Review over at Crispy Gamer

#51ZXR_ReignSlayerPosted 5/2/2010 12:10:23 AM

This post got my eye.

"You know, it's funny. Reviewers hate Monster Hunter because the game refuses to hold their hands and give them an ending on a silver platter just for being able to turn on the console and smash the controller with their flippers for a few hours. Lock-on is *the* most often cited complaint, and none of the people that complain about it acknowledge the fact that there are hundreds of Youtube videos of people having no trouble whatsoever hitting things with no lock-on. I mean christ, do reviewers do any research at all these days, or do they all just play a game for five minutes and pass judgement?"

You know, if people are b$#@hing about there not being a lock-on in the game then maybe something's up. Maybe just maybe it's a feature that would actually improve the game. I loved Resident Evil but I have to admit the combat system if f$#@ing retarded. I loved what they did in the last 2 games. RE purists must have hated it but f$#@ em, it made the game better.

And the youtube videos mean nothing. If you ever played s#@t on the old NES then you learned to get good at a game even if it had f$#@ed up controls. You learned the timing and you got it down. That's how you improved and beat the game, you learned the skills. But not everyone has the time to practice and get those skills.

I've been playing Monster Hunter since Monster Hunter 2 and I have to admit, I'd love to see them implement lock-on.

Noob. "Wah wah wah I lack the reaction time to hit monsters give mes Lawk ON!"

also on the bolded part.

This isn't a hold your hand game or a jump in. You come and learn, not just do anything and win. this isn't FFXIII or DMC on easy. Stupidity is punished. I'm tired n00bs ruining practically every single game because they they suck too much and/or too lazy. Demon's souls was the only other reprieve of noob easiness all year.

---
Billy Mayes down *checks list* now for the Allstate guy. Hope hes in good hands >:]
Would a Vegetarian girl go downtown? Maybe 4 the healthy beverages...o.0
#52cgwhite85Posted 5/2/2010 12:11:12 AM
i don't think monster hunter would benefit from lock on. free movement and aiming your attacks on your own make hitting monsters weak areas easier. lock on may work if it did not matter where you hit a monster, but that would really water down the difficulty of MH in general. i'm not sure why so many people new to the series, like the crispy gamer guy, get hung up on lock on. would you want lock on in a fps too?
#53DSMobsterPosted 5/2/2010 12:12:20 AM

Arcell_Garza wrote: Hmmm actually the controls aren't clunky. I haven't struggled with the controls once since learning how to actually play. Move your character in any direction, does the character move immediately, no, that's the definition of clunky controls.
PS: I'm not complaining, just giving a fun fact.

the only clunkyness in this game is when you're trying to aim yourself at someone who is near you
#54KaiserWarriorPosted 5/2/2010 12:22:26 AM
"And the youtube videos mean nothing. If you ever played s#@t on the old NES then you learned to get good at a game even if it had f$#@ed up controls. You learned the timing and you got it down. That's how you improved and beat the game, you learned the skills. But not everyone has the time to practice and get those skills. "

And my contention, sir, is that those people do not deserve to beat a game they're not willing to invest time and effort into.

Capcom, thankfully, agrees. When your argument for why the game should have lock-on boils down to "Some people suck at video games and can't be arsed to get any better at them, so the games should do everything for them", I have trouble sympathizing.

My point is that anybody who puts any effort into Monster Hunter has no problem hitting things without lock-on. We prefer it without lock-on, because that lets us target whatever point on the monster we want, rather than some arbitrary lock point. If people aren't willing to put in a little bit of effort to learn their weapon and learn the monster so they can hit it properly, *they do not deserve anything other than a ride in the kitty cart*.
#55Krunkles9000Posted 5/2/2010 12:30:50 AM
I enjoyed his nerd rage.
#56BlackHawkBergPosted 5/2/2010 12:50:05 AM

I've been playing Monster Hunter since Monster Hunter 2 and I have to admit, I'd love to see them implement lock-on.

get off my internet -_-
---
So if a professional runner sprinted past a casual jogger in the street and told him he sucked, that would be justified?
Justified no. Awesome yes. ~Lord Grahf
#57Agent_AAPosted 5/2/2010 1:24:54 AM
One of the worst reviews I've read so far o.o
#58GravinatorPosted 5/2/2010 1:41:27 AM
So this guy has played previous MHs and doesn't know where to get Monster Fluid?
---
Live Gamertag: ElGravy
Brawl FC: 0345-0973-5281
#59Darksun45230Posted 5/2/2010 2:03:36 AM
http://forums.minegarde.com/index.php?showtopic=19589
---
,;;Handz & Roaz;;, The eternal ego's.
[Gathering Hall Aristocrat]
#60MagmaRedDragonPosted 5/2/2010 2:15:57 AM
What the fug is crispy gamer and why does anyone care?
---
I love how you can get posts removed for swearing, but not GROSS STUPIDITY. -Gloomy