Having trouble understanding the disguise system

#1vishusmartishusPosted 1/25/2013 5:08:52 PM
Hey guys,

I just picked up this game today because it was on sale and it got good reviews. I am having a lot of fun, but having a bit of trouble understanding the disguise system. I started out playing on hard because I like a good challenge, but it seems like the NPCs figure me out way too fast!

I just have a few questions about the disguises:

a) does it matter which way you or an NPC is facing, when the game determines whether you will be suspicious or not?

b) Is there any good way to get past NPCs in close quarters without using instinct?

c) Any other general tips about how to use the disguise system effectively?

Thanks!
---
why are there so many idiots on gfaqs....... - rkzhao
#2LDNPosted 1/25/2013 5:16:25 PM
Once they got you on their line of sight, use your instinct, they will start thinking they never seen you before.

If you don't have any instinct, start distracting them, the NPC's on this game are extremely gullible when it comes to distracting them.
---
"On a Ferrari, The engine provides your music"-Enzo
#3cbstevenPosted 1/25/2013 7:03:06 PM
Throwing items to make enemies move to where you want them is pretty much indispensable.
---
Xbox Live - Nelluk
#4zenandiPosted 1/25/2013 9:40:22 PM
vishusmartishus posted...
a) does it matter which way you or an NPC is facing, when the game determines whether you will be suspicious or not?

It makes all the difference.

If they're looking at you, they'll see you. If not, you can literally walk right behind them. Also, if you simply turn your back to them, that helps you lose some of their attention.

b) Is there any good way to get past NPCs in close quarters without using instinct?

Again, you can walk right behind them, without a disguise even. No line of sight = no problem. As far as distraction goes, remember that you can chain these. Throw something, then throw something else. You can literally lure someone across an entire map for you to take out safely. Silenced guns are also distractions.

c) Any other general tips about how to use the disguise system effectively?

Simply accept this -- Disguise A is only completely safe from Group B, and not its own Group A. That doesn't mean its completely worthless from Group A, seeing as you can still Instinct with it past those people, but it means you don't get a free pass.

In other words, pick your disguise according to the people that's going to be in that room. Chinatown for instance, I would not pick a Cop, because they're much harder to spot and they also move around, while the chefs are largely stationary.

In the hotel, the Janitor is much more rare than the guards, who are all over the place, so use that instead. In other words, pick the costume that's going to keep you safe, not make you get spotted every ten steps.

Finally, there are several rare/unique disguises in some of the stages that gives you a complete free pass around the stage -- Chef in the Mansion, Barber in the Barbershop, Plumber in hope (as far as the Garage goes....), Judge in the Courtroom etc... Get these, THEN you can fully relax.

Most people expect a free pass whenever they're in disguise. Unfortunately, that's not what the devs intended in this game.
#5zenandiPosted 1/26/2013 2:12:09 AM
But most importantly, the game is basically a stealth puzzle for you to solve.

If a certain part seems impossible, chances are you've missed something - a vent, a disguise, an event, a hidden poison, an alternative route.

I've just now, for instance, discovered what was giving me grief in Derelict Building --- I missed a WHOLE SECOND LEVEL, and something there that would distract everyone.

The best tip is to explore carefully and thoroughly.
#6chancevancePosted 1/26/2013 8:37:35 AM
I know this probably isn't the type of advice you might have been looking for but my tip for using the disguise system is honestly to just not use it at all.
There are literally only a handful of sections in the game where using a disguise makes things significantly easier for you and in fact I found by restricting myself to the suit it forced me to find alternate or unorthodox solutions and considering you said you like a good challenge it'll certainly provide you with one
---
http://www.accelerator3359.com/Wrestling/pictures/canadiandestroyerani.gif
"As lightless oblivion devours you, drown in the ever-blooming darkness"
#7vishusmartishus(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 9:24:32 AM
Thanks for the useful responses guys, I am gonna just try to get through this play on hard, then step it down to normal for the 2nd playthrough in order to really study each level and find the instinct tips. Right now I'm just interested in the story and the gameplay isn't very fun to me, but that's probably because I've never played a hitman game before and I need to adjust to the style of the gameplay. Plus, learning the ins and outs of each level and learning all the little tricks and ways to kill each target will help on the harder difficulties.
---
why are there so many idiots on gfaqs....... - rkzhao
#8Erik_PPosted 1/26/2013 2:56:09 PM
vishusmartishus posted...
Thanks for the useful responses guys, I am gonna just try to get through this play on hard, then step it down to normal for the 2nd playthrough in order to really study each level and find the instinct tips. Right now I'm just interested in the story and the gameplay isn't very fun to me, but that's probably because I've never played a hitman game before and I need to adjust to the style of the gameplay. Plus, learning the ins and outs of each level and learning all the little tricks and ways to kill each target will help on the harder difficulties.

You don't find the gameplay fun because it isn't.

You can knock the difficulty down all you like but you'll still deal with the same crap disguise issues.
---
Yippee ki yay Mr Falcon
#9Moss_27Posted 1/26/2013 6:45:27 PM
Here is my advice, from someone who started the series with Blood Money and loves Absolution.

Play on Normal until you have mastered the levels. Starting on Hard is silly. There is no way that you will be able to discover the clever kills, weapons, and secrets in the game if you aren't allowing yourself to get some help finding them. When you use instinct on Normal difficulty, the game will point out objects/areas of interest for you. This help is very important to help master how the game is played. On Hard mode, this isn't here. You are making things far more stressful and less fun by taking away the needed hints to show you how the game is meant to be played to maximize the fun.

On Normal, most levels will point out areas/weapons/hints that will guide you to how to perform accidental kills. Things like poisining food, dropping a car on a target. Kills that will let you get away free without any suspicion of it being a murder. There is no better feeling than walking in, causing an 'accident', then walking to the exit with nobody knowing what you just pulled off. The normal difficult also will show you where keycards or extra outfits are located. Playing on normal (or easy) is the best tutorial on how to play this game and get the most out of it.

As for the disguise system...as long as you have instinct, the digsuises are excellent. The best ways to gain instinct are: non-lethal enemy takedowns, hiding the bodies, and retrieving evidence. Test it out, and take down a guard with your hands..you will see how much of a boost in instict it gives you. Now hide the body inside a container. Even more. As long as you have instinct, you can bypass any area you need to. At the same time, it is always a good idea to try to stay out of the line of sight of enemies with the same disguise as you. Hiding in the middle of a crowd can do this, along with standing behind a pillar or wall. If you need to walk by a guard in the same disguise, hold press and hold the instinct button *before* you get into his line of sight, and keep holding it until you pass him.

As for collecting evidence, every level (and sublevel) has one piece of evidence hidden in it. If you pick it up, you get a large instinct boost as well.

Take your time, play on normal, and use intinct to get to every flashing hint in the level. You will figure out the best, most interesting kills, and it will help on future playthroughs.
---
| Hitman: Absolution | Splinter Cell: Blacklist | GTA V |
#10SavottPosted 1/27/2013 11:25:57 PM
You don't find the gameplay fun because it isn't.

You can knock the difficulty down all you like but you'll still deal with the same crap disguise issues.

You seem like someone who doesn't like a challenge and wants the easy system back from Blood Money.
---
The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck is the day they make the Xbox 360.