Best RPG Maker overall?

#1rknirmalPosted 3/20/2008 9:20:06 PM
I had toyed around with 2000 and 2003 several years back, nothing serious but still fun. I noticed XP came out late 05 and VX has just come out.

I am wondering which is best overall for a beginning maker? I won't be coding or making any scripts, probably will use others scripts though, like day/night system, etc.

I can see that 2000/2003 have by far the most resources to use, but now the graphics are so ugly and low res compared to XP and VX.

It looks like with VX, you can only use one tileset set for the entire game unlike 2000/2003 where you can use a different one for each map. That is really LAME, why on EARTH did Enterbrain regress that way?

Sorry for the rant and I appreciate any answers to the best maker overall, thanks!
#2KaneBlueriverPosted 3/20/2008 9:25:45 PM
It looks like with VX, you can only use one tileset set for the entire game unlike 2000/2003 where you can use a different one for each map. That is really LAME, why on EARTH did Enterbrain regress that way?

1.) To make it easier for beginners.
2.) For the rest, learn how to script and pixel art.
#3rknirmal(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2008 10:14:39 PM
Yes, I have heard XP has a steep learning curve and Enterbrain "dumbed down" VX to make it easier for beginners (like me).

Is VX the best version overall for beginners? I hear many features have and can be added to it with Ruby scripts.

I may not be an advanced user, but not letting us choose a tileset for each map like 2000/2003 is really silly.
#4bangvangPosted 3/21/2008 4:13:47 AM
VX has tonnes of useful features such as auto-chests, doors and teleports. Then there's the fact that it's the love child of RM95 and RMXP, which makes it the lord of RM. <3
---
http://lunarsolgames.com/AA/images/AA/trucynew.png
http://lunarsolgames.com
#5kikzmysterPosted 3/21/2008 8:34:46 AM
yeah, but VX has some pretty nasty limitations. besides the ones that have already been discussed multiple times, theres one that REALLY annoys me: an event can have its graphic be of something in the tilesets, however an event's graphic CANT CHANGE into something from a tileset. the sheer stupidity of this limitation made me think twice about the "superiority" of VX
---
Iucundissima navigatio iuxta terram, ambulatio iuxta mare.
#6Mechanic_JaguarPosted 3/21/2008 9:18:03 AM
yeah, but VX has some pretty nasty limitations. besides the ones that have already been discussed multiple times, theres one that REALLY annoys me: an event can have its graphic be of something in the tilesets, however an event's graphic CANT CHANGE into something from a tileset. the sheer stupidity of this limitation made me think twice about the "superiority" of VX

I had this same problem too. In my situation, I wanted a glowing blue monument located in, I believe, tile set four. I want an event to transpire, which would then use another tile from the tile set four to display, which would be the exact same blue monument, but not glowing. I ran into this problem.

The way I got around it, however, is by placing the tile of the blue monument (not glowing) in the map event, and creating graphical events on top of this tile, each displaying one aspect of the monument. At the point during the event in which the monument was to stop glowing, I simply made the event graphics (which were covering the tile) to all disappear at once. Surprising enough, it actually worked!

This obviously does not present the cure for all cases of this problem, but I feel it helped me deal with that one particular issue.
---
"i like to eat apples as i play i find it relaxing and calming and also apples taste pretty good." - Mega Trout
#7kikzmysterPosted 3/22/2008 12:40:02 AM
well, the surefire way to get around this problem is to make a character set of that particular til in he tileset. but thats... annoying >_>
---
Iucundissima navigatio iuxta terram, ambulatio iuxta mare.
#8HolyKnight199Posted 3/22/2008 7:24:41 PM
Problems with RPG Maker VX that XP didn't have:

* Tiny characters make your game look like it comes from a time portal from 1990 RPG.
* Tileset systems. Has already been discussed.
* Very stupid screen resolution (544 x 416). Seriously, WTF?
* Major downgrade in the battle system, going back to the ugly Dragon-Quest-ish battles of RPG Maker 2000.
* No background scenery in combats. Once again, WTF?

Good additions in VX:

* Much better frame rate, thanks to back buffering. (I can't actually believe they didn't do that in XP.)
* Many features of RPG2000 that were removed in XP with the excuse that they could be scripted back were reintroduced again. Seriously, forcing the use of scripts defeated the purpose of using a maker program in the first hand. Real programmers use Visual C++ to make games, not RPG Maker...
* Integrated dash function.
* Functions to automatically generate generic elements, like doors, teleports, inns, etc. Even for experts, this is a good thing, as it saves time.
* Auto-shadows, although that's a minor thing. Enterbrain was showing it as if it was a revolutionary feature.

Useless features:

* Balloon icons. This could be done with animations before.
* Random dungeon generator. This would actually be good it if cared for your events, could place doodads, played with height, and could be re-generated every time you enter the map like in Diablo, but it's a really limited feature as it is right now.
---
Peace!
#9bangvangPosted 3/26/2008 6:39:31 AM
I think you're misunderstanding the point of the RDG.
---
http://lunarsolgames.com/AA/images/AA/trucynew.png
http://lunarsolgames.com