This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Octagon or circle gate for my arcade stick.

#1shaboogawa35Posted 3/1/2009 11:15:30 PM
Does anyone know if replacing the square gate with an octagon or circle gate mess up the hardware at all?? Specifically for sanwa joysticks?
#2nv4derPosted 3/1/2009 11:18:43 PM
no gates do not mess up hardware at all, you just got to get one that fits properly. Im not sure if you know how a gate works but all it does is restrict the stick to certain area, has nothing to do with wiring or touching other parts my friend. BUt if you need a place to get them, lizardlick.com is a great site for arcade pieces.
#3Rizhall456Posted 3/1/2009 11:23:24 PM
why on earth would you get rid of a square gate??
#4nv4derPosted 3/1/2009 11:26:29 PM
cuz if you've ever played street fighter except for sfIV in a arcade there is either a octo-gate or a circle gate, so these square gates make it rather difficult to do QCF motions for people who are not used to them. Its just a preference, some people like square others like octo
#5Solid SonicPosted 3/1/2009 11:27:32 PM

why on earth would you get rid of a square gate??

Well, think about it: an octagonal gate has more edges, which is integrally closer to the shape of a circle than a square is. A square has only 4 edges while an octagon has eight.
---
As long as I live, I can blame any misery I feel on the unbridled hate that Yahtzee bestowed onto Sonic Unleashed. Thanks, man.
#6tokyowatcherPosted 3/2/2009 2:04:54 AM
Replacing your square restrictor plate with a octagonal restrictor plate is the best thing you can do besides upgrading all your fightstick parts with sanwa official parts like I did. Hit me up on aim if you have any questions - Tokyowatcher
#7Ehw1Posted 3/2/2009 2:07:38 AM
Is there anyway to get the PS3 controller to work on the 360. And before anyone flips out and starts to flame me, they did make an adapter for the regular Xbox and PS2
---
I am from Beyond. Slay your enemies and all you desire shall be yours.
#8The Last CetraPosted 3/2/2009 2:13:32 AM
About the only character that swapping to an octagonal plate makes a big difference for is Zangief. Every other character is easily adaptable with a square plate (even Zangief can be adjusted with one, to be honest). And really, a square plate is easier to play charge-type characters with than an octagon plate is.

Personal preference, but I've never understood the problems people have with square restrictor plates.
---
Go home and be a family man.
#9ocgnhiroPosted 3/2/2009 6:03:45 AM
Actually in my opinion, square gates are the WORST for charge based characters. WIth the except of down/back (where theres a corner in a square gate) theres no real "feel" for down or back, you just have to kind of rest the stick in the down position - too easy to not be precise. However with octogonal gate, there is specifically a lock for the down direction as well as back. Square gate to me just seems so totally illogical in agame based on 8 directions.

But again, thats my opinion. THe Octo gate was the single greatest upgrade (even when I did full sanwa upgrade) because it was the most obvious and noticeable. Also, octo works great for curve based moves like QCF/B etc. Yes it does work well with Zangief, but only for the obvious reason that he has a full circle move.

ALso the gate simply clicks in/out. The easiest upgrade you can make to the stick. The only downside (if you care) is opening the stick case and voiding warranty - but well worth it imo.
#10tokerbluePosted 3/2/2009 6:19:55 AM
I main Zangief and use a Sanwa JLF with a square gate. I have no problems with a 360 or 720.

IMO, you should try the square gate first to see how you like it. I've played in American arcades my whole life and have used octogonal gates. It took me about 1 hour to get used to a square gate.
---
"We have sunk to such a depth that the restatement of the obvious has become the first duty of intelligent men" - George Orwell