A GREAT CAREER.' I was really disappointed when it wasn't an ad for revolvers. " -todaystomsawyer
#3starrkPosted 8/20/2009 10:39:31 AM
Minor Spoilers.

When Riku meets Mickey, he is in the form of Ansem, and after putting on the blindfold, he immediately switches to the form of Riku. Is it revealed why that happens?
---
All men must die. But first we'll live.
#4Hirokey123Posted 8/20/2009 12:03:47 PM
While wearing the blindfold he shows his true form, but because of the blindfold he doesn't see his shame. While when he takes it off he can't stand to look at himself and his shame so he changes into Xehanort and thus is free of looking at his shame.

So thats why he put on the blindfold in that scene, to reveal his true form to micky but to not be forced to look at his shame.

...though I don't think he had any real reason to be ashamed, all he did was use the power of darkness for awakening sora and for the good of the worlds. I mean *spoilers* when they tell Xemnas that they don't hate the dark just the evil things that hide in it, so riku using dark powers for good means he had no reason to be ashamed of it....course I guess he figured that out eventually...

Meh but I'm wrong lots of times so i could just be wrong here as well.
---
Beware your oven may contain 1 of the four super programs needed to summon an apocalyptic monster. People who understand this sig:57
#5gransPosted 8/20/2009 12:05:37 PM
KMA2 thinks it's out of shame, but videos show that he wears the blindfold in order to retain his true appearance as Riku. When he takes it off, he seems to transform into Ansem (Xehanort's heartless). Only in looks and power of course, he's still Riku at heart. It's not known WHY this happens though.

SPOILERS-

Firstly, in Chain of Memories, it is revealed that Riku still holds part of Ansem in himself. He beats Ansem's consciousness down and manages to control his power, but he still retains the power for himself. I'm assuming eventually, he began taking on the appearance of Ansem as he began to use more and more of his power to get his job done. He is clearly ashamed of his appearance and submergence into darkness, as he hides his appearance from others. So in a way, he clearly DOES wear the blindfold out of shame, in order to keep his appearance. But the blindfold also clearly affects the way he looks as he cannot retain his appearance as Riku unless his eyes are shielded. Two scenes show us this, where he takes off the blindfold to turn into Ansem (when fighting Roxas), and puts it back on in order to retain his normal self (in front of Mickey). Eventually, he used ALL of Ansem's power and was stuck in that form "permanently", so all he had to hide his appearance is his hood, which he wore almost until the end. Clearly in shame.

You could say Riku sort of literally became Ansem. As he used more and more of the dark power, he looked more and more like Ansem. It is never explained how or why the blindfold suppresses this power (not specifically anyways), but it has two purposes. 1- to retain his original appearance, and 2- to hide his shame from looking like Ansem. Who wouldn't be ashamed of looking like the person who hurt so many people? People tend to judge how someone looks instead of their true selves. Mickey was a good example- he was about to fight Riku in Ansem's appearance before Riku revealed who he really was.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#6KMA2Posted 8/20/2009 1:06:58 PM

Is it revealed why that happens?

At that point, Riku could basically switch back and forth at will. When Mickey asks him why he looked like that, Riku just says he'd been using his dark powers a little too much. But against Roxas, he had to go all-out, and from there, there was no turning back.

The blindfold itself really had nothing to do with it. Riku just put it on because he was becoming himself again, and as usual, he felt the need to hide his own eyes out of shame.

KMA2 thinks it's out of shame

I think nothing. Riku and Mickey tells us that themselves, right there in KHII. He was trying to lie to himself, and as long as he could see, he couldn't deny what was going on.

KHII and Days both invalidate your interpretation.
---
"I once got a spam email entitled 'SIX STEPS TO A GREAT CAREER.' I was really disappointed when it wasn't an ad for revolvers. " -todaystomsawyer
#7gransPosted 8/20/2009 1:12:17 PM
KMA, calm down and don't get so defensive. My opinion is fact in the matter as KH2 AND Days actually validates my view. He takes off his blindfold, turns into Ansem. Puts it back on, turns into himself. I already said it was partially shame, but the fact still remains that the blindfold is what allows him to transform back and forth.

Riku is ashamed of his darkness and appearance, yes. But this is not the only reason he wears the blindfold. Surely you don't deny the fact that every time he takes it off or puts it back on, he physically changes in the eyes of EVERYONE else. And becoming the Ansem form permanently gave him more power. >_>
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#8KMA2Posted 8/20/2009 1:13:04 PM

...though I don't think he had any real reason to be ashamed, all he did was use the power of darkness for awakening sora and for the good of the worlds.]

Ever since KH1, Riku's story revolved around conquering Xehanort. In Reverse/Rebirth, he swore never to use his power again, but as time went on, he had to break that promise. He used Xehanort as a crutch, time and time again, because Riku alone just wasn't strong enough. And, eventually, Xehanort's power consumed him.

I can certainly see where he'd get shame out of that.
---
#9XienzoPosted 8/20/2009 1:19:07 PM
I dunno, I remembered how firecross once pointed out that the shame theory and the transformation-inducing theory weren't mutually exclusive; there's no evidence that states they BOTH can't be true.
#10KMA2Posted 8/20/2009 1:20:52 PM

KMA, calm down and don't get so defensive.

It's not defensive. It's...more like insistent, honestly. You come up with your own little workaround, and then you claim it as fact. Which is...you know, pretty annoying.

Your claim is completely unsupported. Riku and Mickey tell us the meaning of the blindfold in no uncertain terms. Nothing more is ever implied. But still, you say, "Sure, that's kinda why, but it's not the main reason." Which is completely unjustified. Why would a simple piece of cloth suppress Xehanort's power? Where did it come from? You supposed answer only raises more questions.

And there's no reason for it. The fact that he takes it off and puts it on sometimes is already explained. It's whole meaning is already explained. There's no reason to keep guessing, and especially to state it as fact.
---