Definitive Sega Saturn USB controller help topic.

#1INSANEHYENAPosted 5/13/2009 6:20:35 PM
The Sega Saturn USB controller has become very popular for Street Fighter 4 as we all know. But because of the large numbers of boot legs on the market now, a lot of people been getting controllers that would often see their d-pads break after some usage and other problems. Because of this I decided to make a topic that gathers up our knowledge of such things to make sure to look for and what sellers to avoid.

If you ordered a controller from a seller on ebay or anywhere else please post in the topic and help by giving a status update about how your controller is doing.
---
SteamID: Demo_Kirby
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=insanehyena
#2RemakeMePosted 5/13/2009 6:26:56 PM
they're all bootlegs....theory has it that they had better quality before the SF4 craze set in....high demand made them use cheaper parts......

Some sleuthing made me figure out Besbuy-Enjoy and SellerDigital work with the same batch of controllers.... thats all i know.....there email was shared....IE - DIGITALBUYSOMETHING there was a 3rd name on it but it seem unfamiliar....probably doesn't handle Saturn controllers......
---
PSN=TwoCoiNs SF4 MAINS=Geif, Gen, Rufus. Bench = Rog, Sim, Abel
#3FenderMasterPosted 5/13/2009 6:35:34 PM
i ordered 1 from bestbuy enjoy, it was white with coloured buttons. the d pad broke off after 6 days, i was given a free replacement, but the d pad broke of it in 2 days. i retrned both and recieved a full refund... at least their above board...

i kno a guy wh had a grey one since last november, and it's fine. i don't know if its because it's an older one with etter parts, or whether the grey ones are all better quality...
---
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been polluted, and the last fish has been caught, will man realize he cannot eat money
#4Richelieu21Posted 5/13/2009 6:40:44 PM
If you have a sega saturn controller still, and a ps3, you can get a joybox adapter that will allow you to use your saturn controller on the ps3.
---
PSN: SFrichy
#5RemakeMePosted 5/13/2009 7:15:46 PM
i kept mine and swapped the dpad with a spare NUBYTech dpad and works fine...

needed some shaving tho.... I think other Saturn controllers are swappable with the DPAD also so keep that in mind...if u want the USB on it..

I tried to use a Sega Genesis dpad but its a bit too big.....and has u different plug in....... Look for stores in your city that sell games.... GAMESPLUS? that are like gamestop etc....but they buy and sell used games from back in the day to present..... NES, 3D0, SATURN, 360, PS3.....etc they may have a saturn controller

There's an official PS2 version of the SATURN controller too that Sega made....you can use a PELICAN adapter and it works i believe as well....the ps2/ps3 adapters at FRYS WONT WORK as of late.
---
PSN=TwoCoiNs SF4 MAINS=Geif, Gen, Rufus. Bench = Rog, Sim, Abel
#6INSANEHYENA(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2009 12:12:50 AM
Some mom and Pop game store near me does sell generic brand Sega Saturn controllers. I will check what they are next time.
---
#7SaturnHSTPosted 5/14/2009 12:18:26 AM
I use the PS2 Saturn pads with the Hais PS2-to-PS3 adapter and it works perfectly.

For the USB Saturn pads, it's best to buy an actual model-2 Saturn pad and swap the dpads, since their internals are identical.
#8john_4_pPosted 5/14/2009 12:24:55 AM
I recently bought an original Saturn-controller and a "PC Magic Box"-USB-converter. It works lagfree.
I can fully recommend that. Best SF-pad in the world. Definitely vastly superior to the cheap USB-knockoffs.
And genuine-Saturn pads are far cheaper than the PS2-versions.

Only downside is the non-working START-button - but you don't need it when playing online.
Only in training mode - just use the DS3/Sixaxis to make adjustments in the options menu and then switch back to Saturn pad...

---
Be like WATAAA, my friend!
#9INSANEHYENA(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2009 11:31:29 AM
I ordered myself a Black and Gray from litianedup_wifi since she has maintained a very good rep and she is well recommended on other sites. So I will update on those controllers when I get them.

I will check out what those generic pads are and I actually am wondering would a Wii classic controllers dpad work as a replacement if a controllers did break. Because I have two of those and I never use them.
---
#10FenderMasterPosted 5/16/2009 12:13:46 PM
@ insanehyena

be sure to report back here, give it 2-3 weeks before giving your verdict

if your controllers are okay, i might just try again too!!

god i love SS controllers!
---
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been polluted, and the last fish has been caught, will man realize he cannot eat money