breaking street date is illegal

#1NinjaGamer_23Posted 4/16/2010 9:45:25 AM
Why? The store is fined at least 5 grand and other stuff happens. All I know is I recommend you people just buy the game on the day it comes out like me..

Not worth to ruin the store you shop at...
#2Tzuba12Posted 4/16/2010 9:50:18 AM
unless that shop is an evil gamestop. jk
---
In Soviet Russia, monster hunt you.
#3EvilSock_V2Posted 4/16/2010 9:51:10 AM
im sure walmart can afford it.
---
EvilSock went away so now im here to replace him.
#4PhoenixGenesisPosted 4/16/2010 10:02:28 AM
im sure walmart can afford it.

Hope they can.

Wait, is the fine 5,000 bucks PER GAME SOLD?

or is it a roundabout 5k for the entire franchise/corporation?
---
Great Jaggi - ~950 HP / Kurpecco - ~1,300HP / Lagiacrus - ~2,300 HP / Giginox - ~2,197 HP
Tri can't get here quick enough.
#5jasonb619Posted 4/16/2010 10:09:06 AM

NinjaGamer_23 posted...
Why? The store is fined at least 5 grand and other stuff happens. All I know is I recommend you people just buy the game on the day it comes out like me..

Not worth to ruin the store you shop at...

I don't get your logic.. you say NOT to buy it so we don't ruin the store, yet they will keep doing it unless they get in trouble. So wouldn't it help to buy it and help them get in trouble so they stop doing it?

#6NinjaGamer_23(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2010 10:11:42 AM
No no u can buy the game if u want but the games they sell result in fine... Eitehr way if u like teh store, don't buy th egame till street date.
#7HykCraftPosted 4/16/2010 10:15:36 AM
For the love of god, IT IS NOT illegal.

The retailer and all of it's employees don't get handcuffed and sent off to jail.

This is how it works:

If the publisher finds out that RETAILER X breaks street date, the publisher imposes a fine on the retailer per copy sold and then also reserves the right to NO LONGER have that retailer sell their products anymore.

Please do some damn research before posting again.
#8IcewitchPosted 4/16/2010 10:30:03 AM
Breaking street date isn't "illegal" or a crime. At worst its contract violation which is a civil dispute not an illegal activity.
---
MAKE SENSE
#9g8keypPosted 4/16/2010 10:37:49 AM
Publishers are too reliant on retailers right now to ever sue a big chain over breaking a street date.

If anyone were to face litigation, it would be smaller regional chains, and only then if the publisher is feeling particularly burned or if many/all of the stores broke the street date. When a big chain breaks a street date, punishments (if any) are likely to come from within the company, such as firings, probation or, at the extreme, store closure.
#10IcewitchPosted 4/16/2010 10:41:58 AM
When one store breaks street date everyone else follows suit.

Why wouldn't they? Once someone has broken it already they're only losing business to the date-breaker by waiting.
---
MAKE SENSE