This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats a tick throw?

#1Real_BonedusterPosted 7/30/2009 1:18:11 AM
thanks dudes
---
I have random delusional desire
#2MySnakesSolidPosted 7/30/2009 1:21:41 AM
just press Light Punch & Light Kick to throw

tick throw = grab, throw etc... have no idea what "tick" is there for
---
Shenmue III would be nice
#3failure_turtlePosted 7/30/2009 1:23:39 AM
its when you use an attack that's blocked and then throw the instant they leave blockstun.

the tick is the hit before the throw

---
No matter how close two people are, an infinite distance separates them.
#4MySnakesSolidPosted 7/30/2009 1:39:43 AM
oh i see! I didnt know that tbh... of course I do it but I didnt realise thats what it meant :S
---
#5TheOffbeatPosted 7/30/2009 2:24:57 AM
Well, if you dont know what it means, then you dont know what it is.. you're confusing me
---
Guilty is such a bad term, I prefer "not Innocent"
#6MySnakesSolidPosted 7/30/2009 2:43:14 AM
throw after block-stun = tick throw

throw = throw

I didnt realise that a throw after block stun was officially called a "tick throw"

I thought "tick" was just some next internet term lol
---
#7KiddDaBeautyPosted 7/30/2009 4:22:02 AM
Actually, to set it straight...

Tick throwing means to throw somebody who is in their blocking animation. You use a move which forces the opponent to guard for more frames than your recovery, allowing you to input a throw while they have no choice but to keep guarding. Depending on the game, whether you can tech (break) throws or not, this may or may not be inescapable.

And in the case of sf4, it does not actually have tick throwing cause you cannot throw a blocking character. Try hitting Akuma's ultra for instance (this counts as a throw), as blatantly as you can. Your jabs will hit the opponent, starting a combo, and when the ultra comes out he will push the opponent a while - allowing the opponent to jump out for free - because the game does not allow you to combo into a throw.

Now try starting the ultra away from the opponent, you will see Akuma grabs the opponent the moment they touch instead of pushing - because the throw is done outside of a combo (ie it just works).

The closest you get to tick throwing in this game is forcing the opponent into blockstun and then throwing as quickly as you can once they get out of it, hoping your throw has priority over whatever they attempt.

The idea of a tick throw is to make an inescapable throw aside from teching, which in other words isn't possible in sf4 since you cannot throw a blocking opponent.
---
Everything that blooms will one day wither - Orochimaru
My dreams are of the past, and they'll remain so forever - Sasuke
#8SF3SuperFanPosted 7/30/2009 4:39:06 AM
Doing a weak hp/hk crossover then throwing (assuming the crossover was telegraphed and blocked) is as close to a tick throw as you can get in this game.
---
SF4:nantoshinken
#9Decadent OnePosted 7/30/2009 5:16:35 AM
Tick throwing means to throw somebody who is in their blocking animation. You use a move which forces the opponent to guard for more frames than your recovery, allowing you to input a throw while they have no choice but to keep guarding. Depending on the game, whether you can tech (break) throws or not, this may or may not be inescapable.

And in the case of sf4, it does not actually have tick throwing cause you cannot throw a blocking character. Try hitting Akuma's ultra for instance (this counts as a throw), as blatantly as you can. Your jabs will hit the opponent, starting a combo, and when the ultra comes out he will push the opponent a while - allowing the opponent to jump out for free - because the game does not allow you to combo into a throw.

This wrong. A tic throw is simply throwing after a quick attack. Almost no fighter allows you to throw a target who is in either hitstun or blockstun. This was the same in ST and 3S. Working out the right delay for each normal tic into SPD was Zangief's entire technical game.
---
Just because you don't type like an idiot, people respect you chiIIin
#10KiddDaBeautyPosted 7/30/2009 6:23:14 AM
Well, that's how I was taught anyway xD Outside of the entire SF sphere, since this is the first SF I play seriously. "Almost no fighter", huh? Seems like I've been (un)lucky in my choice of fighters then ;D
---
Everything that blooms will one day wither - Orochimaru
My dreams are of the past, and they'll remain so forever - Sasuke