Why do Nintendo fans not like Sega games?

#11Ganon24Posted 2/28/2008 1:53:37 AM
That's not true. I love Sega and Nintendo equally (ever since the NES/SMS days), with Square Enix, Capcom, and Konami close behind. They aren't perfect, I'll admit...with NoA's stupid ignorance for the EarthBound series and SoA's ignorance for NiGHTS 1 PS2 version. Heck I'll throw in Square Enix's ignorance for Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix + not coming to the US.

I still support them all though.

I have no prob with spinoffs as long as they are fun. I don't hate Sonic's post-SHeroes 3-D games, I think they have some really fun moments, just too many glitches.

Then again, I'm the only fan in the world that likes StarFox Adventures more then the other ones.
---
EarthBound>Chrono Trigger>Zelda>Sonic>Smash Bros>Resident Evil>Kingdom Hearts>Mario>Metal Gear>Final Fantasy>Monkey Island>All
#12Super-Mario-FanPosted 2/28/2008 3:50:53 PM

I don't know. Quality maybe? Many of their recent games, with the exception of a select few haven't been that good.

I enjoyed Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, but I'm only going to rent Superstars Tennis. Why? Because SEGA was too lazy to add online play to the Wii version.>:(

#13smegpotPosted 3/1/2008 5:01:11 AM
It's system rivalry that dates back to before your time.
It's like rooting for one sports team over another.

that, and Sega games have largely decreased in quality since the death of the DreamCast, while Nintendo continues to pump out well produced high quality games...and yes, there are exceptions to this statement for both companies.
#14PedroMontanaPosted 3/1/2008 1:50:26 PM
@ smegpot: The Sonic series has decreased in quality, mainly because of being handled by Sonic Team USA. The rest of Sega is still as awesome as it always was. Great/good games released by Sega since the end of the Dreamcast: Virtua Fighter 4 & 5, Monkey Ball 1, 2, Deluxe and Banana Blitz, House of the Dead 3&4, F-Zero GX&AX, Jat Set Radio Future, Virtua Cop 3, Ghost Squad, Yakuza and many more.
Sega's problem is that they build up Sonic as their mascot when they needed him to compete with Nintendo's cartoony Jump'n Runs and now everybody is judging Sega by their weakest series. The new 2D Sonic games are still pretty good, but even back in the Genesis days I would rather have played Streets of Rage.
---
No More Heroes
#15EdwardoMario16Posted 3/2/2008 8:12:12 AM
Because SEGA was too lazy to add online play to the Wii version.>:(

Maybe because the Wii's online stinks?
---
Sonic: "That tornado's carrying a car!"
Sega's brilliant writing skills at work in Sonic '06.
#16srf889Posted 3/2/2008 4:45:55 PM
To the person who commented about Star Fox being the only Nintendo series without a game, F-Zero wants a word with you.
---
donkey kong belongs to rare now....-randochew
#17Super-Mario-FanPosted 3/2/2008 8:17:51 PM

EdwardoMario16 posted...
Because SEGA was too lazy to add online play to the Wii version.>:(

Maybe because the Wii's online stinks?
---
Sonic: "That tornado's carrying a car!"
Sega's brilliant writing skills at work in Sonic '06.

No. Many of the online features on the the other versions of the game are doable on the Wii. Spectating other people's matches? Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Leaderboards? Mario Strikers Charged and Mario Kart Wii. The only excuse I can see for the lack of online play is if Nintendo doesn't give its 3rd party devs the tools to build online games (which would be bad). Otherwise, it's SEGA being lazy.

#18FelineCyborgPosted 3/13/2008 11:49:50 PM
Sega just fails when it tries to take Nintendo's "party" formula. When they make actual games they are (or I'm starting to the past tense "were" sadly) amazing. When they start trying to do stuff like "sonic shuffle" or this potential bomb they fail miserably.
---
"I can't enjoy anything unless everybody is, one guy starving some place puts a crimp on my evening" - Woody Allen
#19QuinnandGoblinPosted 3/14/2008 5:20:00 AM
I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but i'm also a huge sega fan.

Grew up with a NES, then Sega Megadrive, SNES, Sega Saturn, N64, Dreamcast (japanese version), Cube, Wii etc etc, so, had a good comination of Nintendo and Sega Consoles and games (and of course sony and MS but off topic)

Now, i remember the original console wars of Sega vs Nintendo, was funny stuff back in primary and early high school, mario vs sonic, which version of street fighter 2 was better, which version of MK was better, ea sports genesis games vs snes etc.

I'm more a Nintendo fan, than i am a sega fan, but to me that's purely because Nintendo has been putting out more quality titles for longer than Sega, with some of Segas recent entries hit n miss.

HUGE fan of sonics 2d games, absolutely hate whats become of sonic in 3d though, and would much prefer a new sonic game to be 2d with amazing level designs and crazy background graphics.

ANYWAYS, back on topic.

It sounds like you hate Nintendo games more than Nintendo fans hate sega games man. Huge success with Nights? I have Nights for saturn, and the new sequel for Wii, and neither sold brilliantly, so success is the wrong word to be used there. How is sega more balanced with what they release?

Sounds like you got some jealousy issues going on with Mario tbh lol.

Yes, Mario stars in many games, including Galaxy, Mario Party, Mario Strikers, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Tennis/Golf (N64 and cube days), Mario Kart etc. But ALL of those games are quality products, and all of them include characters such as Luigi, Peach, Toad, Waluigi, Wario, Koopa, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, etc etc.

Nintendo, if anything, has made plenty of distinct and memorable characters in its mario series, enough that i believe makes those games so fun because all the characters are fun.

SSBB also includes characters from many other series, so is very diverse with choices as well. (much more in that than there is in SST)

I don't think Nintendo focus is too much held on Mario, they have major franchises in Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Metroid, SSB, Starfox, Fire Emblem, Advance/Battalian Wars.

Marios style of characters simply suit more party friendly games, as compared to say Link and Samus.

Sega on the other hand, also have a good amount of characters they could have used for spinoffs, but, their attempts at spinoffs in the past, Sonic R, Sonic Shuffle, please, horrid stuff there alone.

I think Sega could develop some amazingly good party games with characters from franchises such as VF, Sonic, Monkey Ball, Nights, HOTD, VC, PSO, Shenmue and many others to choose from, but it needs to really think about what works, (SST sounds like it is gonna be crazy fun) and what doesn't (Sonic Shuffle, meh).

SST works with a diverse roster, as does SSBB, but you wouldn't make a Sega kart with characters across such multiple genres, you'd have to stick to a specific visual style, so it'll be interesting to see where Sega go after the expected success of SST.
#20SR71haloPosted 3/14/2008 9:56:21 AM

No. Many of the online features on the the other versions of the game are doable on the Wii. Spectating other people's matches? Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Leaderboards? Mario Strikers Charged and Mario Kart Wii. The only excuse I can see for the lack of online play is if Nintendo doesn't give its 3rd party devs the tools to build online games (which would be bad). Otherwise, it's SEGA being lazy.

The Wii's online is inferior to that of the 360 and PS3. It's even so difficult to make games playable online for the Wii that most companies just don't even bother.