Murphy's Law and the Desire Sensor

#51GreatHammersworPosted 5/17/2010 2:13:26 PM
Took me 25~ ians to get a plate.

The next two times were casual and obvious. Tail carve, and hoping to get a ruby. Twice.
#52khknowledgePosted 5/17/2010 2:45:10 PM
This crap happens to me and my friend all the time. While we were playing MHF2 we used to joke around and say things like "Shh, don't say you need the Rathalos Plate. If it knows it won't give it to you!"

It never fails. When one of us needed a rare material, someone else(or at times everyone else) in the group would get it instead.

Its a heart breaker is what it is.
---
MH3-Lucidity
#53Pieke OkataPosted 5/17/2010 2:56:25 PM
Have you read the rest of the wikipedia article? The history of the term is outlined pretty extensively.

'Beam me up, Scotty' is not a quote from Star Trek. It is frequently attributed to Star Trek, but the particular line is not in the show. One of the movies includes the line 'Scotty, Beam me up,' but that's still a different line.

If someone attributes the quote to the show, they are wrong. It doesn't matter that most people think that the quote comes from the show. It DOESN'T come from the show. This has nothing to do with usage and everything to do with objective facts. The truth supersedes the masses.
---
You do not understand what it is to be human, to wish to have sex with the sky and cuddle with the stars
#54greatwhite36968Posted 5/17/2010 3:04:05 PM
Oi, "Capcom Evil" guy...

You may be on to something. Can you guys imagine if they actually had a script that caused frequently viewed items or items with smaller unobtained mats. harder to find?

Capcom wouldn't do that...would they?
---
DURR HURR HURR, I'M A TREE.
-damitz_rjay on the joys of dodging with Exdeath
#55CedicusPosted 5/17/2010 3:28:03 PM
Heh no wonder... When I 1st started fighting Rathalos/Rathian farming for a plate I had no luck. I gave up then went on to something else. A few days ago I tried The Mating Season mission just to test myself and low and behold Rathian and Rathalos plates in the reward box. Biggest WTF this year...

---
Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God? - Tyler Durden
#56someonePosted 5/17/2010 3:49:17 PM
'Beam me up, Scotty' is not a quote from Star Trek. It is frequently attributed to Star Trek, but the particular line is not in the show. One of the movies includes the line 'Scotty, Beam me up,' but that's still a different line.

If someone attributes the quote to the show, they are wrong. It doesn't matter that most people think that the quote comes from the show. It DOESN'T come from the show. This has nothing to do with usage and everything to do with objective facts. The truth supersedes the masses.

Your example doesn't really apply here. There's a clear difference between the popularization of a misquote and the evolution of the understanding and usage of a term throughout time. The meaning has changed. It is no longer used in the same manner that you so desperately want it to be used in. That's all there is to it.

If you firmly believe that the only correct usage of Murphy's Law is in relation to human error, then I suggest you rewrite the wiki article. Make sure to cite your sources.

Keep in mind that the 'modern iteration' of Murphy's Law was the one used in this topic, and that iteration was used correctly.

---
GT: lJustAlexl
(those are lowercase Ls)
#57greatwhite36968Posted 5/17/2010 3:52:12 PM
Erm..

I AM THE MONSTER HUNTER! I SWING THE SWORDS THAT MAKES THE MONSTERS FALL DOWN!
---
DURR HURR HURR, I'M A TREE.
-damitz_rjay on the joys of dodging with Exdeath
#58Pieke OkataPosted 5/17/2010 4:07:57 PM
If you firmly believe that the only correct usage of Murphy's Law is in relation to human error, then I suggest you rewrite the wiki article.

Why should I? The text in the wiki makes it extremely clear that actual application of the law refers to human error, and that the intended use it to ensure that something is well-designed enough that human error can not cause it to fail.

The 'modern usage' is incorrect. It is a result of Murphy's Law, but it is not Murphy's Law. It is commonly incorrectly attributed and the Star Trek quote is an apt analogy.
---
You do not understand what it is to be human, to wish to have sex with the sky and cuddle with the stars
#59lurking_fingerPosted 5/17/2010 4:10:25 PM
for the record... they're REALLY hard to find, but the 3 Murphy's Law books are frigging hysterical.
---
every fanboy needs a troll to keep him disillusioned.
#60FamliarStranger(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2010 4:11:31 PM
*facepalm*
---
Monster Hunter Tri- Name: Familiar ID:
Translator of Fragile Trailers