Thousand Hour Review - WARNING: ridiculously long

#1UlNinPosted 1/29/2013 3:10:15 PM
With End Of Server approaching and me closing in on a thousand hours played, I thought it might be interesting to look back on how I've progressed from total noob to a barely mediocre player.

I did Offline first. Tried out a variety of weapons but settled on Hammer. Partly because, hammer looks awesome-est of the 1* weapons (except maybe lance). But I think the real reason is because I did best with hammer. Confession Time, I am a button masher. I mash buttons. The Superpound forced me into a different style of gameplay - making me actually look at the monster and think about hitting where the head was going to be, not where it is.

Rookies server af.ter my first Beardy. I was one of the multitude of full Lagi hunters swapping between the three LR elemental hammers. This was not a great experience. My first post on this board was a complaint against the whole "finish Offline before going Online" thing. For the first 20ish hunter ranks, you get zero progression. In fact, the monsters get stronger while you stay the same. This is something I would do differently if I could.

Finally abandoned Rookies for Open when I couldn't get past Rathalos. First time out of Rookies got me to HR quick. The group I was with then set off on a Peco hunt - so my very first HR cart was to Jho-breath. OHKO. Good times.

A desire for Arena gear forced me to try non-hammer weapons. I settled on longsword. Playing it like I hammered, running around like an idiot and then trying to dump an attack into an easy opening only to eat a tail swipe. This is my second regret - not giving other weapon types more of a chance before retreating to the comfort of the superpound. I am a slow learner, so the couple of non-hammer hunts in a row really weren 't enough. That said, I still hate lancing and great swords.

Stubborn pride kept me at HR 50 for a month. Not that I wanted to solo Ala[1], I just didn't want to be total deadweight. Under orders from bj our former LoB, I finally let Top and Trombe carry me into endgame. Thanks guys, I still think of it every time I gear up Awakened Tenebra D[2].

Thanks too to all the folks who have carried my sorry self through so many quests. Most especially Newbie, who I think I have more hours played with than without. lol. But enough with the acknowledgements since I am bound to forget people, plus I am an ungrateful jerk.

Aquamatic Spark started me bowgunning. CRAGCRAGCRAGCRAG is just so awesomely fun. I'm still in my bowgun phase and it is my go to weapon. It took a long time for me to trade up to non-gimmick gunning, and longer still to step down from Grin barrel to 0.6 Range. That last step is, in my own estimate, the bit which elevates me to mediocre. I always sucked with hammer and longsword, but with a bowgun I'm practically average[3].

A short detour with a second character to capitalize on Lessons Learned. Getting TopFan88 to HR 88 in about half the hours played (even discounting the HR 50 roadblock). A third character is HR 20 using almost exclusively bowguns. Here I learned how much I love Pellets. Starting over may sound boring, but the pacing and progression in this game is amazing and the LR game is startlingly deep and complex.

Tri has been an amazing ride for me. Different from any other game I've played. The next closest in terms of hours played is probably Fallout 3 at a couple hundred or Nethack - stretched out over the course of a decade or so. And this entire time I have been getting steadily better and learning new things as I go. That's pretty freaking amazing.

[1] I still can't.
[2] Never.
[3] Compared to other serious hunters. Note, not good - just average.
---
If language were liquid, it would be rushing in.
And yet here we are in a silence more eloquent than any words could ever be.
#2kuhchungPosted 1/29/2013 3:13:06 PM
tl dr
#3UlNin(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 3:19:07 PM
To do list:
Participate in as many GFAQs Saturday hunts as I can
Sweep some (more) legs
7 Alatreons
7 Ceadeuae
Gold Crown large Great Baggi
Sandy Jho
Learn to folding frame
Get over my aversion to Lances

and

Register a Popo
---
#4NiricPosted 1/29/2013 3:23:42 PM
UlNin posted...
To do list:
Sweep some (more) legs

"Sweep the leg!"

-Niric
---
http://www.twitch.tv/niric
#5GobulHysteriaPosted 1/29/2013 3:24:12 PM
You should make an ax only character that does nothing but discharges. It'll teach you to utilize timings as well as some of the more out there skills like negate mud/sleep in order to unlock the full potential of perfect discharging.
#6UlNin(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 3:31:44 PM
GobulHysteria posted...
You should make an ax only character that does nothing but discharges. It'll teach you to utilize timings as well as some of the more out there skills like negate mud/sleep in order to unlock the full potential of perfect discharging.

Alas, I am too slow a learner to figure out enough about discharging before April and no one will see my eventual mastery of negate mud/sleep.
---
#7GobulHysteriaPosted 1/29/2013 3:37:57 PM
UlNin posted...
GobulHysteria posted...

Alas, I am too slow a learner to figure out enough about discharging before April and no one will see my eventual mastery of negate mud/sleep.

You could ask Fabio for help.
#8metriodfan2Posted 1/30/2013 3:58:50 PM(edited)
TC, reading your post made me remember what it was like when i started out last summer. Back then, i thought the axe was the most flexible weapon, the longsword and sword and shield were meh, the lance and greatsword were slow and clunky, and the hammer was the most impractical weapon of all time.
....my god how crappy i was back then. Back then I never would have thought I could kill a rathian and rathalos solo in the arena with just a hammer. I never thought I could lance lagiacrus without taking a single hit. I never thought I could adrenaline a deviljho with a switchaxe.

went on a bit of a tangent there. just saying, like you did, its amazing to look back and realize how much you've improved.

PS, gobul, were you that guy who used used low rank armor on ala with only the assult ax who bursted a lot? someone did that when i played in gfaqs city a while back.
#9_Green_Knight_Posted 1/30/2013 9:11:49 PM
It's not even April yet, but this reminds me of when Mark and Brian went off the air.
T_T
#10FabMrFabFabPosted 1/30/2013 9:50:14 PM
UlNin posted...
GobulHysteria posted...

The only way to truly master the art of discharging is practice. Practice is the key to discharging. Without practice you won't be able to discharge as effectively or often as you'd probably like to.

For more information refer to the discharger topic.
---
Let's go Team Fabio.