is there any point in using silenced weapons?

#11The-QuakerPosted 11/23/2012 12:31:26 PM
The system is all weird. Like in Terminus, when I turn on the radio. Some random worker from all the way downstairs comes upstairs to turn it off. Same goes with meleeing. Some how no matter if I'm in a secluded room or not someone always hears me take someone out if the takedown isn't a choke out, necksnap, or fiber wire. Its just frustrating. They also need to delay the time it takes for the AI to figure out they spotted you. Biggest pet peeve is you get spotted and a split second after they get taken out by a throwing weapon.
---
Gamertag: QuAkEr OaTz
PSN: QuAkEr-OaTz
#12giocarePosted 11/23/2012 1:04:39 PM(edited)
The silenced weapons are pretty useless, which is especially strange since Blood Money did it so much better with upgradeable silencers and low velocity ammo.
#13micey13(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 1:18:20 PM
The-Quaker posted...
Biggest pet peeve is you get spotted and a split second after they get taken out by a throwing weapon.

wher you refering to disguises?yep ,that's the other major gripe I have but from what I see it is a widespread issue and on the official forums there is a thread where someone from the dev team acknowledged the problem and supposedly are working on fixing it.

Actually if they kept notoriety system from BM the way disguses work now would work perfectly for having a high notoriety. Chances the patch will bring back notoriety are slim to nill but at least the game should hopefully revert to hitman style from blood money with low notoriety. But why remove such a awesome feature is beyond me? :/
---
goin' with the flow
#14The-QuakerPosted 11/23/2012 2:41:15 PM
micey13 posted...
The-Quaker posted...
Biggest pet peeve is you get spotted and a split second after they get taken out by a throwing weapon.

wher you refering to disguises?yep ,that's the other major gripe I have but from what I see it is a widespread issue and on the official forums there is a thread where someone from the dev team acknowledged the problem and supposedly are working on fixing it.

Actually if they kept notoriety system from BM the way disguses work now would work perfectly for having a high notoriety. Chances the patch will bring back notoriety are slim to nill but at least the game should hopefully revert to hitman style from blood money with low notoriety. But why remove such a awesome feature is beyond me? :/

I was actually referring more to the flawed logic of the game and also how instantly smart the AI is. For example, I'm behind a NPC, they turn around mid throw and get instantly spotted. That's just ridiculous. The flawed logic is since that NPC is going to be dead anyway, being spotted shouldn't matter. It's not like he is going to wake and remember me killing him lol. If they want to take away points for being spotted fine, but it should even out after they have been disposed.
---
Gamertag: QuAkEr OaTz
PSN: QuAkEr-OaTz
#15RyanJMcDPosted 11/27/2012 6:47:31 PM
For those that don't know, silenced weapons...arn't.

There is no such thing as a 'silencer'. The correct terminology is 'suppressor'.
It decreases the noise, not eliminates it. A supressed .22 with sub sonic ammo would be pretty quiet, but once you get into 9mm, the bullet is breaking the sound barrier and still making a fairly loud 'crack'. You could easily hear a suppressed shot 2 rooms away. It just wouldn't be as loud or as recognizable as a regular shot.

It does decrease the range at which someone might be alerted, and with loud ambiant noise, would most likely be covered. But there is no *pfft* like you see in movies and games.

In fact the main reason teams like SWAT use supressed weapons has nothing to do with stealth, it is actualy to protect their hearing. They supress the sound enough to under dangerous levels (especially indoors) and still leave the ears free of anything that might dampen imporant sounds.
---
Jesus Christ! what the ****'s blown up now?
-Me after 6 months in Iraq
#16aflawedpeacePosted 11/27/2012 7:09:35 PM(edited)
^^This^^
#17TheLegendaryPiePosted 11/27/2012 7:22:48 PM(edited)
RyanJMcD posted...
For those that don't know, silenced weapons...arn't.

There is no such thing as a 'silencer'. The correct terminology is 'suppressor'.
It decreases the noise, not eliminates it. A supressed .22 with sub sonic ammo would be pretty quiet, but once you get into 9mm, the bullet is breaking the sound barrier and still making a fairly loud 'crack'. You could easily hear a suppressed shot 2 rooms away. It just wouldn't be as loud or as recognizable as a regular shot.

It does decrease the range at which someone might be alerted, and with loud ambiant noise, would most likely be covered. But there is no *pfft* like you see in movies and games.

In fact the main reason teams like SWAT use supressed weapons has nothing to do with stealth, it is actualy to protect their hearing. They supress the sound enough to under dangerous levels (especially indoors) and still leave the ears free of anything that might dampen imporant sounds.

But that isnt the point ,many of us know that, but this is a video game, and if they were going for realism, they have failed horribly

The thing i miss most tho is that save system, thats how i experimented the most with what i should and should do, but these forced checkpoints are not well placed.
#18sknmakPosted 11/27/2012 7:44:43 PM
Oh snap no apollo flaming and trolling. Perfect time to post.

Well I had a few questions about the "silent" take downs as well. It's the opposite for me. If I think about choking anyone people ALWAYS here it. If I go 1v1 hand to hand CQC with anyone .....NPCs and enemies always here it! So for me the fiber wire is always and I repeat......ALWAYS the 100% sure way not to get caught. No matter how much they kick, choke and no matter how many boxes or random debri is shuffled in the process. Sometimes I can get away with silent weapon take downs. I don't even take the chance on Purist Mode. Snapping necks or choking only works when the enemy is complete secluded from everyone else.

So I like the whole "video game" aspect of using silent weapons. We want to pretend that no one can here those quiet pops in. Now if it's noisy then you should be able to get away with certain maneuvers. However so far it doesn't matter. The game needs some tweaking, but overall it's nice. Hopefully Eidos can fix multiple issues. Hopefully the complainers will shut up. However I'm not calling anyone in this topic a complainer. I'm just saying.
---
NEW Video Game Remakes Uploaded
http://www.youtube.com/user/sknocturnal
#19micey13(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 2:53:07 AM
sknmak posted...
Oh snap no apollo flaming and trolling. Perfect time to post.

Well I had a few questions about the "silent" take downs as well. It's the opposite for me. If I think about choking anyone people ALWAYS here it. If I go 1v1 hand to hand CQC with anyone .....NPCs and enemies always here it! So for me the fiber wire is always and I repeat......ALWAYS the 100% sure way not to get caught. No matter how much they kick, choke and no matter how many boxes or random debri is shuffled in the process. Sometimes I can get away with silent weapon take downs. I don't even take the chance on Purist Mode. Snapping necks or choking only works when the enemy is complete secluded from everyone else.

So I like the whole "video game" aspect of using silent weapons. We want to pretend that no one can here those quiet pops in. Now if it's noisy then you should be able to get away with certain maneuvers. However so far it doesn't matter. The game needs some tweaking, but overall it's nice. Hopefully Eidos can fix multiple issues. Hopefully the complainers will shut up. However I'm not calling anyone in this topic a complainer. I'm just saying.

I tried easy mode for the first time yesterday and the silenced weapons/takedowns worked but even a bit too well, you can really breeze through levels. Not to mention hardly using up instinct mode when blending in. The increase in difficulty and detecion time etc between easy and normal is crazy and completely disproportional. Like you said, some tweaks here an' there and this might be one of the best hitman games ever.

And to the dude above arguing that the way silenced weapons/cqc works now is "realistic", just look at it this way. If this rule applied to James Bond he wouldn't have made it out of Dr.No alive. And besides, since when has hitman been about realism? Unless you believe that a latex/stiletto clad group of assassin nuns actually exist.
---
goin' with the flow
#20NogardaPosted 11/28/2012 3:05:09 AM
this is going to get a major fix from the official forum thread I read. I shot a target on the opposite end of the map, and he went down, but a guard I couldn't even see! saw the body go down and started firing on my exact location on its way to check the body XD.
---
'Get a reputation for answering phones, and all they do is ring.' - Luther