So um, the masks? *spoilers*

#1IcewitchPosted 3/21/2010 10:34:23 PM
What was the point of them? I don't really follow. Were they some kind of AI thing? The first monster you encounter is one of the masks and it's like "oh, a human, I thought we got rid of you all", and you fight them at least 3-4 more times before the end of the game. I thought they were going to play some role in the overarching plot, but apparently not.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#2ChojutoPosted 3/21/2010 10:45:31 PM
I think they were part of the A.I. thing. And I think Fragile actually has room for a sequel.

ENDING SPOILERS:
If you paid close attention, when Sai says "I love you" and all that stuff and Shin throws the blue chip thingy away, you hear a robotic voice that says "To abandon it for an intangible thing such as love..." or something like that. So I think the AI Glass Cage thingy is still active, and I think that's what sent those mask thingies.
#3Icewitch(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2010 10:50:49 PM
If you paid close attention, when Sai says "I love you" and all that stuff and Shin throws the blue chip thingy away, you hear a robotic voice that says "To abandon it for an intangible thing such as love..." or something like that. So I think the AI Glass Cage thingy is still active, and I think that's what sent those mask thingies.

Yeah, I did hear that. And I was thinking at the time "oh, now I have to fight the AI", but it never happened.

The ending was so ambiguous though, on that and on everything else...
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#4ChojutoPosted 3/21/2010 10:56:11 PM
Well, I wouldn't say the ending was "ambiguous," exactly. It just felt really rushed. Like they didn't have enough time to stretch it out as much as it was supposed to be and instead had to rush in everything in one cut-scene. But yeah having left the AI thingy out of the equation leaves the door open for a sequel.
#5Icewitch(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2010 11:07:03 PM
It didn't really explain Sai's relationship to Seto, nor did it accurately detail exactly what happened to her to cause her death.

It didn't explain whether or not there really were other living survivors. It hints at the fact that Shin was using a computer to send out the radio message.

Nor does it explain where the masks come from, or the demon dogs, or the bizarre quadropedal monsters come from. The nearest explanation that it gives is that the world is inhabited by spirits now instead of living flesh, but why is Sai a human esque ghost? Do some people just turn into demon dogs instead? Really left a lot to the imagination.

It didn't even explain Seto or Ren's ultimate fate, and hints that Ren dies leaving Seto alone. Hell, I still don't understand why Ren was so far away from the Glass Cage computer at the beginning of the game anyway, and then she just.. runs back to it? If she was trying to get away why did she just go back?

I would call it an ambiguous ending, because all of the questions in game remain unanswered, the best you can do is offer a theory on what happened. The plot in this game is more scrambled than the eggs I ate for breakfast. I understand its an artsy game, maybe it was just a bad translation or something but I am scratching my head at 90% of the story.
---
#6ChojutoPosted 3/21/2010 11:30:07 PM
Okay, you win >.>
#7Icewitch(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2010 11:31:38 PM
LOL. Maybe I went a little over board with that post. I am really nitpicky about plot elements though.

I *did* enjoy the game though, and it was well worth my money, but I felt it had a lot of plot holes.
---
#8ChojutoPosted 3/21/2010 11:34:51 PM
Yeah, I agree. The plot was too loose I guess, and the ending didn't do a sufficient job of explaining the loose ends that should've been touched on more throughout the game.

But at least we still enjoyed the game :D
#9WiiWackaPosted 3/24/2010 2:03:56 AM
Seto also is carrying around a piece of the crystal mainframe in his locket.

There's room for a sequel, definitely.
---
This sig is provided for your reading convenience.
#10Posed to DeathPosted 3/24/2010 3:31:09 PM
It didn't really explain Sai's relationship to Seto, nor did it accurately detail exactly what happened to her to cause her death.

---- Sai and Seto's relationship? What is there to explain. Also, it is implied that being a catalyst will kill you.

It didn't explain whether or not there really were other living survivors. It hints at the fact that Shin was using a computer to send out the radio message.

--- When did it hint that Shin was sending out the radio message. If you're talking about it playing when you enter the large red room (2nd to last boss), let me point you to the fact that Shin was trying to hinder Seto's advancement to save Ren. Why would Shin be using fake radio messages to inspire Seto? And, Seto even says "there's more people out there, let's go find them" in the ending. Ren was the 2nd catalyst for Glass Cage. She was to be used to connect all humans in the world which is why the radio messages were played in that room as well.

Nor does it explain where the masks come from, or the demon dogs, or the bizarre quadropedal monsters come from. The nearest explanation that it gives is that the world is inhabited by spirits now instead of living flesh, but why is Sai a human esque ghost? Do some people just turn into demon dogs instead? Really left a lot to the imagination.

--- There's not definitive answer, no. But, not everything has to be explains. Why are there random enemies everywhere in RPGs? I think all of them are MTE (Malicious Thought Entities). I don't think the MTE title is exclusive to the jellyfish. Varying forms for more varied gameplay. Anyways, you forget Chiyo is also human-looking in Ghost form.

It didn't even explain Seto or Ren's ultimate fate, and hints that Ren dies leaving Seto alone. Hell, I still don't understand why Ren was so far away from the Glass Cage computer at the beginning of the game anyway, and then she just.. runs back to it? If she was trying to get away why did she just go back?

--- Welcome to Japan, the world of open-ended stories. The whole Seto ended up alone thing felt kind of tacked on to pull on your heartstrings, but other than that the ending is pretty direct. Perhaps a sequel will include getting the world back together (if that ever comes to fruition). But there's always going to that "What happens next" questions.

I would call it an ambiguous ending, because all of the questions in game remain unanswered, the best you can do is offer a theory on what happened. The plot in this game is more scrambled than the eggs I ate for breakfast. I understand its an artsy game, maybe it was just a bad translation or something but I am scratching my head at 90% of the story.

--- Plot seems consistent, without any huge gaping holes if I do say so myself. The ending isn't completely wrapped up, it's open-ended, yes. The gripes you have just make it seem like you didn't pay attention or are questioning things that seem like they shouldn't be questioned.

Just my 2 cents.
---
currently playing: Too many RPGs.