Critical Draw or Att Up S

#1_Viper_85Posted 1/27/2013 7:44:53 AM
Just a quick one. I'm sure I already know the answer I'm going to get but having just found +4 crit draw charm I can get critical draw into a set with relative ease but I'd sacrifice attack up S for it.

Now here's the part that probably makes it a no brainier; I'm a long sword user.

Any thoughts or opinions?
#2GobulHysteriaPosted 1/27/2013 8:22:55 AM
Attack up.
#3_Viper_85(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 8:56:10 AM(edited)
GobulHysteria posted...
Attack up.

I knew this would be the answer. But why?

Everything I've read says that, when upgrading a weapon, you should go for the affinity option as opposed to the attack bonus option.

So, why is this not the same? Crit draw is basically guaranteed affinity. Attack up s (can't quite get M with the tali I have) is such a small gain compared to a guaranteed crit upon unsheathing surely?

Everytime you pull off a complete spirit combo he automatically sheathes so you'll be getting a lot of first strikes throughout the battle.
#4SeveredbumPosted 1/27/2013 9:18:07 AM
That's true but attack up will give you a boost on every single one of your attacks, the crit draw may give you a boost every once in a while but for a LS user it's a pretty small increase in damage even compared to attack up small.
#5GobulHysteriaPosted 1/27/2013 10:34:22 AM(edited)
_Viper_85 posted...
GobulHysteria posted...
Attack up.

I knew this would be the answer. But why?

Everything I've read says that, when upgrading a weapon, you should go for the affinity option as opposed to the attack bonus option.

So, why is this not the same? Crit draw is basically guaranteed affinity. Attack up s (can't quite get M with the tali I have) is such a small gain compared to a guaranteed crit upon unsheathing surely?

Everytime you pull off a complete spirit combo he automatically sheathes so you'll be getting a lot of first strikes throughout the battle.

What the hell are you reading? Almost every attack weapon will out damage it's affinity counter part unless you're using massive boosts(heroics/fortify depending on the weapon and weapon type). Crit draw gives one attack a moderate boost and the sheathing won't happen often enough to make up for it. Most attack patterns should give you an incomplete spirit/slash combo with a sweep and the prolonged ones will give you time for an extended spirit combo. When a monster is incapacitated you will be doing a spirit leading to a sweep and then continuing a spirit rather than just spamming it because that way you'll do more damage.
#6SteadyPlayerPosted 1/27/2013 10:33:42 AM
I think he's talking about how affinity is actually a bigger chance than what the game says it is?
#7GobulHysteriaPosted 1/27/2013 10:36:54 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8_Viper_85(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 10:45:00 AM
Someone's got a bee in thier bonnet eh?

I'm not trying to have a row, just asking a question.

If attack up S would work out more effective then that's fair enough. I just thought I'd ask.

Thank you for your, somewhat miserable, input kind sir.
#9GobulHysteriaPosted 1/27/2013 10:48:57 AM
_Viper_85 posted...
Someone's got a bee in thier bonnet eh?

I'm not trying to have a row, just asking a question.

If attack up S would work out more effective then that's fair enough. I just thought I'd ask.

Thank you for your, somewhat miserable, input kind sir.

No, I was legitimately asking where you were reading that affinity > raw because pretty much every resource for Monster Hunter Tri will list raw > affinity outside of bowguns.
#10_Viper_85(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 11:28:30 AM(edited)
Typically I can't find the article I was reading now but when I was looking to upgrade my tough break I read that it was better to go for the option with affinity because it worked out that although not every hit was critical it would do enough criticals, which would do more damage than the raw, to make it more worthwhile than the raw version.

This could be complete rubbish.

I'm not a master of the mechanics of the game to be fair so I wouldn't know which was better. Hence why I asked.