4th stratum volt gun and harpuia

#1AzurinaiPosted 7/25/2012 3:47:31 PM
First of all, the volt gun I need for the gift in a quest, where are the parts I need? I have malachite and volt fruit but what are the last ones?

Secondly, I am level 54 and have yet to reach Harpuia, Is that level to high? If not, then what level should I be?

Side note. My Alchemist has the physical spells at lv 4/5, and they do insane damage to enemies that are asleep. Heres an example:
Encounter 3 enemies (I believe 2 of them are those birds with the scythes and the 3rd is a rainbug) Blades does 300 to the 1st 2 and 280 to the bug, then next turn I put them all to sleep and use blades again. Critical hits on all for 1100-1300 damage. It seems sleeping enemies are given added weaknesses which singularity (or it's equivalent) can exploit which is pretty awesome.
---
"You would make a far better ally than an enemy Lunus, choose your path carefully"
-Rayne the Ninetales
#2Azurinai(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2012 4:58:13 PM
So, nobody has any advice?

Feels like when I post, I kill the topic or forum I'm on.
---
"You would make a far better ally than an enemy Lunus, choose your path carefully"
-Rayne the Ninetales
#3cyanideskyPosted 7/26/2012 5:33:58 PM
Azurinai posted...
So, nobody has any advice?

Feels like when I post, I kill the topic or forum I'm on.

don't worry. i also feel like that when i post something.
although,i know the answer to only the final question.

when an enemy is asleep, he takes around double damage from any source, so it's not a analysis/singularity thing.
i dont have any experience with the physical spells, but as far as i've read, people say they aren't that good.
i'd go for tier 2 spells and megido.
---
Black-bearded Pirate that takes Cyanide every night so he can sleep.
#4cyanideskyPosted 7/26/2012 5:35:44 PM
oh,and about the level for facing harpuia,you should be ok.
what's your party and build?
---
Black-bearded Pirate that takes Cyanide every night so he can sleep.
#5Azurinai(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2012 6:53:58 PM(edited)
Atleast I'm not the only one.

Lets see, my party is...

Defender level 54
Shields Max
Anti Fire/Volt/Ice Max
Smite Max
HP up 3
HP regen 1
Risk wall 2

Dark Hunter level 54
Str Up Max
Whips 8
Climax Max
Gag Max
Viper bite Max
Unbind 3
Antibind 2
Cuffs 1
Shackles 1

Medic level 54
I can't remember specifics but he has
CPR Max
Cure 2 lvl 2
Refresh 8
Party Refresh Max
other healing skills but nothing better than salve or cure 2

Alchemist level 54
TP Up 5
Tec Up 10
Str Up 3
Volt Up 1
Phys Up Max
Scavenge Max
Volt 1
Analysis Max
Megido Max
Blades 4
Gravity 4
Piercing 3

Hexer level 54 I believe the rest are...
Curses 7 Max?
Scavenge Max
Poison Max
Torpor Max
Sapping 1
Frailty 9 6?
Dampen Max
Revenge 3

Also megido doesn't seem to get extra damage on a sleeping enemy in addition the "Critical Hit" message when using spells only appears when hitting a weakness, which did not show up on an awake enemy, so those spells hit for 4 damage. Does sleep make you weak against physical? I don't think it works for elemental magic.
---
-Rayne the Ninetales
#6LBokshaPosted 7/27/2012 5:29:38 AM
It's easy enough to figure out how to get the Volt Gun from the FAQs here.
Stickied thread: Unlock Requirements for ALL Items. -> Ctrl-F, Volt Gun -> 1 Wind Blade, 3 Malachite
2nd stickied thread: Board Faq -> Ctrl-F, Wind Blade -> Windsnip: Wind Blade (80%, Kill with Volt Element)

Assuming you already sold 3 pieces of malachite, all you need to do is kill Windsnips (80% chance you only have to kill one) with thunder attacks until one drops a wind blade; sell that and you're done.
---
You try to run away. But there's no escape! The enemy tries to run away. But there's no escape!
#7LBokshaPosted 7/27/2012 10:13:52 AM
Does sleep make you weak against physical?

Yes.
As for Harpuia, she's one of the easiest bosses in the game... but maybe only if you have easy access to strong piercing attacks (in my case, I beat her in two turns with Richochet with a level 45 Gunner as my only real damage source), which I don't think you have. Still, Dominate and Gag should help a lot. Bring some Theriaca Bs.
---
You try to run away. But there's no escape! The enemy tries to run away. But there's no escape!
#8Azurinai(Topic Creator)Posted 7/27/2012 5:49:58 PM
Ok then, time to get piercing level 5 and frailty maxed and kick harpuias butt, and thanks for that info about the wind blade, it seems I had access to that conditional the whole time.

I completeley forgot about force skills, usually when I fight a boss I rest at the inn first, which resets the gauge. I haven't used a force skill since gashtor, yet I maxed ecstasy :/

It's wierd that people find the physical spells to be terrible, I find them rather useful (especially with sleep/frailty) it's just that you have to level them for the damage potential and the TP is prohibitive at the start, atleast it caps at 5.
---
-Rayne the Ninetales
#9LBokshaPosted 7/27/2012 6:05:07 PM
Well, anything that relies on putting enemies to sleep means you have a way to put enemies to sleep, which is basicaly an auto-win button...
---
#10midicPosted 7/27/2012 8:55:15 PM
It's more a matter of whether one should:
A. Blow the enemy's sorry scales/feathers/fur into the next stratum.

B. Waste time putting them to sleep, THEN blow their sorry scales/petals/exoskeleton/whatever into the next stratum.

Normally, I just go with A, but 4x damage suddenly makes B seem like it deserves another look. As if hexers needed yet another way to totally own the game...