Why all the hate on this game?

#61mgs_4life5150Posted 9/22/2013 1:43:37 PM
Infinite 2003 posted...
CLMitchell posted...
Infinite 2003 posted...
What is is with all the praise for Blood Money these days? When it released I remember I remember it being widely considered the worst in the series (well after the first one). People hated how easy and simplified it was. Myself included.

You're either full of it, or mistakenly assuming your opinion was reflected by the majority at the time of release.

Or because that's how it actually was. Many Hitman purists hated how easy and casualized Blood Money is. Because face it. It is. I got Silent Assassin on Professional on every mission in Blood Money with ease. It's a joke compared to the older games. And compared to Absolution for that matter.

i thought it was easy too but , all my friends think it is the hardest in the series and i think one guy even said hardest he ever played. blood money will always be my favorite with SA in second, code name 47 in 3rd, then contracts, then absolution
---
NOT REMOVING UNTIL MGS staring the boss is released
MG Meryl would be cool too as long as there is NO akiba
#62UsTigersPosted 9/24/2013 12:09:00 PM
I don't blame the developers for experimenting a bit, but other than the obviously unwelcome linear sections; the whole instinct view system (don't remember what it was called i played it awhile back), and the bar that shows up when you're about to be noticed were also big turnoffs for me. After playing Hitman 2 again on the HD collection, I much preferred the simple (yet sometimes ridiculously punishing and wonky) mechanic of not being too close for too long to others in the same outfit that may blow your cover. This can be more forgiving though if you SA or at least didn't get spotted in the previous missions. The bar (and it's underlying mechanic) that shows and starts filling up ridiculously fast in Absolution because some some dude sees the side of your sometimes masked head from way across a room or crowd was completely annoying and broke immersion in the atmosphere the game was trying to set up for me, so did the very limited instinct view or mode required to counter it (maybe some sort of randomly generated interrogation system would work better? Not saying i'd want it Blood Money easy). Seems to work like a line of sight stealth mechanic that may work good for the splinter cell type segments of sneaking through enemy territory, but when applied to the disguise system it seemed to break it many ways.
Also, one of the main things i was hoping they would not change that they completely screwed up Absolution in taking out was the ability to seamlessly enter 1st and 3rd person views whenever you wanted; that was always one of my favorite things about the hitman series, and now after adding all these beautiful details to the environments, and a lot more action segments, they decided to take it out...??!!
Despite all that i still enjoyed playing through the game, especially since they had revolvers on most the levels i think as that's the only weapon i cared to use if i have to go loud haha so the lack of a loadout selection wasn't too bad.. I agree with many though, it did not feel like a hitman game.. The atmosphere they usually immerse me in was only present in some levels and was often broken, maybe the lack of jesper kyd helped with that as well heh...
#63ooStuStuPosted 9/24/2013 4:04:49 PM
i liked it, i know it had its issues. for me the challenges for each level gave it replay value because the first time through i was just trying to get to the next level. Now that i am going back through I find myself looking into the challenges to complete them. Hopefully they made some money with this one so they will try again for another installment
---
RED SCREEN CLAN [RS4E]=[RS].......... Please stop saying "Kid" be original
PSN & XBOX GT= ooStuStu .............. DON'T SHOOT I'M RELOADING!!!!!
#64Gigant0pithecusPosted 10/13/2013 6:14:31 PM
I understand the hate from passionate fans of this series. There are good changes, and there are bad ones; mostly based on opinions. The hardcore fans as a whole probably didn't like the changes and considered them to be bad/unnecessary.

I don't hate the game, personally, but I find it the weakest in the series as a traditional Hitman game. I believe I'm only around halfway through the game as I type this, but I'll list just a few pros and cons:

+ Hitman: Contracts Mode
+ Improved Hand-to-Hand combat (not that I don't just reload after screwing up to the point of having to engage in it, but it's more involved this time)
+ Somewhat more fluid controls in and out of combat (subjective)
+ Now able to subdue/neck-snap without the need of syringes
___

- Too many linear 'sneak past the police in the dark' levels and not enough open sandbox levels with actual hits and creative ways to kill them (<- Most important con by far)
- Removal of Syringes as default equipment (remedied I suppose with the subdue mechanic, though poisons and sedatives are much cooler)
- More of a personal one, but they made 47 look too different this time around; he looks elf-like in his face and not even really similar to the older 47 models unless you view him from different angles. They just changed his facial features too much for my liking.
- Don't care for the 'Instinct' stuff that replaced the traditional map

I find it to play a lot like SC: Conviction, which isn't good as I also found that to be a weak SC installment. They made some good and bad decisions here, but again that mostly depends on how much of a fan you are of the older games, and what you did or didn't like about them. It's an okay game for what it does offer, but is also easily the worst of the Hitman games imo.
---
XBL GT: Gigantopithecus
#65Kid Maze(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2013 11:22:16 AM
^ I don't agree at all. I loved splinter cell conviction. Only complaint for that game was how easy it was even on realistic. But I see very little comparison to conviction and absolution at all. I would actually say IMO that either this or blood money would be my fav hitman games. I just don't get it? Even the problems people bring up are very minor to hate or dislike a game for those reasons
---
XBOX live gamertag: S1Y M4ZE
#66shawnmckPosted 11/29/2013 2:11:40 PM
I don't get the hate either.
I've played previous Hitman games, and to me they were dull and ridiculous.
This game feels more serious and has more ways to kill and is a lot more fun.
I just chalk it up to nostalgia...some people just can't get past any change when it differs from what they have become accustomed to.

The only complaint that I can relate to is that the levels in Absolution are smaller than previous Hitman games...but what the haters fail to acknowledge is that there are more options given in Absolution, and thus it has more replay-value.
But the majority of other complaints are shallow and petty.
People will just see what they want to see, apparently.

It should also be noted that Absolutions had a completely different Development team designing the game.
I think that alone pisses some people off and makes them a hateful bias.

Just look at the new Tomb Raider game...
It is a terrific game in every way, but fans of the older games hate it with a passion.
#67TrulyEpicLawlsPosted 12/1/2013 12:22:50 AM
shawnmck posted...
text

You're being arrogant, FILLED with bias and closed-minded. At the risk of sounding like a keyboard warrior, let me explain:

"I don't get the hate either. I've played previous Hitman games, and to me they were dull and ridiculous."

Your opinion to this game is different to your opinion of previous games. This is exactly the same for the long-term fans who 'hate' (read: 'don't like as much') this game. You're both using the exact same logic. The conclusion we can make is that Absolution is different to the previous games, hence why you didn't like the previous ones but like this one, and why fans of the previous generally don't like this one.

You should get it, since you are doing the same thing. Though I don't know why you kept playing the games if you didn't like them at all, finding them boring and repetitive. Very strange.

This game feels more serious

An 8-foot Bane'd Mexican called 'Sanchez', a yee-haw cowboy demanding a couple of million dollars, a team of ass-kicking nuns and a super-ninja little girl is serious? What in the hell?

I just chalk it up to nostalgia...some people just can't get past any change when it differs from what they have become accustomed to.

Firstly, not everyone who has a different opinion to you is flawed and invalid. Second, OF COURSE many (not all) fans of something aren't going to like an overhaul and complete change. It becomes a different game. Think about it. For someone to like Absolution AND the previous games, they have to like two different games. To like one or the other, they only have to like one. Thus those who like both are going to be a minority.

the haters

There is no such thing as a hater. This is just a label created to invalidate differing opinions. If we were actually going to put stock in the label, then you would be the very definition of a 'hater', but as you are learning, we are humans who have reasons and decades of separate experiences, not 'trolls' who live under a bridge and only come out to troll, or robots who are programmed to just disagree with you.

fail to acknowledge is that there are more options given in Absolution, and thus it has more replay-value.

Quality is better than quantity. There are so many games out there, not just current and marketed games, but games you have never even heard of, ones you'd struggle to find even in the deepest recesses of a charity shop in the Czech Republic. These games have 100 levels, 200 hours of gameplay. There are war games where you can explore space, fly to a planet, land on the planet, then explore the planet. There are psychological horror games where you're in an entire village, encountering people, talking to people, eating, sleeping, the story unfolding slowly.

The thing is, these games are ****. The space/war game is bland where everything looks the same and the planets are barren. The horror game is uneventful and boring, where you spend nearly the whole time reading PARAGRAPHS of text at a time in ye olde English, then you walk around a bit talking to more people. And 'talking' is just 'press a button then listen to their life story with no real response'.

If you ever only learn one thing in life, it's that quality is better than quantity.

But the majority of other complaints are shallow and petty.

They are legitimate concerns, just as the praise people who like the game have are legitimate.

People will just see what they want to see, apparently.

And you don't even realise you are the perfect example.

(continued next post)
---
The two argument-winning fads of forums: 1) Say 'calm down'. 2) Anyone with a view/opinion different to yours must be a troll, so you must therefore state this.
#68TrulyEpicLawlsPosted 12/1/2013 12:23:01 AM
It should also be noted that Absolutions had a completely different Development team designing the game. I think that alone pisses some people off and makes them a hateful bias.

The vast majority of people who played the game didn't even realise this. Not that it matters. Many, many big franchises and medium games change developers, especially in the past few years with recession and administration everywhere. There are countless acclaimed games that have changed develop and not only been successful still, but actually been HIGHER thought of.

It is a terrific game in every way, but fans of the older games hate it with a passion.

This is something you have completely made up. How could you possibly know this? How do you know what age everyone who's writing is? What games they've played? How much? How much they liked them and what aspects they liked and didn't like? You only know this is the poster gives up the information, but even then it usually isn't specific, so you're no better off.

You have created this illusion to vindicate your opinion and invalidate others.

Hopefully you have now had an epiphany. Worse case scenario is you stamp your feet and enter denial mode like everything I've laid out to you is plucked from thin air compared to the arrogant slander you've just provided.
---
The two argument-winning fads of forums: 1) Say 'calm down'. 2) Anyone with a view/opinion different to yours must be a troll, so you must therefore state this.
#69SoF-RamboPosted 12/4/2013 5:49:50 AM
Kid Maze posted...
^ I don't agree at all. I loved splinter cell conviction. Only complaint for that game was how easy it was even on realistic. But I see very little comparison to conviction and absolution at all. I would actually say IMO that either this or blood money would be my fav hitman games. I just don't get it? Even the problems people bring up are very minor to hate or dislike a game for those reasons

Convictions was so easy I solo'd the split screen co-op campaign. On realistic.
---
Gamertag : Z0mb13S0ldier PSN : GotYourGatorade
Current Most Played : PS All-Stars, Battlefield 3, and WWE 13.
#70juddaz2k3Posted 12/14/2013 3:30:07 PM
Truly epic post.

I also was disappointed in Blood Money when it came out. But im one of the few people that prefer contracts over the rest. For me Contracts>SA>Blood>Absolution. Cant remember playing codename,yet do remember deja vu in contracts?

Anyway to me Absolution reminds me of the new SC games. but they both go for crowd stealth (cant remember what they call it). Hitman has been doing this for a while (though not as big as BM) but it was a new thing to SC series. Then there is the tag and shoot element in Absolution. Still at least in the last SC game there was an old skool difficulty option for those of us masochists that go for SA rating etc.

As for hate. Its not a bad game but the assassination characters used were quite off putting. The nuns being the worst. I preferred Less story, more assassination sandbox levels, no helo chases or linear levels and a different disguise mechanic would make it more enjoyable. As it is being someone that likes older games I dont like having to ko anyone but the target, using instinct (or even throwing distractions if I can help it) and would like it to be a viable playstyle so i can enjoy this as much as the rest here do and as much as I did the older ones.