When do you expect we'll have a private server available?

#1GorillaGDPosted 5/1/2013 7:48:48 PM
Obviously many people aren't going to switch to 3U so the only alternative to online is to mod the game and get it to connect to a private server like with Star Wars Galaxies and Phantasy Star Online.
#2NettoSaitoPosted 5/1/2013 7:54:03 PM
Really, most people did switch. While Tri only had a few hundred players online at once, MH3U has a few thousand online at once. The game is more active than Tri was on launch day, and now the US and EU servers have merged.
---
3DS - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | NN - [NettoSaito]
Netto's Game Room [News and Reviews] - http://nettosgameroom.blogspot.com/
#3ngevan2kPosted 5/1/2013 8:17:45 PM
I'm going to look into this matter. Just ordered a Wii LAN Adapter and then I'm going to hook it up to my notebook with wireshark already waiting to capture data. My first goal is to write a tool that "fools" the Wii into thinking it logs on to the server so it is possible to get into Loc Lac and play the online quests. Multiplayer play is still far away though.
---
www.sufami.de
#4flanqerPosted 5/1/2013 10:00:59 PM
John Fart posted...
I'm going to look into this matter. Just ordered a Wii LAN Adapter and then I'm going to hook it up to my notebook with wireshark already waiting to capture data. My first goal is to write a tool that "fools" the Wii into thinking it logs on to the server so it is possible to get into Loc Lac and play the online quests. Multiplayer play is still far away though.

Too late for that approach to work. You should've started while the Tri servers were still up. You need to know what data the server sends to the Wii before you can write a server that will do the same.

The only other way to write your own Tri server would be to look at the game's program code, figure out where it does network communications, and study it carefully to see how it works. NOT an easy task.
#5ngevan2kPosted 5/1/2013 11:00:46 PM
As long as the data is not encrypted, I should be able to figure out what response the client is waiting for by looking at the data. Monster Hunter is very different from other Online RPGs, most of the stuff is done directly on the Wii and not controlled by the server like NPCs, Shops etc.

I think it's not impossible, I know it will be a lot of work to reverse engineer this, but I'm really burning with optimism to make some progress in this matter and I'll try everything I can to do this.
---
www.sufami.de
#6Midnight_ManiacPosted 5/2/2013 12:55:29 AM
John Fart posted...
As long as the data is not encrypted, I should be able to figure out what response the client is waiting for by looking at the data. Monster Hunter is very different from other Online RPGs, most of the stuff is done directly on the Wii and not controlled by the server like NPCs, Shops etc.

I think it's not impossible, I know it will be a lot of work to reverse engineer this, but I'm really burning with optimism to make some progress in this matter and I'll try everything I can to do this.

Well, make sure to keep us updated.
#7Frozenx07Posted 5/2/2013 10:46:14 PM
I look forward to any updates on this as well!
#8Dark_SilverXPosted 5/3/2013 12:06:58 AM
Keep us updated fart
---
Carmine is a beast. No matter how many times he dies.
http://i.imgur.com/FrZIT.jpg http://i.imgur.com/RThXu.gif
#9TrencheePosted 5/3/2013 12:19:39 AM
Dark_SilverX posted...
Keep us updated fart

---
DEAD - CLOYSTER*MAN /// DEAD - THE TRENCH
The Wii is a faulty system...
#10OxygenSupplyPosted 5/3/2013 5:25:59 AM
NettoSaito posted...
Really, most people did switch. While Tri only had a few hundred players online at once, MH3U has a few thousand online at once. The game is more active than Tri was on launch day, and now the US and EU servers have merged.

1) American and European servers are merged in MH3U
2) I went to Tri's (EU) online mode like 2 weeks ago on a Saturday at peak hour and there were still more than 2000 people connected

You may want to get interested in the wii-network project. It's related to the Dolphin emulator and the guys there have apparently already managed to make people play online from their computer. However as far as I know it was only for local multiplayer games.