Murphy's Law and the Desire Sensor

#1FamliarStrangerPosted 5/16/2010 4:50:10 PM
Since I have seen so many topics talking about people not being able to get the materials they want, I felt like I had to make this topic.

Listen closely, new hunters, because once you become a hunter, you will come to hate Murphy's Law and this game's Desire Sensor as much as we do. Even if you aren't new, read on and think of it as a little reminder of why you hate the RNG so much.

In the world of Monster Hunter, Murphy's Law is absolute.
Murphy's Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_law
Murphy's Law can be summed up in one simple sentence: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."
Murphy's Law dictates that when you want something to happen, it won't. When you don't want something to happen, it will.
Here is a common real life example :"It will start raining as soon as I start washing my car, except when I wash the car for the purpose of causing rain."

Now, most of you can probably already see where this is going, but now allow me to describe the Desire Sensor. I just read a great article on Nicopedia (Japanese joke encyclopedia website), so I'll translate it and post it on here.

The Desire Sensor

The Desire Sensor is a device present in games such as MMOs and RPGs that decrease the drop rates of any items that the player desires (Read Murphy's Law).
The Desire Sensor in the Monster Hunter series is considered to be especially hi-spec, and have caused many players to scream in anguish. A large number of PSPs have been smashed to bits.

The Desire Sensor reads into the player's mind to find out what it is that the player desires most, and once activated, it can cause effects like monsters only dropping scales when you're looking for shells, and only dropping shells when you want scales.
Occasionally, it will mess with the player by increasing the drop rates of extremely rare items such as the 2% drop rate Earth Dragongem higher than the drop rates of regular drops that the player wants.
Also, once you have painstakingly collected all the rare materials you needed, and have no need of them anymore, they will start to appear very frequently in quest rewards.
This not only applies to rewards from large monsters, but also to carves from small monsters, items gathered by Piggy/Felyne companion/Cha Cha, ore mining, bug catching, gathering, fishing, treasure, Arena rewards, and even the items sold in the shop and Felyne skills from food - is it the greatest enemy a hunter will ever face. It is expecially bad in Monster Hunter Frontier, where destroying a body part will never yield that body part-specific reward. A Volganos' Fang will have the same drop rate as a Rathalos Ruby.

CAPCOM awcknowledges its existance, and has officially sold "Desire Sensor Begone" T-shirts.
Monster Hunter's sensor is considered to be the best in the world.
If Satori and the Desire Sensor had a fight, the Desire Sensor would win.
The only way to rebel against it is to become completely desire-less, but the reality is that that's not a very easy thing for humans to accomplish.
At any given moment, someone is crying because of Monster Hunter Frontier.
If you look at a weapon or armor's recipe before going on a hunt, you will most likely not get any of those materials.

warning, wall o' text.

psst, here's a secret: i accidentlly closed this page after typing it and clicking "preview message", so i had to type it up all over again.

---
Monster Hunter Tri- Name: Familiar ID:
Translator of Fragile Trailers
#2madmaverickPosted 5/16/2010 4:52:52 PM
I want that T-shirt.

---
I was kicked out of Barnes & Noble once for moving all of the bibles to the fiction section.
Monster Hunter Tri info: Maverick : NCRFC7
#3Cleon3600Posted 5/16/2010 4:53:31 PM
CAPCOM awcknowledges its existance, and has officially sold "Desire Sensor Begone" T-shirts.

OMG! OMG! I want one!
#4FamliarStranger(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2010 4:54:05 PM
We all want one. WHICH IS WHY WE WILL NEVER GET ONE.
---
#5__Crazy__Posted 5/16/2010 4:59:22 PM
Requested sticky.
---
>:D
#6FamliarStranger(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2010 5:02:05 PM
Trivia: The term "Desire Sensor" was first coined when Phantasy Star Online was released in Japan. It is now most frequently associated with Monster Hunter though (for reasons explained in that article).
---
#7megatrinityPosted 5/16/2010 5:07:49 PM
Oh lord.

I remember how terrible that was in PSO.
---
"I drink tonight in honor of the lady i gave wrong directions to this morning" - Hime.
Glare at YOUR ASS to increase your ENDURANCE. - darkmagician11
#8DGM09Posted 5/16/2010 5:20:41 PM
Oh lord.

I remember how terrible that was in PSO.

Exactly what I was thinking.
---
Bang.
#9robbygoodPosted 5/16/2010 5:22:47 PM
Worth the read, I want one.
#10notellinguPosted 5/16/2010 5:28:06 PM
So let's say that i need a ian plate, all i have to do is desire for less rare carvings? I already have 2 Lagi plates which i don't need =/ (got them on my first and second hunt)
---
MH3 Account: Suzuhime
Who said tomorrow would be raining got it wrong. This umbrella, is now useless.