This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does the game get better?

#1LitCandlezPosted 12/2/2012 11:15:58 AM
I just got this game and right now it is pretty slow. Does it pick up speed and was the beginning of the game boring for anyone else?
---
GAMEFAQS- Where posting a different opinion is trolling, and moderators are always right! We all love this website!
I have a vita. PSN-LitCandles
#2MoliviousPosted 12/2/2012 11:22:49 AM
gets better as you get used to it.
Boring? in what sense, no story? well, it's gonna be real boring til you quit then.
weak monsters? you're gonna get a hell of pain soon enough.
---
"You could easily teach yourself if you observe the world closely." - Elise
yummy? http://puu.sh/1tozJ http://puu.sh/1toA5 ...still yummy?
#3LitCandlez(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2012 11:26:54 AM
I'm doing all the training quests right now. How far in do you start fighting bosses? Do I have to look at a beginner's guide to play this?
---
GAMEFAQS- Where posting a different opinion is trolling, and moderators are always right! We all love this website!
I have a vita. PSN-LitCandles
#4AoENIACPosted 12/2/2012 12:15:07 PM
There's basically three modes.

1. School quests.
2. Village quests.
3. Guild quests.

It sounds like you already found the school.

If you feel like you've already got a grasp on the basics, you can probably afford to skip the school quests until later. There are some unique rewards to get out of the training school, such as monster coins and tickets for crafting special armors, as well as a few "piercings", headgear that don't change your appearance but offer a large amount of skill points. But for now that shouldn't really bother you. When you want those things I'd recommend using a guide to save some time figuring out what you need to do to get them.
The school will also get new quests as you fight particular monsters in the village and guild quests (it will say at the end of the quest that a monster has been added to the school for solo or group training respectively).

The village quests are intended for solo play, and as such are generally easier than the guild quests. You get the low rank village quests from the old lady standing by the fire and you get high rank village quests from the cat with the large bell around its neck right next to her.
In order to reach a new difficulty level of quests, you must first complete particular key quests and then a difficult "urgent" quest. This is true for both village and guild quests. If you're having trouble ranking up, just look for a guide. There is generally no indication of what quests are key quests within the game so you should just look up the list. Although generally it has you fight monsters you haven't fought before for that difficulty, as a rule of thumb.

Guild quests are intended for group play but there is no reason you cannot solo them. Guild quests not only have low rank and high rank tiers but also a G (great) rank since this is Freedom Unite, aka "Portable 2nd G". You get all guild quests in the gathering hall, the building at the back of the village next to the training school. Low rank guild quests are offered at the pink receptionist, high rank the green, and G rank the yellow. There are also treasure quests from the old man in the corner.
Offline gathering hall allows you to bring a felyne companion on a quest but most hunters would recommend not using it as it can complicate quests far more than it helps. Online gathering hall automatically restricts felynes, but allows other players to join you in the hunt either over the PSP's local wireless connection or through your PS3's adhoc party application. There are also tunneling services like Monster Hunter Portable Tunnel and Xlink Kai which are intended to allow you to connect to other PSPs through your computer rather than a PS3.
It can sometimes be complicated to solo certain guild quests, but I assure you they are all possible to solo, although often times having sub-par gear will make things far too tedious to complete.
---
Is there something about the way I type that makes it sound angry? Maybe it's just something about the way you read.
#5NykzaPosted 12/2/2012 12:18:11 PM
(great)

Don't listen to this fool here.

G is for
Godly
Grandmaster
Gigantuous
---
http://i.imgur.com/w2Ni4.jpg
#6AoENIACPosted 12/2/2012 4:15:39 PM
I like that, I actually call it Grandmaster myself! But I had heard that in the original Japanese it is mentioned as being "great" rank. I am unable to vouch for the legitimacy of this rumor, as I don't speak a lick of Japanese despite playing the imported UMDs for this and P3rd...
---
Is there something about the way I type that makes it sound angry? Maybe it's just something about the way you read.
#7t3hNubPosted 12/2/2012 4:30:49 PM
All Monster Hunters suffer from tedious introductions, you're not alone in feeling that way.

Skip the tutorial and Training School for now; either get the handful of "baby's first quests" in the village out of the way and get to real hunting or if you're feeling a little more confident then jump right into the game in the Gathering Hall. Things have a bit more health and do a little more damage in the Hall, since it's balanced more for 2+ players ("online" multiplayer hall is the same as offline hall) so be careful.
---
Don't get hit and hit it until it dies, in that order.
Kill it, carve it, wear it, repeat it.
#8NykzaPosted 12/2/2012 4:38:29 PM
This is my favourite definition though

S- is super (above A+ rank)
A - high ranked (school grade wise)
G - below F (failing) because you are gonna be dieing alot xD
so you would be doing worse than an F in monster hunter

---
http://i.imgur.com/w2Ni4.jpg
#9pingomalikPosted 12/2/2012 6:12:38 PM
The first bit is dull, once you get into the high ranks it's a blast. Here is a list that shows you what quests you need to do to advance to higher leveled monsters.
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Elder_Quest_List_%28MHFU%29 (for the village quests)

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Guild_Quest_List_%28MHFU%29 (for the gathering hall quests)
---
(V) (;,,;) (V)
---