Any tips for a gunner newb??

#1Littlenicky1989Posted 12/28/2012 5:03:51 AM
thinking of starting the game as a gunner
had the game a while back and a few of the others but always went for G/S so want a change

i know the basics of dodging etc just want a few tips on gunning as a lot of people have told me its the weapon of choice for them
---
Soul Silver FC: 3825 0896 9809
#2nessonett106Posted 12/28/2012 6:43:22 AM
Late game it is very high damage and very versatile, however i've heard its often hard to start a file as a gunner only due to ammo costs, and non shareable armor.

Some basic tips:
Practice some normal lvl 1 shots in an empty zone when you first try it, just so the zooming, aiming, reloading, and shooting comes naturally to you. You can choose to quickly reload the current clip as you ready your gun.

A lot of ammo types have a recommended distance from the target to get the most damage from them. Usually this is about 4-6 rolls away from the target or something. You will know when you hit the right spot when your shots have a larger white flash as they hit. The range stat on your guns will contract or lengthen this minimum distance, and the range it covers.

You will take a lot more damage due to low def armours. Pay attention to your dodging, and be prepared to take hits if you have a shield rather than try a risky dodge. Preferrably dodge it all though, chip damage is pretty big.

pierce shots hit more than once, so try aiming them lengthwise along the smaller monsters to avoid the ammo passing fully through them before it is used up.

Pellet shots are bad for group quests, unless you're careful
---
MH3 Name: Marty . . . . EU servers . . . .
#3mogar002Posted 12/28/2012 7:04:13 AM
The best tip is play as something not a gunner until very late in the game, then switch.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#4Littlenicky1989(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2012 7:35:02 AM
right thanks =]
ive taken down a few ludroth etc but i am finding the aiming a bit tricky
might stick with the good old SnS for a while then till the better bowguns become available =]
---
#5UlNinPosted 12/28/2012 9:28:09 AM
If you're working through Offline, Pellet will rip up some of the early quests. It's also quite decent versus Qurupeco - the pouch is a pellet magnet which helps interrupt calls. Also, pretty much guaranteed a beak break.

But definitely agree with working some form if melee too. If only for underwater hunts.
---
QB95RE on the NA Servers
CRAGCRAGCRAGCRAG
#6Littlenicky1989(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2012 9:45:43 AM
well i was having trouble with qurupeco using SnS just managed to kill him
might have a try with bowgun then when i got the hang of aiming etc
---
#7kuhchungPosted 12/28/2012 9:57:13 AM
Littlenicky1989 posted...

I think qurupeco is very hard with an sns at that early stage of the game. It hardly has any sharpness, you start bouncing, it's hard to stagger the pouch, and it can't reach the beak.
#8Littlenicky1989(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2012 10:01:12 AM
lol thats probably why i struggled so much with it
only got Ko'd once though so pretty proud of myself =]

just got the bone tomohawk now gonna try to upgrade to the Qurupeco chopper before i go against Gobul. really struggled with him last time when i used the plume flint, it was too sluggish
---
#9UlNinPosted 12/28/2012 10:13:33 AM
Littlenicky1989 posted...

If you're confortable with farming Royal Ludroth, I would suggest Ludroth frame / Heavy bowgun barrel / Medium bowgun stock which loads 5 each Pellet 1 and 2. It has one way deviation, which doesn't make any difference since you'll be firing Pellet. Unless you run out of Pellets. Back up ammo is Normal 2. Pellet lv3 fires with recoil, so don't use it. Ludroth gunner comes with Pellet lv 1 up and slots enough to get Pellet All Up giving you 7/7 Pellet 1/2 - but upgrade the frame before working on the armour.

Don't bother too much with aiming. Just point generally in Peco's direction and spam pellets. His beak and pouch are pellet magnets, which is good and bad since his body is a better gun hitzone than his head.

You'll have a tough time breaking wings this way, so Flintstones may be harder for you to get.
---
QB95RE on the NA Servers
CRAGCRAGCRAGCRAG
#10LionHeartSJTPosted 12/28/2012 11:15:46 AM
If your starting the game as a bowgunner i would advise playing offline by yourself for a bit, after you have the hang of things go online

I played as every class under the sun on my first playthrough until the last BIG BAD!
Where i have been a gunner since

Got bored and started a new character as a solely Gunner inteded character
now it is harder...so dont worry

If you do start playing online get a Jaggi barrel - it does rapid fire lvl 1 pierce
its a good general ammo for any gunner

Everything else is good
I always keep pellet shots for time when its safe to shoot them. . . . but thats just me
aka in the air! XD