This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is this game an RPG? lolz

#1Succubus191Posted 9/17/2012 12:47:15 PM
Do you consider MH to be a RPG/ARPG? - Results (124 votes)
Yes it is a RPG/ARPG
58.87% (73 votes)
No it is not a RPG/ARPG
25.81% (32 votes)
What is a RPG?
15.32% (19 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I was having a discussion on a different forum and another member claimed that MH is not a RPG. Another of his claims was that MH is "punch-out with loot" and an action-puzzle game which I found amusing.

Basically I told him that most people probably consider this game to be an RPG and just want to do this silly poll to give a more accurate number.
#2Ecclesiastes273Posted 9/17/2012 1:08:06 PM
It is either an Action RPG with a heavy emphasis on the action, or an Action game with heavy RPG foundations. A bit of interpretive license is involved either way.

Personally, I'd call it an RPG. This goes beyond the stats, formulas, and mechanics. There is actual roleplaying to be had in the game, beyond "pretend you're the main character in this fully-voiced, strictly-driven plot that's more or less a movie".

I'm also one of the most vehement opponents of the notion that Zelda is an RPG series, so I may be somewhat irrational.
---
Official Vet of the MHFU Message Board.
Official ETERNAL DESTROYER of the super mega ultimate DRAGON DESTROYERS(tm).
#3SabramPosted 9/17/2012 1:58:22 PM
It's an RPG for several reasons.

-There are several stats given for your character, RPG-style
-You can get better armor and weapons as you progress in the game
-There are trash, small fights which lead up to the boss fights
-There actually are stories behind each quest, very small but there do give reasons for them being there
-There is an overall background story to the game
-There are two aspects of "leveling up," upgrading armor and bowguns
-You can create your own character, which is making the "Role" of an RPG
-
So yeah, all of those are RPG elements, which makes MH an RPG at it's core.
---
Official Lightsword & Bowshieldgun of the MH3U Board.
Gamertag: Sabram PSN: Sabram
#4sephiroth1491Posted 9/17/2012 2:02:09 PM
I thought MH invented the "hunting genre", hell even GEB was called "High speed hunting game".
---
PSN: kon-sama1491 ///
"There's no room left in heaven and there's sure no room in hell, yeah" - Bad Religion
#5AoENIACPosted 9/17/2012 2:51:06 PM
A LOT of people also associate "RPG" games with a cycle based combat system that is orderly and either turn based or otherwise divided into distinct units, even though that technically has nothing to do with whether a game is an RPG or not! And while Monster Hunter seems to be an "action" game with a free-form combat system where time units are divisible to the point of obscurity, it actually does seem like a very cleverly disguised "turn based" system to me. Because if you don't behave within a very orderly structure and process in order to take advantage of tendencies and openings, you will be punished or subjected to failure. The more you play, the more methodical it feels until you've basically got it down to the point where it is the same as a turn based menu game or grid based strategy game.

So in that regard, I consider Monster Hunter an RPG. Also for the before-mentioned reasons in this topic, which make more sense with the definition of RPG.
---
Is there something about the way I type that makes it sound angry? Maybe it's just something about the way you read.
#6t3hNubPosted 9/17/2012 4:55:32 PM(edited)
I like to think of Monster Hunter as "like chess but with noclip."

Or Megaman with dinosaurs.
---
Don't get hit and hit it until it dies, in that order.
Kill it, carve it, wear it, repeat it.
#7Ecclesiastes273Posted 9/17/2012 4:56:25 PM
sephiroth1491 posted...
I thought MH invented the "hunting genre", hell even GEB was called "High speed hunting game".

Phantasy Star.
---
#8Ecclesiastes273Posted 9/17/2012 4:57:39 PM
t3hNub posted...
I like to think of Monster Hunter as "like chess but with noclip."

Or Megaman with dinosaurs.

THEN WHERE IS MY WEAPON GET MUSIC
---
#9LeftoverLotionPosted 9/17/2012 5:03:27 PM(edited)
Yes it is a RPG/ARPG

Ecclesiastes273 posted...
sephiroth1491 posted...

Phantasy Star Online.

Fix'd.
---
I'ma fan art fiend.
http://i.minus.com/ibbRZdJwDeER1l.jpg http://i.minus.com/ibbRZdJwDeER1l.jpg http://i.minus.com/ibbRZdJwDeER1l.jpg
#10Ecclesiastes273Posted 9/17/2012 5:29:12 PM
LeftoverLotion posted...
Yes it is a RPG/ARPG

Ecclesiastes273 posted...
sephiroth1491 posted...

Phantasy Star Online.

Fix'd.

I was hoping to rile someone up. Why you gotta jam up my jive, man?
---