So the developers couldn't fix the Damn save glitch?

#21Mike_Alstott40Posted 12/22/2012 4:29:03 PM
You can name a few. Congrats. I can name hundreds without save glitches. Not my fault you guys have low standards.
---
A-Train, son!
#22ShELbY_GT500Posted 12/22/2012 4:40:29 PM
Mike_Alstott40 posted...
You can name a few. Congrats. I can name hundreds without save glitches. Not my fault you guys have low standards.

Obviously you have no friends. Why else would you be hanging around with a bunch of guys with 'low standards'.

Continue to post on this board though because everyone is acknowledging how pathetic you trolls are.
---
Mess with the bull?...
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcxb98pROb1r6r2k3o1_250.jpg
#23PostalDudesHerePosted 12/22/2012 7:27:29 PM
ApolloCreed posted...
It's common for games to be released with glitches. What is not common is game companies being so clueless that they don't know how to fix game breaking glitches in their own game.

Not only that, but this game is terrible, lol, if a game is going to suck it should at least continue sucking from your last save point.

100% wrong as usual. there are many glitches out there (most are minor but some are serious) that the creators have no idea how to fix. stop acting like you know what you're talking about since you obviously don't.
---
bet you didn't think you'd die today? SURPRISE!
#24theos666Posted 12/22/2012 11:16:31 PM
It isn't that the developers don't know how to fix a glitch. On production they have a team of testers who sit day after day replaying the same part of a game documenting any glitch they come across. The glitch is rated for seriousness and entered into a database for the programmers. The game breaking glitches are fixed first and different builds are sent to the testers. Before going Gold they have the testers play through the game in its entirety, start to finish. After release most of the team moves onto other projects. Some of the testers are even let go.

Now think of a program like a spiders web. Everything is connected. You pull a thread over here and something moves in another place. So the programmers "fix" a glitch. This can potentially cause another glitch. It is also possible that there is more than one cause for a glitch.

In this post release patch era of gaming the rules have changed a little bit. You can be a company like Bethesda and release an "unfinished game" with the intention of fixing issues post release. Companies can address issues that slipped past them on production as well.

I can't say which viewpoint IOI had. The fact remains that they addressed an issue promptly post production. They did not release a day 1 patch like was released for Assassin's Creed 3 so I am inclined to believe that the save issue was an unfortunate accident. Just because this patch did not fix the glitch 100% doesn't mean they aren't working on a fix for it right now.
---
Rule 2, ignore rule 1.
#25drointhewindPosted 12/22/2012 11:39:27 PM
theos666 posted...
It isn't that the developers don't know how to fix a glitch. On production they have a team of testers who sit day after day replaying the same part of a game documenting any glitch they come across. The glitch is rated for seriousness and entered into a database for the programmers. The game breaking glitches are fixed first and different builds are sent to the testers. Before going Gold they have the testers play through the game in its entirety, start to finish. After release most of the team moves onto other projects. Some of the testers are even let go.

Now think of a program like a spiders web. Everything is connected. You pull a thread over here and something moves in another place. So the programmers "fix" a glitch. This can potentially cause another glitch. It is also possible that there is more than one cause for a glitch.

In this post release patch era of gaming the rules have changed a little bit. You can be a company like Bethesda and release an "unfinished game" with the intention of fixing issues post release. Companies can address issues that slipped past them on production as well.

I can't say which viewpoint IOI had. The fact remains that they addressed an issue promptly post production. They did not release a day 1 patch like was released for Assassin's Creed 3 so I am inclined to believe that the save issue was an unfortunate accident. Just because this patch did not fix the glitch 100% doesn't mean they aren't working on a fix for it right now.

Excellent post. I worked for a tech company that had a crappy program called Regroup. They had trouble adding facebook functionality because everytime they fixed one thing, it caused another problem on the other side.
I can only imagine what its like for a complex game.
On the other side tho, this isn't some indie game. Its a AAA game by a major publisher. Glitches will happen, but game breaking glitches I have no love for
---
On DLC: ""You know what would make this better? Paying more money."- Cracked.com
#26theos666Posted 12/23/2012 1:23:03 AM
First, thank you. I was offered a job as a gaming company as a tester after pursuing it for a number of years. Unfortunately, I had just decided to move to another city to be closer to my girlfriend. We are married now with 2 kids.

I would personally rate this save glitch as a 3 or 4 for seriousness in regards to being game breaking. As a gamer you have the ability to backup your save 3 different ways: memory card, USB stick, or Cloud storage. The simple fact is it is data. Data isn't safe in one place.

Imagine updating the new iPhone 5 to discover all of your contacts erased off of your phone. You go to the iStore yo talk to a Genius who asks you if you have a backup your phone. They offer free Cloud storage and you can backup to iTunes on your computer. You reply that you shouldn't need to backup because it is their update that erased your contacts. You proceed to demand your money back for your phone. What do you think the Genius would say to you?

That is how I see the glitch. I don't have a backup of my save because I don't care if my save is erased. I will backup if I am affected.

As a Gold member you have access to free Cloud storage. It takes a minute to copy your save from your hard drive to the Cloud. If you aren't Gold invest in second storage. Memory cards are dirt cheap. USB sticks will give you 16 gigs of storage. The burden is on you to safeguard data that is important to you.
---
Rule 2, ignore rule 1.
#27DRzCalderon(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2012 1:43:41 AM
In all seriousness in regards towards Hitman Absolution, the only thing keeping me from playing the game any further ( on Professional ) is this save glitch. I can understand that I could just back the save every time but it will grow to be a chore every time I do so. Especially since I won't know when it could happen.

Secondly, I grow disappointed with the developers for removing the save anywhere feature from it's previous titles. Maybe and JUST MAYBE the occurrence of this glitch would have be avoided if it stood the same. ( But I bet it has something to do with the leaderboards) And game breaking glitches like this aren't quite common. The last one I knew was in RE5.

BTW, I'm playing Splinter Cell conviction at the moment and all I can say is....

It plays almost EXACTLY like Hitman or more accurately the other way around. Excluding the disguise system of course. The development team who worked on Absolution would make one BADASS splinter cell game. No joke.
---
"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
#28dunriwikanPosted 12/23/2012 5:08:37 AM
Most new games have save glitches. Fortunately I have not been a victim of Hitman, but Batman: Arkum City burned me good. I was at 90% total completion (all riddler clues and most of challenges completed). It was a very hard lesson to learn about backing up my data. I would rather spend the extra literally 1 minute to copy my file. Hitman isn't the only AAA title with save glitches, there is a very long list of games that have never been fixed.

On another note, the game is a ton of fun. The disguise system is slightly flawed, but not game breaking. The reason people hate it is because they' have no patience and no skill. If the system worked exactly how they wanted it to, there would be no challenge to the game whatsoever. They don't want to sneak around, they just want an hour challenge and then shelve the game.
#29Mike_Alstott40Posted 12/23/2012 6:30:29 AM
dunriwikan posted...
Most new games have save glitches. Fortunately I have not been a victim of Hitman, but Batman: Arkum City burned me good. I was at 90% total completion (all riddler clues and most of challenges completed). It was a very hard lesson to learn about backing up my data. I would rather spend the extra literally 1 minute to copy my file. Hitman isn't the only AAA title with save glitches, there is a very long list of games that have never been fixed.

On another note, the game is a ton of fun. The disguise system is slightly flawed, but not game breaking. The reason people hate it is because they' have no patience and no skill. If the system worked exactly how they wanted it to, there would be no challenge to the game whatsoever. They don't want to sneak around, they just want an hour challenge and then shelve the game.

From what I have gathered from others and myself, it's not that the disguise system is "hard". It doesn't make sense. In a city full of Chicago PD, every officer knows you. Impossible. Yet, you are a crooked judge in a small town that's buddy buddy with the sheriff and no one notices when you switch. Also, it bothers me that when I'm in a club surrounded by people, not facing a guard, I still have a chance to get my cover blown.
---
A-Train, son!
#30theos666Posted 12/23/2012 2:05:34 PM
Change of subject, eh.

There is something in video games called game mechanics. In Doom you can carry every weapon you come across. In Halo 4 you can carry 2 at a time. In Deus Ex Hunan Revolution takedowns consume energy. In Hitman Absolution when you dress in a similar disguise as other people they become naturally suspicious of you.

Game mechanics is a logic specific to a single game. In Deus Ex takedowns burn energy cells to slow gameplay down. Gameplay mechanics are not always added to enhance realism.

The disguise system in Absolution was tweaked to encourage the use of the cover system. They added burning instinct as an alternative to cover on lower difficulties. The fact of the matter is the game would be to easy if there wasn't the suspicion.
---
Rule 2, ignore rule 1.