Street Fighter has a timeline?

#1rebano_sagradoPosted 2/25/2009 12:23:20 PM
I keep hearing that the reason some characters got left out of this game was because the story takes place before or after the game said characters come out in.

I played a few Street Fighter games and the only one I remember having any kind of story at all was Alpha 3 with M. Bison and Shadaloo.

Is the overall story carried out in the games or do I have to watch the tv series and the movies to know what is going on?

Anybody have any links on the order of the games and what takes place in those games?
#2dhalsimrocksPosted 2/25/2009 12:30:11 PM
The SF storyline is a real mess. The story has been retroactively changed several times, which makes it even more confusing. Most of the official storyline comes from the games, but not all of the games are canon. If I recall correctly, the following games are cannon and in the correct order:

SF1, SFA2, SFA3, SSF2T(Revival), SFIV, SF3:SI, SF3:TS

---
May all your disgraces be private.
#3Legendary_MusasPosted 2/25/2009 12:31:46 PM
The SF storyline is a real mess. The story has been retroactively changed several times, which makes it even more confusing. Most of the official storyline comes from the games, but not all of the games are canon. If I recall correctly, the following games are cannon and in the correct order:

SF1, SFA2, SFA3, SSF2T(Revival), SFIV, SF3:SI, SF3:TS

This although I wouldn't call it a 'mess'.
---
"You don't need a reason to help people"
#4rebano_sagrado(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2009 12:34:09 PM
Alright, thanks. Just wanted to know what everyone was talking about when they mentioned a Street Fighter story.
#5dhalsimrocksPosted 2/25/2009 12:41:03 PM
I still think it's a tangled up mess of a storyline. Alpha 3 in particular really made a mess of things. The storyline for future games (SF2) had to be changed in order to explain the existence of many of the characters in SFA3. SFIV is doing it now too. Bison was supposed to have been killed by Akuma in SF2, Gouken was supposed to have been killed by Akuma before SFA2, and here they are in a game beyond SF2 in the storyline. Having said that, I don't really play it for the storyline, although I do like having character backgrounds.

---
#6Legendary_MusasPosted 2/25/2009 12:42:49 PM
Bison can't die, he pretty much has stated this every chance he gets. he just loses his physical bodies and is then transplanted into new bodies by his scientists.

The only real way of getting rid of him is destroying his body then stopping his scientists bringing him back.

Gouken being alive doesn't contradict as much as you think.
---
#7dhalsimrocksPosted 2/25/2009 12:43:06 PM
Oh, and Gen was supposed to be near death in SFA3 looking for a final fight to the death against Akuma. Apparently he finally got on health insurance and the treatments have worked, because he's still kicking several years later in the storyline in SFIV (and looking more badass than ever).

---
#8Legendary_MusasPosted 2/25/2009 12:45:41 PM
He still is near death, he even moans about his fragile body.

He has the power of nothingness like Gouken that is somehow sustaining his body.
---