Should I play the first two before this one?

#1InfinityForeverPosted 3/12/2011 3:21:00 PM
I never played the first, for some reason the games slid under my radar as I tend to try to play almost any game as long as it's not sports or party games (just not my kind of games, no offense).

The screen-shots I've seen look amazing, however if there is anything that I should know in the first two before playing this one coming out, then I will rent them (through my GameFly account) and play them before this one. I just need to know for sure whether or not I should, so what do you all say?
#2IminyourclosetPosted 3/12/2011 3:35:38 PM(edited)
You should definately play the original, partly to get an idea of what kind of plot and settings you'll encounter, and what kinds of playstyles will be available.

Mainly though, you need to play it because it's among the greatest games of all time. Like, top 5.

Edit: Forgot to add, you probably don't need to bother with the second (Invisible War), I didn't. I'd heard the plot and story-progression quality dropped in favour of focusing on gameplay stuff, like Bioshock 2 compared to Bioshock (I wish I hadn't bothered with Bioshock 2).

Don't worry about following the story though. While Invisible War is a sequel to Deus Ex, Human Revolution is a prequel (I think it takes place 15 years before), so you won't need to bother with trying to follow the story so far, although there'll probably be a few references that you'll miss if you don't.
---
"I think all you gotta do is find that little black kid, and doesn't that start the whole backdoor option?" -WHiTE_LickR
#3moshaspartan2Posted 3/13/2011 1:06:00 PM
both of the previous deus ex games were absolutely brilliant and you should play them for sure. invisible war is totally undeserving of the hatred it receives.
---
R.I.P Jack-1996-2007
~MK marksman~
#4GigabomberPosted 3/15/2011 9:21:17 PM
You might want to try playing the first one soon before you get even more spoiled with modern graphics and effects and can't go back. However, it seems like this one will stand on its own fairly well.
#5GaMeR_JeNnPosted 3/16/2011 4:08:34 AM
do you need to? no. should you? yes. they are both great games, Invisible War is not as good as the original but still great.

Deus Ex is one of the greatest games created, up there with Doom and FFVII
---
To conquer fear, you must become fear. - Ra's al Ghul
Now replace the words "fear" with what ever you are trying to conquer
#6Omega_GilgameshPosted 3/18/2011 7:26:55 PM
If you like them, I would recommend downloading them off of Steam or (what I use) Direct2Drive, where they're only ten dollars, no tax. The PC version of Deus Ex is better than the PS2 version, just the act of inputting security codes and username/log-ins is way more satisfying than in the PS2 version where those are input automatically after you find the codes. Plus, during action sequences the PS2 version stutters like crazy, and also has WAY smaller areas leading to a lot more loading screens.

The biggest problems I have with Invisible War is that the writing isn't quite as sharp, unless you use melee a lot you'll never have enough ammo, the different "factions" are ideological archetypes either taken WAY too far to be remotely likeable or are underdeveloped to the point that you don't care at all, and all four endings are, to me, equally undesirable outcomes whereas the original Deus Ex endings were neither good nor evil, but understandable rather than equally upsetting. Otherwise it's much more user friendly than the first game, and since you have access to all augmentations, essentially, right from the start that's a definate plus.
---
On "Why are you imprisoned at the beginning of TESV: Skyrim?"
"Being the wrong race, at the wrong time."-Irulesmost
#7snoognz123Posted 3/19/2011 3:54:10 AM(edited)
Get the Steam version. I got the D2D version as I lost my disk and wanted to try the nameless mod but I couldn't get it to work with the D2D version, it does with the Steam one however.

Also if you're going to play some classic games, try Thief1&2 if you never have played them. They are great games like Deus Ex.
---
Cheers!
#8freemaPosted 3/19/2011 7:34:50 AM

I shur hope not. THe first one realy didnt age well. My bro played it and couldnt stand the first level even lol. I might try the second game though. It looks kinda cool if I can find the old xbox version.

#9Omega_GilgameshPosted 3/19/2011 3:40:42 PM
freema posted...
I shur hope not. THe first one realy didnt age well. My bro played it and couldnt stand the first level even lol. I might try the second game though. It looks kinda cool if I can find the old xbox version.

The first level sucks, anyway.
---
On "Why are you imprisoned at the beginning of TESV: Skyrim?"
"Being the wrong race, at the wrong time."-Irulesmost
#10calinksPosted 3/21/2011 1:42:41 AM
I'm playing right now. I like it but I'm not wowed. I don't think I'm leveling my guy right or something. I'm only on the second mission though.
---
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite post on gamefaqs!