Factory Zero achievement

#1murphdragPosted 2/27/2012 3:14:19 PM
Do lethal takedowns void this achievement?
#2SheepinatorPosted 2/27/2012 4:07:21 PM
"You survived The Missing Link using no Praxis kits, weapons, or explosives. Whoa."
#3nateweiPosted 2/27/2012 4:29:03 PM
No, you can still do lethal takedowns.
#4murphdrag(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2012 12:59:48 AM
Isn't stabbing them essentially using weapons? Can anybody confirm this?
#5SalchichasPosted 3/1/2012 8:55:17 PM
I got the Factory Zero achievement just incapacitating people. Just don't use lethal takedowns. Besides, when they say weapon, I assume they mean weapons that you pick up.
#6MattheauPosted 3/2/2012 4:35:39 AM
Really, just don't use lethal takedowns, period, is good advice, achievement or not.
#7NeutralDrowPosted 3/18/2012 6:09:32 PM
No, lethal takedowns don't invalidate the Factory Zero achievement. Believe me, I know. The final boss started criticizing me on the hypocrisy of rescuing all the civilians but leaving a trail of corpses on my way to fight him. Because killing armed, armored, hostile professional mercenaries is totally on the exact moral level as killing defenseless people kidnapped off the street in cold blood because they'd implicate you in wrongdoing if left alive.

Then again, he also implied that my decision to save everyone ("All of the Above," baby!) was indicative of a personal failing on my part, so I opted not to argue with him.

I just let my close, personal friends Chipp and Mr. Stabby offer a pointed objection. He maintained his silence, so I won the debate by default.

Really, just don't use lethal takedowns, period, is good advice, achievement or not.

It's good advice except when the achievement is involved. The advantages of nonlethal takedowns are that they're relatively quiet and give extra XP. Then I realized that once patrolling guards are under constant alarm (as they are past a certain point), being quiet isn't as valuable, and going for the Factory Zero achievement means XP is meaningless.

Once I saw those things, I also found the single advantage of lethal force: enemies taken down that way stay down.
---
"Oh man, we're in trouble!"
"Come now. The worst that can happen is we all die."
#8giantartichokePosted 3/18/2012 8:22:10 PM
NeutralDrow posted...
No, lethal takedowns don't invalidate the Factory Zero achievement. Believe me, I know. The final boss started criticizing me on the hypocrisy of rescuing all the civilians but leaving a trail of corpses on my way to fight him. Because killing armed, armored, hostile professional mercenaries is totally on the exact moral level as killing defenseless people kidnapped off the street in cold blood because they'd implicate you in wrongdoing if left alive.

Then again, he also implied that my decision to save everyone ("All of the Above," baby!) was indicative of a personal failing on my part, so I opted not to argue with him.

I just let my close, personal friends Chipp and Mr. Stabby offer a pointed objection. He maintained his silence, so I won the debate by default.

It's good advice except when the achievement is involved. The advantages of nonlethal takedowns are that they're relatively quiet and give extra XP. Then I realized that once patrolling guards are under constant alarm (as they are past a certain point), being quiet isn't as valuable, and going for the Factory Zero achievement means XP is meaningless.

Once I saw those things, I also found the single advantage of lethal force: enemies taken down that way stay down.

How did you get all of the above and factory zero on the same run through? Although you can get into the vent without any augs, I don't see how you can get high enough into the room without the jumping aug. And even once you're in there I have no clue how you'd destroy the controls without any weapons/explosives.

My first playthrough I did factory zero, but I also decided to be entirely nonlethal since my first main game playthrough was nonlethal too. Man, that was definitely a challenge since the enemies kept waking up and this time I couldn't use stun guns, tranq rifles, or emps/gas grenades.
#9aimingdevicePosted 3/19/2012 10:46:42 PM
It is possible to do both achievements at the same time. It requires you to use the various crates to break the large crate blocking the vent, to stack the long boxes scattered around along the pipe (drag it through the vent) to climb up to the normally accessible area and to toss a fire extinguisher at the poison gas tube to disable it.

Needless to say, it's best done prior to when the need save everyone is required. As in, you take out all the guards on your first visit to the prisoner area and set it up so that you can easily get the achievement of saving everyone when the time comes (after witnessing Kietner's demise). Otherwise, you got to worry about stacking and breaking items with the time limit and the respawn of new guards giving you hassle.

I believe there is a youtube video that details this
---
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. ~Sun Tzu