I ignored all the hate as nostalgic fanboys and went ahead and picked this up

#1Robot_SoopaPosted 3/8/2013 8:58:55 AM
Normally I find the people complaining tend to just be nitpicking or overstating the flaws. But man I just did not enjoy this game one bit.

I felt like I was punished for experimenting and having fun which doesn't make sense because half the fun in the Hitman games is just being creative and killing everyone.

But you lose points for not taking the extreme linear path and only killing the target.

If you even BREATH wrong in an empty room with nobody in sight the entire level lights up with guards and they instantly know where you're at.

The fact that the AI is so sensitive makes it difficult to actually do anything original. You're basically locked into 1 of 3 of the default kills.

It feels more like a Splinter Cell game except Splinter Cell games are tailored for this so there's a lot more sneaking and you actually have the gadget and skills to get creative.

I'm playing through Tomb Raider right now and it's honestly a more fun stealth game than this was.

It's just disheartening as I was really looking for some good creative fun that wasn't like every other game with a gun out there but what I got was a really linear boring experience.
#2hellobob09Posted 3/8/2013 10:19:31 AM
I wasn't pleased with the linear levels either, keep playing though.

There's a few good classic Hitman style levels, and a TON of awesome Contracts, often on the levels that were linear in the story.

The AI bothered me less than most people, but a Blood Money style disguise system would have been better received.

There's also some great accidental kills that require a bit of ingenuity.

I'd say stick with it and go down a difficulty if you absolutely hate the AI.
---
Above the Ignorance
#3gobuffalo30Posted 3/8/2013 11:02:59 AM
I agree TC. At the beginning of the game it felt like I had to do certain things a certain way or be penalized in score. Then 2/3 feels like I'm sneaking around, avoiding contact, finding ways to get around without being seen, rather than looking for my target and finding a way to kill them. Very boring.
#4Shellman704Posted 3/9/2013 6:14:58 PM
I do agree the point system is.unforgiving and can be a major turn off to a new player, weater hitman noob or series vet.

It was a major turn off for.me but honestly i got past it and found that you will usually have a positive score at the end as long as you dont go rambo and/or botch the assassination attempt and made it hard on yourself, but really isnt that the same as getting a certain grade at end of mission in other hitmans? Maybe having it in your face at all times is intimidating or/and nerve racking.

You made a really good point topic creator. Full disclosure i thoroughly enjoy absolution...
---
XBLGT = ShellmanQCM --- Diablo III = Shellman#1293
Now Playing = The Walking Dead, NBA 2k13, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, Far Cry 3, Hitman: Absolution
#5Moss_27Posted 3/10/2013 10:32:57 AM
"If you even BREATH wrong in an empty room with nobody in sight the entire level lights up with guards and they instantly know where you're at.

The fact that the AI is so sensitive makes it difficult to actually do anything original. You're basically locked into 1 of 3 of the default kills."

Um..this sounds more like Blood Money than Absolution. Look at a guard the wrong way and suddenly the entire level's guards come shooting after you.

This actually doesn't happen in Absolution. The only time I have had chaos break out when making a kill has been if I killed someone right in the middle of guards and NPCs.
---
| Hitman: Absolution | Splinter Cell: Blacklist | GTA V |
#6Shellman704Posted 3/10/2013 10:45:51 AM
Moss_27 posted...
"If you even BREATH wrong in an empty room with nobody in sight the entire level lights up with guards and they instantly know where you're at.

The fact that the AI is so sensitive makes it difficult to actually do anything original. You're basically locked into 1 of 3 of the default kills."

Um..this sounds more like Blood Money than Absolution. Look at a guard the wrong way and suddenly the entire level's guards come shooting after you.

This actually doesn't happen in Absolution. The only time I have had chaos break out when making a kill has been if I killed someone right in the middle of guards and NPCs.

Moss, in a lot of posts regarding an older game that people view highly of, I find a lot of these posts are blinded by nostalgia (not just hitman series, but especially by the hitman serie) and people really dont seem to remember the cons or negatives about an old classic/favorite...
---
Now Playing = The Walking Dead, NBA 2k13, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, Far Cry 3, Hitman: Absolution
#7Moss_27Posted 3/10/2013 1:32:20 PM
I agree completely. I really think Blood Money was one of the most creative games out there and one with some great level design and ideas, but it has some of the poorest gameplay mechanics on any game I've played. It really is awful. I played Hitman Silent Assassin for the first time last month, and it was a big mistake. I could totally how it appealed to a niche market. My mistake was not playing it at the time that it came out.

Even then, I don't think that it would have aged well enough today to warrant any praise. I loved the Splinter Cell series and had every entry on its release date.I tried to play it from the start a few years ago and couldn't. One of my favourite series' ever was a chore to play through today. It's okay to say that a game isn't as good as it used to be. And it's ok to point out blatant flaws and bad gameplay in the game that we ignored when we first experience the games years ago.

Basically everything besides the creative levels was bad in Blood Money. Absolution improved tenfold on all of the awful things Blood Money did. The gameplay is fantastic. I never thought that a stealth fan would complain about needing to use more stealth and strategy to succeed and get satisfaction from a stealth game. it's usually the other way around where stealth aspects are taken away in games nowadays.
---
#8Shellman704Posted 3/10/2013 2:08:22 PM
Really really great ponts.

A game that is simply amazing in 2004 isnt necessarily fun in 2013. Gota look at what made it good, 75% of the time it is the fact that the game is so "new" and "unique" but 5+ years later most games will feel dated bc that unique and new feeling has been replicated and most likely improved in that time frame...

That being said i am not a stealth game fanatic by any means (maybe why i enjoy absolution so?) But it too enjoyed the early splinter cells and hitman2 when it was new (never played the next i think contracts).. to be honest when i played blood money on my 360 i did not like it. It felt like a ps2/xb1 games that wasnt great in terms of gameplay. Of course there were creative missions, absolution has those too

I think the main thing I loved about blood money was the newspaper clippings detailing your crime/assassination. I loved trying to replay and see the differences in the articles and see what it would say when i preformed at silent assassin level.
---
#9hlaalumaster9Posted 3/12/2013 8:16:03 AM
I think the main problem with Absolution is that the mechanics are so transparent. You don't feel like you're sneaking into a military base, you feel like you're click the right thumbstick and moving from cover to cover hoping no one's detection meter fills by the time you make it there.

I feel like Dishonored is a better Hitman game than Absolution, which is sad because I used to love the Hitman games.
---
World Champions. World ****ing Champions!~Chase Utley
Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost ~A7X
#10Moss_27Posted 3/12/2013 7:54:07 PM
You don't need to hide from cover to cover and sneak like that if you're in a disguise though..I don't understand what is causing this to happen. I've played through the game on normal a bunch of times and am maybe halfway through on hard and haven't had any issues with needing to hide from cover to cover to get through the missions.

It took some trial and error to get a feel for how the game was designed and what you could get away with doing to avoid blowing cover since this game is unlike any other before, but once I got a feel for it, it became second nature.

I wonder if people complaining about the digsuise/navigating levels aren't taking advantage of how the game is designed in order to succeed and enjoy the stealth aspects, along with being able to walk around in disguises and explore the levels. You just need to be more careful and know your surroundings.
---