Do I miss anything big or important when always offline?

#1GreedyBastard13Posted 12/9/2013 2:28:24 AM
Hi,
I have bought this game recently but will not have the time to play it any time soon (unless your answers will let me rethink that).
So will I miss anything important when I play offline only in a few years, when all servers are shutdown or whatever? I do not care for these online awards that are listed in the Cheats section, but I would like to know, if the game is still fun offline with a local coop buddy.
Is there any story part that is online only?
Is offline too difficult / too much grind because you are only two players?
Are there monsters that are online only?

Thanks for all answers!
---
"Pick me up, ya greedy bastard."
#2SinisterSaintsPosted 12/9/2013 5:33:52 AM
Actually, the servers for this game ARE already shutdown, so yeah, offline's is all you have left.
The story is offline mode only, so you won't miss anything story-wise, BUT you can't get high rank equipment offline and you won't fight some monsters, including the Deviljho, the Jhen Mohran and the Alatreon, which could only be fought online. Also, you might be a little disappointed with learning this, but the local co-op part of the game is an arena mode where you have 10 missions to beat with preset equipment. And no, your equipment from offline mode doesn't carry over to arena mode.

Those answers might disappoint you, but if you are swimming in money, there's the Wii U version which has a great online community and has new monsters. If you can't afford a new console and game, maybe take a look at a used PSP and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.
#3GreedyBastard13(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2013 5:56:38 AM
Thanks. Most answers are not too disappointing. Missing no story and only a few monsters offline is fine. It is also good to hear that playing now or in years would not remove any features that are not already gone.
Really devastating is the fact that there is no real coop mode. What the f#$%?!? I bought this as a coop game and the reason why I wanted to wait is that I have already started one RPG and a LEGO game with my coop buddy and we will not start Monster Hunter Tri any time soon. Seems I will play this game on my own -_- I will probably enjoy it nevertheless.
---
"Pick me up, ya greedy bastard."
#4GorillaGDPosted 12/9/2013 8:43:28 AM
Well you can wait for the private server in development for this game to get done. All the online exclusive equipment can be obtained through hacking that even a 9 year old can do as long as you follow instructions.
#5kuhchungPosted 12/9/2013 9:27:15 PM
The game is $10 for many many many hours of fun. I was playing it a month ago, after spending around 2000 hours online.
#6GunbladeladPosted 12/10/2013 7:07:30 AM
I believe that about 60% of the equipment will be unavailable from you offline as well, but if you never connected online with that character then the upgrades that need online stuff to make will never appear in the list, so you won't miss them either.

For the charts in the FAQs here that show the weapon trees, completely ignore any that have a red icon beside them as those will be online-only upgrades. You're limited to the "low rank" offline stuff with the blue icons.
---
Where logic won't work - I will
PAL Gamers unite - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/277-pal-gaming
#7GorillaGDPosted 12/10/2013 10:40:24 AM(edited)
The equipment forging shops will show high ranking equipment in the offline mode as well but that depends on your Hunter Rank (Which you can't raise offline) as many of them won't show up even if you were online but had a low rank. The real issue however is that even if you've reached HR51 (which is the highest rank you need to be to obtain everything), you can only obtain certain materials to forge the high ranking equipment during online high ranking quests and monsters exclusive to it.

All the content you find online except for the event quests is stored inside the game's disc but it's designed so that you can only access them when using the online mode so unless your Wii has been softmodded to allow usage of gecko/ocarina codes (or in the case of online exclusive monsters, the custom quest mod), you can't obtain them naturally without access to the online environment.

Oh, and on another note, offline monsters are much weaker then the ones online, so if you were using the equipment you obtained online, you would pretty much destroy them without much effort on your part.
#8GunbladeladPosted 12/10/2013 3:35:07 PM
As I said, GorillaGD - for any characters that never connected online, they'll never even see the high rank equipment that needed online-only materials.

The only way someone who's never played it online will know they're there is by looking at the weapon trees. In this case it's definitely a case of "If you don't know it's there you won't miss it".
---
#9GobulHysteriaPosted 12/10/2013 5:05:28 PM(edited)
Gunbladelad posted...
As I said, GorillaGD - for any characters that never connected online, they'll never even see the high rank equipment that needed online-only materials.

The only way someone who's never played it online will know they're there is by looking at the weapon trees. In this case it's definitely a case of "If you don't know it's there you won't miss it".

That's not true. I remember having decorations requiring high rank online jewels appear before I had ever gone online. Although, it was only one or two decorations. No armors or weapons.
#10GunbladeladPosted 12/10/2013 5:52:50 PM
That is true - I have one decoration listed in the synthesis shop that needs a "Bloodrun jewel" to make - I have no idea why it's listed though. My guess is Capcom fouled up listing what item triggers an item being visible to make for a few of them.
---