This is a great stealth game.

#21laughandahalfPosted 11/27/2012 6:06:32 PM
Maelstrom52 posted...
laughandahalf posted...
forgotten0285 posted...
So you create a contract....

How does that solve the problem? If I create a contract, there is still no puzzle to solve. Nothing to gain from experimenting. And it still results in a contract that has only one correct way to play.

Why is it so hard to admit that this game is fundamentally different than previous Hitmans? I'm not even saying the game is bad or that I don't like the game. It's just different.

What is "fundamentally" different about it? It has certain operational differences, but it is not FUNDAMENTALLY different than previous Hitman games.

For the reasons I just said. We're going around in circles. The whole point of previous Hitman games was to explore and experiment in the open maps to find the best way to kill your target. That is a concept which, for the most part, has been replaced with the standard stealth game structure of hiding behind waist-high walls and getting from point A to point B. Often levels didn't even contain hits at all or replaced them with cut scenes. Seeing as hits are a pretty big part of the Hitman franchise, I'd say that's a fundamental change.
---
My user name is crap. I know.
#22Maelstrom52Posted 11/27/2012 6:59:31 PM
laughandahalf posted...
Maelstrom52 posted...
laughandahalf posted...
forgotten0285 posted...

How does that solve the problem? If I create a contract, there is still no puzzle to solve. Nothing to gain from experimenting. And it still results in a contract that has only one correct way to play.

Why is it so hard to admit that this game is fundamentally different than previous Hitmans? I'm not even saying the game is bad or that I don't like the game. It's just different.

What is "fundamentally" different about it? It has certain operational differences, but it is not FUNDAMENTALLY different than previous Hitman games.

For the reasons I just said. We're going around in circles. The whole point of previous Hitman games was to explore and experiment in the open maps to find the best way to kill your target. That is a concept which, for the most part, has been replaced with the standard stealth game structure of hiding behind waist-high walls and getting from point A to point B. Often levels didn't even contain hits at all or replaced them with cut scenes. Seeing as hits are a pretty big part of the Hitman franchise, I'd say that's a fundamental change.

You still do that....A LOT! I would argue that most of the levels involve killing a target (and often offering a variety of different ways to do so), so I don't much understand your criticism. I understand that there are escape and evade missions in the game (and those are understandably more "stealth-based), but the meat and potatoes of the game is still very much about finding unique and clever ways to dispatch your opponents. In the other Hitman games, there was also an "escape" component. It didn't just end the mission when you killed your target, but it was just integrated within the level. I don't see how making the "escape" portion of the mission separate from the main "kill" portion of the mission somehow fundamentally changes the game.

There still plenty of exploration to be had. Are you just playing the game totally differently than me? If were to put the Blood Money missions into Hitman Absolution, you would play them exactly the same, so how has anything been fundamentally changed?
---
...and that's how I roll!
#23WraithlikePosted 11/27/2012 7:04:29 PM
forgotten0285 posted...
game is called Hitman: Absolution.

So technically, legally, and in reality this is actually a Hitman game, regardless of what the neckbeards have to say about it.

I have noticed people who defend this game are incredibly venomous.

The developers clearly missed the point of what makes a Hitman game. This feels more like Splinter Cell. It feels like there are more pure stealth levels than levels with a target. As a stealth game it is decent. As a Hitman game it fails utterly.
#24laughandahalfPosted 11/27/2012 7:45:58 PM
Maelstrom52 posted...

You still do that....A LOT! I would argue that most of the levels involve killing a target (and often offering a variety of different ways to do so), so I don't much understand your criticism.

I believe you are mistaken. But in the interest of fairness, I'll make a list and mark the levels that could arguably be described like that. And honestly, I think I'm being pretty liberal in the levels I'm marking, because many of them were still primarily sneaking your way to the target, rather than figuring out how to cause an accidental kill.

A Personal Contract: Gardens
A Personal Contract: Greenhouse
A Personal Contract: Cliffside
A Personal Contract: Mansion Ground Floor
A Personal Contract: Mansion 2nd Floor
---The King of Chinatown: Chinatown Square
Terminus: Terminus Hotel
Terminus: Upperfloors
Run for Your Life: Buring Hotel
Run for Your Life: The Library
Run for Your Life: Pigeon Coop
Run for Your Life: Shangra-La
Run for Your Life: Train Station
Hunter and Hunted: Courtyard
---Hunter and Hunted: The Vixen Club
Hunter and Hunted: Dressing Rooms
Hunter and Hunted: Derelict Building
Hunter and Hunted: Convenience Store
Hunter and Hunted: Loading Area
---Hunter and Hunted: Chinese New Year
Rosewood: Victoria's Ward
Rosewood: Orphanage Halls
Rosewood: Central Heating
Welcome to Hope: Great Balls of Fire
Birdie's Gift: Gun Shop
---Shaving Lenny: Streets of Hope
---Shaving Lenny: Barbershop
End of the Road: The Desert
Dexter Industries: Dead End
Dexter Industries: Old Mill
Dexter Industries: Descent
Dexter Industries: Factory Compound
---Death Factory: Test Facility
Death Factory: Decontamination
---Death Factory: R&D
Fight Night: Patriots Hanger
---Fight Night: The Arena
---Attack of the Saints: Parking
---Attack of the Saints: Reception
---Attack of the Saints: Cornfield
Skurky's Law: Courthouse
Skurky's Law: Holding Cell
Skurky's Law: Prison
Operation Sledgehammer: County Jail
Operation Sledgehammer: Outgunned
Operation Sledgehammer: Burn
Operation Sledgehammer: Hope Fair
One of a Kind: Tailor Shop
Blackwater Park: Blackwater Park
---Blackwater Park: The Penthouse
Countdown: Blackwater Roof
Absolution: Cemetery Entrance
---Absolution: Burnwood Family Tomb
Absolution: The Crematorium

13 kind of standard Hitman levels to 41 sneaking around levels and filler. That's honestly better than I thought.
---
My user name is crap. I know.
#25guineathewopPosted 11/27/2012 7:47:25 PM
Wraithlike posted...

I've also noticed they're complete idiots. Which is not really surprising given the dumbed downed nature of this game I guess idiots would be their target audience.
#26Maelstrom52Posted 11/27/2012 10:36:01 PM
guineathewop posted...
Wraithlike posted...

I've also noticed they're complete idiots. Which is not really surprising given the dumbed downed nature of this game I guess idiots would be their target audience.

It's good to see that unlike those of us defending the game the detractors aren't venomous at all....LOL!
---
#27CalistoCoonPosted 11/27/2012 10:42:31 PM
laughandahalf posted...
forgotten0285 posted...

Set the Contract to be able to be killed by any weapon or any disguise, then that way they are free to experiment. I've seen a few that do that, you just have to look.
---
GT:Emotional Hobo
#28Maelstrom52Posted 11/27/2012 10:42:41 PM
laughandahalf posted...
Maelstrom52 posted...

You still do that....A LOT! I would argue that most of the levels involve killing a target (and often offering a variety of different ways to do so), so I don't much understand your criticism.

I believe you are mistaken. But in the interest of fairness, I'll make a list and mark the levels that could arguably be described like that. And honestly, I think I'm being pretty liberal in the levels I'm marking, because many of them were still primarily sneaking your way to the target, rather than figuring out how to cause an accidental kill.

13 kind of standard Hitman levels to 41 sneaking around levels and filler. That's honestly better than I thought.

Yeah, but the majority of the time spent playing the game is spent on the sections of the game where you are trying to assassinate someone. The other parts of the game, while more numerous, Don't take up nearly as much time as the "contract" missions (save for maybe one or two). And also, even in the missions where you don't have a specific "target" there are plenty of ways to achieve your objective by taking out some key personnel or VIP or something. That's what everyone is trying to tell you. There's plenty of "Hitman" in this game. It's just not so laid out for you like Blood Money was.
---
#29doraemonllh1989Posted 11/28/2012 12:52:22 AM(edited)
forgotten0285 posted...
laughandahalf posted...
forgotten0285 posted...
game is called Hitman: Absolution.

So technically, legally, and in reality this is actually a Hitman game, regardless of what the neckbeards have to say about it.

People need to stop making this argument. It's stopped being funny or cute. Stop being intentionally dense and taking the criticism so literally, when what people are clearly trying to get across is that it doesn't feel like a traditional Htman game.

well stop making that dumb argument. because i have played all of the hitman games, and absolution definitely feels like the games that came before it.

rejection of change in any shape or form is nothing more than a sign of mental weakness.

Not really,you sound more like a blinded defender,no offense
---
my grammar sucks and i dont care
disappointing game of the year = re6 (6.5/10)
#30KontroLz85Posted 11/28/2012 1:57:59 AM(edited)
Maelstrom52 posted...
laughandahalf posted...
forgotten0285 posted...

Wow, the cognitive dissonance has gotten so bad now that people are pretending this game is just like BM and the previous Hitman games?

This game is focused more on moving from one area to another without being seen while moving from cover to cover. That is what the rest of the game was built around, it explains the checkpoints and disguise system, as well as the laughably ridiculous number of bottles and bricks laying around EVERYWHERE. The previous games were based more on puzzle-solving and exploring. Two completely different experiences. That's why this plays more like Splinter Cell than it does any previous Hitman game.

That is how it's fundamentally different. Here are some smaller differences (some which still greatly effect the game imo) off the top of my head:

No manual saving
No inter-mission notoriety
No selecting load-outs before each mission
Levels are divided up into sections instead of large sandboxes (with only a few exceptions)
You don't have your signature silver ballers for quite a few missions
No map
You can see through walls and you can see guard's paths

I enjoy this game but it is a departure for the franchise. Whether you prefer the changes or not, they are there.
---
don't blame the game the game can't corrupt it's on save