Rambo parody

#1HarborSealPosted 1/17/2013 12:26:20 PM
Anybody else notice that the part of the game where you're in that little hick-town called "Hope" is a parody from Rambo:First Blood?
#2wigsplasherPosted 1/17/2013 5:42:37 PM
How is it a parody of First Blood?
---
3D gaming is overrated
#3HarborSeal(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 5:59:53 PM
The small WA town in Rambo:First Blood is called "Hope" like in this game.

Hitman is in a jail like Rambo was in at the beginning of the movie where the cops beat up prisoners in their cells, and it looks similar too.

When Hitman goes outside the jail there's various large explosions going on around the town like when Rambo was attacking it at the end of the movie.
#4MetallicaOpethPosted 1/18/2013 7:27:11 AM
HarborSeal posted...

Hitman is in a jail like Rambo was in at the beginning of the movie where the cops beat up prisoners in their cells, and it looks similar too.

When Hitman goes outside the jail there's various large explosions going on around the town like when Rambo was attacking it at the end of the movie.

wow that's reaching for the stars alright, I don't think that comparison was intentional
#5wigsplasherPosted 1/18/2013 8:16:37 AM
HarborSeal posted...

wow that's reaching for the stars alright, I don't think that comparison was intentional

I agree!
---
3D gaming is overrated
#6xHiggsxPosted 1/18/2013 12:07:09 PM
Hey, yeah. I noticed there was a town called Hope in Rambo: First Blood and Hitman: Absolution but that's the only comparison between the two that I noticed. Well spotted, mate. :P
---
"It's by doing whatever that one becomes whoever" - Remi Gaillard
PSN: Black_Hound12
#7HarborSeal(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 12:25:29 PM
I own the four Rambo movies on blu-ray, so I've probably watched them more than most. lol

The inside of the jail, and the situation outside with the police mobilized and town under siege are VERY similar to the first Rambo movie though.
#8Doubleglock18Posted 1/20/2013 12:10:44 PM
sounds like a shout-out more than a parody, but i see your train of thought. interesting....
---
Colt 45 and two zig-zags, Baby that's all we need
We can go to the park, after dark, smoke that tumbleweed!
#9KLTPZYXMPosted 1/25/2013 11:33:42 AM
The inside of the jail, and the situation outside with the police mobilized and town under siege are VERY similar to the first Rambo movie though.

Don't forget the quick stop at the local gun store! :D

I also wondered if that part of the game had been partially inspired by First Blood. If nothing else, I thought naming the town "Hope" may have been the result of someone on the development team being a fan.

Sadly, it appears to have been purely coincidental. The only reference I found to how they chose the town is the following commentary from the official guide:

This is the first concept made from ‘Hope, South Dakota’ but at that time, it had no name or location. The location of the Badlands, which is a national park in South Dakota, came to us in the most unexpected way. On a plane back to Copenhagen from China, we stopped in transit at Moscow airport, and met a guy from Chicago who told about an amazing desert area he used to visit. When we saw the pictures, we knew we had found our location and ordered tickets to go location scouting in the area to find our ‘Hope’.
#10HarborSeal(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 4:01:42 AM
It wasn't coincidental at all. The first Rambo movie was filmed in the real life town of Hope, BC in Canada. But it was set in a fictional town called Hope, WA.

The people that made Hitman Absolution must have known about the real life town of Hope, BC and also that it was noted for "Rambo:First Blood" being filmed there. So they made up another fictional town by that name which was based on the real one just like the people that made the original Rambo movie did.