This board is dying, so here's some stuff I've seen noobs do on wi-fi! Don't do these! From very noob to most noob:
10. Using recons to wall Recons are paper mache. Tank/mech vs recon =85. B-copter vs recon =75. Sometimes it's actually better to wall with a bike/mech than a recon! (Tank vs. bike/mech =70) Whenever I see someone wall with a recon, I go LOL and easily punch through just like that!
9. Infantry spamming In case you didn't get the newsflash, you can't blindly produce infantry like you could in the old games. Infantry don't deal much to anything, and they can't cost-effectively defeat a boosted mech flood because of the price tweaks. There's really not much of a reason to build any infantry after day 4.
8. Pushing with no city backup Anyone who's played me knows that I love retreating weak units to cities. I like to push only if my units are 1-2 turns away from one of my cities so that I can fall back and regroup if necessary. Many noobs are overzealous, look at my mech/artillery turtle formation, and think they can break it with a bunch of tanks. All they can do is weaken a few, which retreat easily to my cities so they can fight another day. That 2hp/day on a city certainly matters!
7. Using recons to disrupt captures This one I see a fair bit. Sure you temporarily get a property lead, but thanks for the free charge! By the way, 100a recon vs 100d capping bike/mech is exactly 50. A 1-day delay isn't good enough as anyone from AWBW will tell you!
6. Focus firing at the wrong time Sometimes focus firing is good, such as using everything in your power to destroy a CO unit. Other times I see people shooting a 3hp unit over a 10hp unit. What? Most of the time it's better to mass cripple instead of focus firing. Mass crippling is less effective if they're closer to their cities (see how mistake #8 comes into play?) or if they're Brenner, but in most cases you want to disable their counterattack. Crippled direct units won't suicide unless there's a good reason.
5. Not building any mechs Instead of building mechs and banking the extra cash, noobs just tank spam. Not only is tank spam stopped by mechs and b-copters, but overbuilding tanks prevents you from teching. The non-mech player will turtle with some mechs and md tanks and eventually come out with a greater force in the middle. Whoops!
4. Teching too fast People just love their war tanks and rockets. Sure they're great units, but only if you already have a sizable army on the field. Tech too fast and you get swarmed. Unit count isn't as important in AW4 as it is in Dual Strike, but having half the units of the other player is just asking for trouble. One of my common responses to teching too fast is to simply arty spam.
3. Not building any artillery Artillery is a unit that many people just don't give enough respect because they think it's an inferior antitank/rockets. Many games I see noobs build a grand total of 0 artillery, when the artillery is the one unit you should be pumping the most money into. My rank is Artillery Corps for a good reason!
2. Building antitanks when the opponent has no tanks Oh man. Nothing to say about this one. I see this all the time. The antitank isn't a general-purpose unit!
1. Not deploying a CO unit They still think it's Dual Strike. Wow. This is the most brutal of noob mistakes!
Now you're a better player! lolololol~
fiveStep Posted 9/21/2011 8:14:44 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
Elfishguy11 Posted 9/21/2011 4:40:28 PM
I'm interested as to what he said to get moderated.
I often used to other my CO unit. --- ][|= |_| (4|\| R34[) 7|-|][5 |_| R3411Y |\|33[) 2 637 4 |_][|=3
Anouleth Posted 9/21/2011 5:33:39 PM
I was under the impression that you should basically never build anti-tanks. Even if your opponent is tank heavy, that just means you should get some mechs! I guess maybe if you're Gage, you might prefer the boosted Anti-tank but even with him 1 boosted antitanks versus 4 unboosted mechs is a hard choice.
I also thought that the main problem with lots of infantry is that it's basically free gauge for the opponent. --- I love Seth. And Titania. And Marcus. All those great already promoted EXP drains they force to take up a lot on your team.
fiveStep Posted 9/22/2011 6:00:41 AM
Did my post seriously get deleted because I wrote s***? rofl
Anyway I was just saying that sometimes buying an early Recon to disrupt the enemy's capture phaze is a good move, such as when you're 1P on Beaker River.
DEEM0 Posted 9/22/2011 10:26:24 AM
also people who spam fighters when you have bombers/bcopters instead of making the much more versatile duster+optional AA for the same cost or less.
MartinAW4 Posted 9/22/2011 11:49:13 AM
Does point 5 also apply for large maps with few bases and no airports like Antipod map or Spectacle map, or is it better just to tank and artillery spam?
businessman999 Posted 9/24/2011 12:52:21 PM
i agree that artillery are great and noobs use antitanks --- Platinum [4941 4097 8342] Black [1034 0817 0882] It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
SragentThom Posted 10/1/2011 7:22:12 AM
Gipface honestly think any one read these forums anymore? Go back to the Advance wars net forums. --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7VGdc0ixSg&feature=related Super Ronald Kart