PC vs. Console

#1RSHabroptilusPosted 11/15/2008 9:44:22 PM
I'm looking at the Steam deal with the free copy of Legend right now (and already comes at a decent $40 price), and am quite tempted...so I'm curious how the series stacks up with a keyboard and mouse. I see a lot of complaints on Amazon, but not here, for the PC ports. While I regularly prefer PC gaming, the Tomb Raider series looks like it's made to be played on the console.

So, would you fellahs recommend getting the past console releases used for cheap ($10 for Legend, $20 for Anniversary) and pick up Underworld when it also is way down in price for the PS3, or should I scramble for the Steam deal while it lasts? Meaning, if there really is nothing wrong with the mouse and keyboard gameplay, like Amazon reviews suggest...?

Apologies for the bad writing.
---
Paranoids are not paranoids because they're paranoid, but because they keep putting themselves, ****ing idiots, deliberately into paranoid situations.
#2KoakumaKouPosted 11/16/2008 3:26:28 AM
there isnt much wrong with mouse and keyboard but i use my 360 controller playing the demo on pc after i try it using mouse and keyboard. and controller wins hands down. controller feel much better. if you have a controller u can use on the pc then getting the pc version isnt too bad.
---
TheCakeIsALie
#3SebAlex81Posted 11/16/2008 3:44:18 AM
I never played with a gamepad or a console version of TRL or TRA. But for PC the camera can be controlled with the mouse. Due to this I almost never had a trouble with the camera, I look toward everything I want.
#4Disco JoePosted 11/16/2008 2:12:20 PM
Personally, I think the people who prefer the console version are crazy. I find the keyboard/mouse controls much more precise than a clunky game pad. Controlling the camera and movement with a mouse is elegant and effortless.

Now, seeing as aiming isn't a big priority in the Tomb Raider series, it's perfectly playable on a controller, but I just don't see why anyone would want to use a controller over a mouse/keyboard, other than being more used to doing so. Mouse/keyboard is infinitely superior for almost all kinds of gaming, mainly fighting and racing games.
---
The war for freedom will never really be won because the price of our freedom is constant vigilance over ourselves and over our Government. - Eleanor Roosevelt
#5KoakumaKouPosted 11/16/2008 9:39:37 PM
Disco Joe just 1 question... have u use the controller to play? truth to be told i am a console gamer at heart, but im no bias to any console/pc. i love all my console and pc alike. there are game thats better with controller and there are better games using mouse/keyboard.

for game like dmc4/tomb raider/prince of persia it is definitely very playable using keyboard but those game are made for controllers so it feel much natural using a controller to play it. but for fps i always prefer mouse/keyboard over controller any day.

im not saying Disco Joe's opinion is biased but if he havent play it using controller then his opinion is nothing more than opinion.
---
TheCakeIsALie
#6RinnerzPosted 11/17/2008 8:17:19 AM

Well, I've been a fan of the TR games since TR2, and I was always a console player--up until the last couple of years. After having played all the TR games from TR2 through to TR AoD on the PSX and PS2, switching to the PC was a little awkward at first, but it turned out to be for the best.

I've played all of Legend and Anniversary exclusively on the PC, using just your standard keyboard/mouse setup, and I have to say... I can't imagine going back to using a gamepad for TR games now. Comments from other players on Amazon may be from those who, like me, were more used to using a gamepad with games like TR to begin with, and so may have had more trouble adjusting. It did take me awhile to get used to it, as I've said, but... I find the keyboard/mouse combo to be more precise, and easier when it comes to things like camera control. Just my 2 cents.

#7Sidewind22Posted 11/17/2008 4:48:28 PM
I remember playing the original TR on pc way back in the day when it first came out and i got used to the controls, can't imagine ever trying to use a controller, just no way i would want too, keyboard/mouse is 100x better.
---
EVGA 780i SLI, Wolfdale E8400 3.0GHz, 4GB's DDR 800, 8800GT 512MB x2 in SLI, Vista (damn)
#8Iffy350Posted 11/17/2008 6:58:39 PM
Why would anyone use a 360 controller on a PC game? Are you really that bad at gaming?
#9SonphilPosted 11/18/2008 8:53:46 PM

Okay I played the game, with max graphics 8XAA 4XAF and the game looks better than the DEMO

Even with my system I cannot run it fully with 16XAA and 8AF , The game is really good compared to the DEMO

Lara looks real in every way and on the Boat level in the begin its has Mirrage Edge like graphics on the boat which was awesome

to see. THe puzzles are very hard, you need patients. Remember you will need a powerful system to run the maxout

The game doesn't need motion blur because of PC high standards. IF you play this game you will not be disappointent.

Have fun.

PS: What the H..l is wrong with NFS underground, Looks like a PS2 PORT for PC. PC always had great graphics for NFS games.

#10SonphilPosted 11/18/2008 8:54:18 PM

Okay I played the game, with max graphics 8XAA 4XAF and the game looks better than the DEMO

Even with my system I cannot run it fully with 16XAA and 8AF , The game is really good compared to the DEMO

Lara looks real in every way and on the Boat level in the begin its has Mirrage Edge like graphics on the boat which was awesome

to see. THe puzzles are very hard, you need patients. Remember you will need a powerful system to run the maxout

The game doesn't need motion blur because of PC high standards. IF you play this game you will not be disappointent.

Have fun.

PS: What the H..l is wrong with NFS undercover, Looks like a PS2 PORT for PC. PC always had great graphics for NFS games.