Honestly, I'm glad they went back to the Silent Assassin disguise system.

#1KillerSlawPosted 11/21/2012 6:27:30 PM
This game just seems like what Silent Assassin wanted to be as far as disguises go. It's hard to go back to Blood Money after this since the game is so damn easy...
---
http://i48.tinypic.com/359bpg1.png http://i.imgur.com/VXqqs.gif
#2runwhen_useemePosted 11/21/2012 6:29:02 PM
This game is alot easier than Blood Money...

Here, you just dive roll until you get to your target, then you use whatever obvious prop or set piece is sitting next to the target to kill them.

Blood Money required you to think, and plan ahead, and stalk and be creative.
#3gamesrgreatPosted 11/21/2012 7:46:02 PM

Here, you just dive roll until you get to your target, then you use whatever obvious prop or set piece is sitting next to the target to kill them.

Yep
---
D-Jesus, Christ Bosh, King James 3:16
The Miami Heat 2012 Champs- Miller Time
#4noimnoturdaddyPosted 11/21/2012 8:31:35 PM
KillerSlaw posted...
It's hard to go back to Blood Money after this since the game is so damn easy...

What?
---
This is great! I will use Heroin on the weekends now!
#5gamesrgreatPosted 11/21/2012 8:38:22 PM
KillerSlaw posted...
It's hard to go back to Blood Money after this since the game is so damn easy...

What?

I can see what he means in that the Blood Money disguise system would seem "easy" compared to this. However, since I just beat Blood Money again recently...it still plays great to me. This game's difficulty so far has been of the wrong kind
---
D-Jesus, Christ Bosh, King James 3:16
The Miami Heat 2012 Champs- Miller Time
#6noimnoturdaddyPosted 11/21/2012 9:52:05 PM
Didn't matter what disguise you wore in Blood Money, if you did something wrong or overly suspicious you were dead. Only reason it became easy is when you knew the level so well that you could breeze through without a problem.

Absolution is the same way in that sense, though the difficulty curve is one of trial+error tedious "restart checkpoint"ing whereas in Blood Money, if you messed up you could improvise with a disguise switch to keep things going or just reload an earlier save. The new checkpoint+disguise system makes experimentation unappealing, not to mention restarting and having to sit through minutes of dialogue (not cutscenes, in-game dialogue) to end so NPCs could trigger their patrols and whatnot. An easy example of this is the Library, get caught, restart checkpoint, "Ok boys, I want this ****ing place turned upside down!"

Get caught, restart checkpoint, "Ok boys, I want this ****ing place turned upside down!"
Get caught, restart checkpoint, "Ok boys, I want this ****ing place turned upside down!"
(annoying, isn't it)
---
#7KillerSlaw(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2012 10:51:18 PM
runwhen_useeme posted...

In Blood Money, all you had to do was wear a disguise until you got to your target, then you use whatever obvious set piece is sitting nearby to stage an accident.
---
http://i48.tinypic.com/359bpg1.png http://i.imgur.com/VXqqs.gif
#8ShadownetNPosted 11/21/2012 11:23:43 PM
Both game's disguise systems had their faults. I can respect Absolution's try at reinventing it, but when every cop knows you're not a cop and you basically have to stay out of everyone's line of sight Splinter Cell style, it gets tiring.

It's also ridiculous that knicking the manager's clothes on the Blackwater mission will allow you to pass off as the manager to everyone, or that a face concealing masked disguise (and there is at least one disguise where 47 doesn't totally ignore the face mask and goes bare faced like an idiot) will not actually conceal your identity and guards will still hound you like a dick.

The game would be easy as hell if you stole a heavy duty face concealing disguise right off the bat, but maybe make it so they're not so damn easy to take, or make some guards wear face concealing disguises and others don't, so you have to target a specific guard for his uber uniform. Too much of the game is avoiding LOS or hoping your instinct doesn't run out.

That said, I do agree that Blood Money was pretty damn easy with disguises. But it was so goddamn fun.
#9noimnoturdaddyPosted 11/21/2012 11:36:58 PM(edited)
KillerSlaw posted...
In Blood Money, all you had to do was wear a disguise until you got to your target, then you use whatever obvious set piece is sitting nearby to stage an accident.

You had to be more creative to get that far, though. All the high-profile hits in this game are tightly scripted, not leaving you room to deviate because they have a cutscene that plays right after and it's very specific about what needs to happen prior.

Accidents were a nice touch in Blood Money, but yes, it was one of the worst parts in the game because they were all pretty obvious and cliche. It was fun as an option, though, and gave several new ways to approach a mission. Look at "A New Life". I got a TON of replayability on that level, just finding multiple ways to clear it.

Suit Only, Sedate the lady across the street, sneak into the party, get into the bathroom, knock the chick out, take her necklace, run back across the street and sniping Vinnie. Watch all the chaos that ensues as the agents try to figure out wtf just happened, calmly walk to the gate and make an exit.

Sneak in through the garage, sedate the agent, take his clothes, get behind Vinnie as he goes down the stairs and push him so his death looks like an accident (cheesy but still awesome to have the option), go outside and put too much fluid in the BBQ, lady torches herself and jumps in the pool, hop in to take her necklace, make a clean exit.

Drug donuts, deliver to FBI agents in van, go in and take their clothes, run into the house, stalk the clown, take his clothes, have the lady lead you back to her room, take her out, take the necklace, go back into the hall and push Vinnie over a rail as he passes it by, sneak out.

Grab the sniper rifle, go into the treehouse nearby, snipe everyone in the house, go in and collect the necklace afterwards and make an exit.

Take out the hedgetrimmer, take the trimmers and kill everyone in the level without getting detected, then make an exit.

That's one level.

I get that the disguise system was maybe too forgiving in Blood Money, but that was part of the appeal, being able to take on anything and simply blend in, even if it didn't make sense because you had a big friggin barcode on the back of your head that should give it all away. Going more realistic with the disguise system in Absolution makes the game feel insanely claustrophobic, and that's really what makes the gameplay so strict. You don't have the room to improvise and experiment anymore, you commit to one playstyle or you commit to the other.

Aside from that, too many events in this game need dialogue to end before they move onto the next event. Even basic things like NPCs moving, they need to go through their minute long dialogues every time you reload and want to try something new, or fine-tune an approach. Like the guy above me said, the game gets tiring.

Anyway, I'm about burnt out on picking this game apart. I know some people like it right now, but I don't think this game will be mentioned much within a week or two. Plays like a rental, the only reason I'm making so much noise is because I'm so disappointed. The core of the Hitman team left in 2008, if this is the best IO can do in their wake then the chances of us seeing another game like Blood Money are pretty low, and that's as depressing as thinking of a world without Michael Jackson, John Frusciante, Franz Kafka or the original Star Wars.
---
#10James MasonPosted 11/22/2012 1:55:53 AM
Problem with this game is that the sense of exploration is diminished by having challenges... I mean , in other Hitman games, you experimented till you found out a satisfactory way to kill your target, then you could replay and find an equally satisfying method... But in this game, pretty much all of the ways to complete a level are highlited and there's a checklist keeping track of it...

I don't really mind the disguises that much , personally. Heck , i'd say for the first time, it makes sense that the creepy guy with a barcode has to really work to avoid being noticed... Disguises should not grant you total immunity... Especially in an enclosed area where people actually know each other. My main gripe about this is that it also relies on instinct to "work", and it also relies on element of the hud not displayed in Purist, meaning you're pretty much screwed when you play Purist... Making Purist all about memorising a path that doesn't get you anywhere near spotted than really experimenting in a no hud difficulty level...

And I sincerely hate the fact you can't choose your arsenal.. On your first play, sure, but on replays , not being able to choose which weapons you bring is just bad...

Even contract's solution of allowing you to choose "one" weapon is unsatisfying... What If I want my trusty guns and a sniper ?... No can do ?...
---
The wind carried screams from the west. I could not help but smile - Kain PSN/MGO ID : Stealth_Cobra | MGO Character : Stealth_Viper