Just picked this up recently

#1DynheartPosted 2/2/2013 3:51:51 AM
Picked this up to hyped myself up for the Wii U version, but it seems the community has a zero tolerance for anyone who's new. You mess up, intentional or not, you get the boot, and your reputation is scarred.

I've always been a hardcore player at heart, so I want to get good at this game. I'm guessing online is out of the question, as the phrase " I'm a new new player" scares people here? So am I stuck to playing the single player campaign only? Or will I be able to go online, solo mind you, and perhaps dodge my way around until I get, what I think would be, better?

Even then, I would think that would be pretty boring. This is a multiplayer game at heart, I would think, after all.

Pointers please.
---
Currently suffering Final Fantasy XIII-2
#2WithYouForYouPosted 2/2/2013 5:32:48 AM(edited)
I'm a new player too! Well...not really to Monster Hunter in general - but it's been so long that I'm pretty much new! I just unlocked the 2nd area in single player.

I joined a Royal Ludroth mission and did better than the people who actually had upgraded gear...it just takes patience and observance my friend! On that note, I will gladly play with you.

Also...online monsters are a lot harder than the single player ones!

We could meet up on Skype or something to play!
#3SteadyPlayerPosted 2/2/2013 7:26:10 AM
Welcome to the community
#4heavyacademicPosted 2/2/2013 7:26:59 AM
Dynheart posted...
Picked this up to hyped myself up for the Wii U version, but it seems the community has a zero tolerance for anyone who's new. You mess up, intentional or not, you get the boot, and your reputation is scarred.

I've always been a hardcore player at heart, so I want to get good at this game. I'm guessing online is out of the question, as the phrase " I'm a new new player" scares people here? So am I stuck to playing the single player campaign only? Or will I be able to go online, solo mind you, and perhaps dodge my way around until I get, what I think would be, better?

Even then, I would think that would be pretty boring. This is a multiplayer game at heart, I would think, after all.

Pointers please.

I don't know if you are on the EU servers or not? I started playing recently and went online pretty much from the start. If you connect to one of the Rookie servers you will find (hopefully as I did) other low hunter rank players who will be happy to accompany you on quests.

The first few quests are pretty easy and mainly center on locating mushrooms and other resources.

By the time you get to fight some of the larger monsters you should be skilled enough to hold your own.

The quests have hunter rank level restrictions so it is hard to get out of your depth before you have gained the equipment and experience to succeed.

Personally I avoid other players who call me a "noob" and think that being good at a computer game makes you a better person.

PS. My hunter name is Flint in case you wan to look me up. What is yours?
#5RikusMasterPosted 2/2/2013 7:50:43 AM
What servers are you on?
#6WithYouForYouPosted 2/2/2013 7:58:39 AM
RikusMaster posted...
What servers are you on?

Oh right...I forgot he didn't mention that....I'm US so if you're a US player you can play with me :D
#7Narutoman14Posted 2/2/2013 10:46:55 AM
Not all of us are that bad. I'm HR 56 and I've played for 200+ hours. Everyone has to start somewhere. So if you want to play me or my girlfriend (running on one wii) we are more than happy to play with you. Send me your name or ID and we can definitely hunt together.
---
I wish I could change my name without a completely new account, I've hated Naruto for a loooong time now.
#8Narutoman14Posted 2/2/2013 10:50:48 AM
Sorry, I forgot to say my character's name is Pants, my girlfriend's is Midori 2. We should be on around 6:00 EST if you want to look one of us up.
---
I wish I could change my name without a completely new account, I've hated Naruto for a loooong time now.
#9kuhchungPosted 2/2/2013 11:01:29 AM
Feel free to come online, especially today.
#10WithYouForYouPosted 2/2/2013 12:35:28 PM
i hope the OP replies soon...I've been trying to find somebody to play online with for an hour. Nobody replies and they leave you in the city like douchebags.