Killing effect anything?

#1vashkeyPosted 3/31/2012 3:48:10 PM
Does killing your enemies effect the story and the characters' perception of you?

While I would prefer being stealthy and a nice guy by not killing anyone I find it frustrating, I'll accidentally get spotted and have to restart sequence over and over again.
#2AzanodePosted 3/31/2012 7:11:02 PM
No, characters don't respond any differently and it doesn't affect the story.
#3IminyourclosetPosted 4/1/2012 6:07:48 AM
I went on a 'kill everything' playthrough, and I was surprised at how little anyone cared or it affected the story.

And you should have used 'affect' (the verb), not 'effect' (the noun)
---
"I think all you gotta do is find that little black kid, and doesn't that start the whole backdoor option?" -WHiTE_LickR
#4MattheauPosted 4/1/2012 12:51:43 PM
Iminyourcloset posted...
And you should have used 'affect' (the verb), not 'effect' (the noun)

Yeah, before you try correcting people's grammar, you might want to actually know what you are talking about. "Effect" and "Affect" can both be used as a noun or a verb. They are nearly synonyms with a very slight difference in meaning based solely on the situational context. Even then, in a lot of contexts, it isn't necessarily clear which is the correct one to use in the verb form. As a noun, it's easier. Use "effect" unless you are a psychologist.

If you want to be a stickler about it, neither of those words are correct. However, in common usage "effect" is understood in this context. Really, most people could not functionally speak English if you expected them to use every single word grammatically correct at all times.
#5remotecar3Posted 4/1/2012 1:06:39 PM
I think it only effects (affects? Dammit I don't know!) what people say to you after missions and read in newspapers. For example, if you sneak through the entire Sarif Factory level and maybe only knock out one or two guys then the guards will tell you how much of a ghost you were. But if you kill everyone then they'll tell you that it was a bloodbath, which the newspapers will reflect. Same thing with the Detroit PD building. But as far as it having long term consequences, not really, though one of the important NPCs will probably acknowledge it shortly after the mission is complete. It's pretty cool imo.
---
No mustard on my bike
#6remotecar3Posted 4/1/2012 1:08:30 PM
Ah, didn't read above post, it seems that 'affects' is the correct word. I really hate the English language's random changing of spelling sometimes.
---
No mustard on my bike
#7IminyourclosetPosted 4/1/2012 3:20:17 PM(edited)
But in this context, 'effect' is wrong and 'affect' is correct.

I'm aware there are other uses ('He tried to effect change in...' where effect is used as a verb similar to 'instigate', and a person's affect, meaning how they're displaying their emotions or state of mind through physical expression), but this was not one of those times. He meant 'affect' and used the wrong word.
---
"I think all you gotta do is find that little black kid, and doesn't that start the whole backdoor option?" -WHiTE_LickR
#8MattheauPosted 4/2/2012 3:05:09 AM
Iminyourcloset posted...

I'm aware there are other uses ('He tried to effect change in...' where effect is used as a verb similar to 'instigate', and a person's affect, meaning how they're displaying their emotions or state of mind through physical expression), but this was not one of those times. He meant 'affect' and used the wrong word.

Again, maybe you should check into what the words mean. That is not the difference between "effect" and "affect" in the verb form. "Effect" refers to the context of something completely original. "Affect" refers to the context of alteration of something that already exists. He is doing neither, he is following preexisting pathways.

In terms of common usage, "effect" is used, not "affect" in this context. No one, except psychologists, use "affect" for common usage. Using "affect," even in this situation where it seems more correct is wrong. It is the common usage definition being used, which means "effect" is correct.

"Affect," in this context, is flat out wrong. "Effect" is the correct variant in common use. Strictly speaking, by its own definition, "affect" does not apply because there are no actual alterations taking place. That's like trying to use "affect" when saying you turned left at an intersection.
#9ViciousXl2Posted 4/3/2012 5:44:38 PM
Mattheau posted...
Iminyourcloset posted...

Again, maybe you should check into what the words mean. That is not the difference between "effect" and "affect" in the verb form. "Effect" refers to the context of something completely original. "Affect" refers to the context of alteration of something that already exists. He is doing neither, he is following preexisting pathways.

In terms of common usage, "effect" is used, not "affect" in this context. No one, except psychologists, use "affect" for common usage. Using "affect," even in this situation where it seems more correct is wrong. It is the common usage definition being used, which means "effect" is correct.

"Affect," in this context, is flat out wrong. "Effect" is the correct variant in common use. Strictly speaking, by its own definition, "affect" does not apply because there are no actual alterations taking place. That's like trying to use "affect" when saying you turned left at an intersection.

You always this pedantic?
No one really gives a ****
---
I's me
#10IminyourclosetPosted 4/4/2012 2:56:07 AM
No one really gives a ****

Clearly I give a ****, given that I'm the one who first brought it up.

It seems the words aren't as black-and-white as I thought.
---