Is it Normal for my Video card to be whinning loudly while playing like the fan

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Just Cause 2
  3. Is it Normal for my Video card to be whinning loudly while playing like the fan
5 years ago#1
i think theres a tine fan under my video card but it sure is loud louder than my pc... can the heat affect fps?
---
Dell Studio 540/QuadCore/4gb/Nvidia OEM GTS 240 Video Card/Windows 7 64bit
5 years ago#2

I don't know if the heat can affect fps but it'll eventually affect your gpu if the heat is too high. You should check what temperature you're getting when playing games (or is it only this game?) if it goes to somewhere like 100 celsius then it's time to do something.

5 years ago#3
how would i check the temp?
---
5 years ago#4
HWMonitor.
5 years ago#5
Speedfan.
---
Theres a hole in the sky, Through which things can fly!
PSN: ShadowGT-R
5 years ago#6

I used to have an 8800GT and that sucker whould whislte line a sob when I played games. I think its the dust that collects on the fan on the card.

5 years ago#7

Hydrafiend posted...

I used to have an 8800GT and that sucker whould whislte line a sob when I played games. I think its the dust that collects on the fan on the card.

It could be that. Could be a failing fan as well. Personally, I have 6 case fans blowing air into/out of my case. One is a SUNON KD1208PTB2 (From the old internet vendor OneCoolPC) that moves as much air as a desk mounted personal fan. It is also so loud (and has a high pitched sound) I can hear it upstairs at the other side of the house.

However, after running JC2 for 10 hours straight, my CPU heatsink is cold to the touch and there is no heat buildup in the case what so ever. My power supply fan NEVER comes on.

5 years ago#8
Most newer GPUs has fans that spin very fast. My HD 5770 is louder than the the 3 case fans and power supply fan.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDWulqQUJ-U
5 years ago#9
ok because people are saying my vid card suks but its not true lol its way better than xbox 360
---
5 years ago#10
If there's a tiny fan *under* your video card, on the motherboard, it's probably a northbridge heatsink fan. These are usually smaller than CPU or GPU fans, so they spin faster and can make loud, high-pitched noises when dusty or worn out. As the game shunts huge amounts of data to the GPU the northbridge will heat up, and as the GPU renders it will heat up as well, so the fan will likely kick in once you start playing the game. The heat won't directly affect your frame rate but if the computer gets too hot the CPU, GPU, or northbridge can start having errors.
  1. Boards
  2. Just Cause 2
  3. Is it Normal for my Video card to be whinning loudly while playing like the fan

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived