Which trap is better - Shock Trap or Pitfall Trap?

#1Killeryoshi8Posted 6/1/2010 6:26:28 AM
Or are they equally good?

And what materials do you need to make this stuff? Thanks in advance!
---
Monster Hunter Tri name: nicky
ID: U6KPHA
#2LAGlACRUSPosted 6/1/2010 6:27:54 AM
Depends on which of us are you are attacking.

Some monsters are more susceptible to shock traps. Others, to pitfall traps.
#3SundarkSoldierPosted 6/1/2010 6:28:24 AM
Generally depends on the monster. I find Pitfall can be annoying because it makes some enemies, like Qurupeco, too low to be hit with tranqs reliably. It also makes it so you can't hit the tail. However, Pitfall Traps are great for hitting the face if you're a hammer user, and they typically last longer.
---
Two little Indian boys sitting in the sun;
One got frizzled up and then there was one.
#4Rather_SpicyPosted 6/1/2010 6:29:09 AM
I prefer shock since you can lay it anywhere.

Pitfall = trap tool + net

Shock = trap tool + thunderbug

*net = spiderweb + ivy
#5SundarkSoldierPosted 6/1/2010 6:29:13 AM
Oh, and the materials for both are Thunderbug + Trap Tool for Shock Trap, and Net (which is Spider Web + Ivy) + Trap Tool for Pitfall.
---
Four little Indian boys going out to sea;
A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.
#6DeathSnipe777Posted 6/1/2010 6:29:20 AM
Depends, really. Pitfall traps can't be used underwater, while Shock Traps can be used on land and in the water.

Pitfall traps are good for getting up close and personal in the monster's face, while Shock Traps are good for getting a lot of hits on that tail that you want to come off.

They're essentially equally good. And if it's possible, KO a monster when they're in a trap. The knockout period is ridiculous;y long and they just stay motionless. Easy targets to just wail on.

To make Pitfall Traps you need Nets + Trap Tools

To make Shock Traps you need Thunderbugs + Trap Tools
---
Currently playing: Monster Hunter Tri
MH3 name: Jason / ID: L622GU
#7JDAdamsPosted 6/1/2010 6:29:39 AM
Are you talking about capturing, or free hits? I tned to prefer shock, as you can still cut tails, it's a much bigger target for tranq bombs, and they work underwater, but pitfalls are good if you want to break things at the head end. Thunderbugs can be a pain to get too.

---
I said "After this let's go do the other quest" and it came out "**** this let's go do the other quest." and everyone abandoned - Ahdeeyah
#8CyncroPosted 6/1/2010 6:30:05 AM

If a Monster is out of Stamina, they will stay in a Pitfall extra long. Not sure about shocks. Don't spam Traps though since Monsters gain resistance over time, and the length of each trap becomes shorter.

#9DeathSnipe777Posted 6/1/2010 6:30:21 AM
*ridiculously long
---
Currently playing: Monster Hunter Tri
MH3 name: Jason / ID: L622GU
#10profrochePosted 6/1/2010 6:34:22 AM
Overall shock traps are better. They can be used anywhere and its easier to hit with tranqs, not to mention they don't flail around.

Pitfalls are good if you want to break a specific part that's still visible in the pitfall, like Blos' horns or Barioth's wings.
---
Signature will not change until my signature changes. Started last time I changed my signature.