Best 1 lethal weapon to carry for a no kill run?

#1DarkKirby2500Posted 9/2/2011 7:53:25 PM
I hear a lot of people suggest an upgraded 10mm Pistol (it can be silenced but I'm not going to shoot anyone with it anyway I guess), but why don't people go for an upgraded Combat Rifle (also can be silenced for when I'm not going to kill people other then bosses)? Isn't the damage output higher?

I've also heard people suggest the revolver.

Thanks for the help.
---
The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#2dark trunksPosted 9/2/2011 8:02:09 PM
During my playthrough I kept four weapons. I kept the pistol, revolver, stun gun and a combat rifle. I used the combat rifle once.

And I realized at the end of the game I had a crap load of combat rifle ammo taking up my inventory space, and the gun itself.

If you plan to use take downs and stun enemies, but you really want a lethal weapon the pistol is a good choice. It doesn't take up that much space compared to the combat rifle, and if you plan to get Typhoon, I found that better to use against bosses than a combat rifle.

But that revolver with explosive rounds, when I did kill enemies near the end, was awesome. One shot on most of them, a couple for others, and it's another that doesn't take up too much space. Worked well against the last boss.
---
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997
#3SunWuKung420Posted 9/2/2011 8:05:12 PM
I will be carrying the combat rifle for bosses since the target seeking bullets worked so well against the 3rd boss when I had no augs.

Although 1st boss will probably get a bunch of rockets to the face and the final boss gets a laser rifle to the face.
---
Real life has always been and will always be the original and greatest 3D massively multiplayer adventure game. PSN: SunWuKung420
#4JyaganPosted 9/2/2011 8:05:24 PM
Revolver would be best, in my opinion, because it doesn't take up much space and when it has the explosive upgrade it can help with taking down bots.
---
The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating,and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it.
#5FlyinBrianPosted 9/2/2011 8:08:02 PM
if you are looking for a boss killer, the combat rifle is a decent option, probably better than the 10mm

i've never noticed much damage difference from the armor piercing rounds (I've unloaded like 20 rounds into the late-game heavies and they kept coming at me when 2 explosive revolver rounds dropped them) so the raw RoF and slight damage increase of the CR would be nice

negatives are it takes up more inventory space and the ammo is less plentiful (slightly, you can still swim in the stuff if you only use it on bosses)

revolver is awesomesauce once you get explosive rounds. I had a lot of trouble actually finding one though (i assume you can start with one based on the fact there is ammo in the starting level, but you'd be stupid not to take the tranq in a non-lethal run) and the upgrade doesn't show up till China I think

you could also do pretty well just saving up frag grenades, all 3 standard bosses are easy to stun+nade kill, and by the final boss you should have a pumped up laser or plasma rifle to do your heavy firepower duties
---
Sanity's really just a one trick pony, you just get one trick: rational thought. But when you're good and crazy, oh baby! The skies the limit! - The Tick
#6dairymastaPosted 9/2/2011 8:16:24 PM
I did a non lethal run, I used the combat rifle for bosses up until I got the grenade launcher. Dropped the combat rifle for the grenade launcher, takes like 4 shots from it to kill each boss so helps out with getting past the boring boss fights quickly and back to the stealthy goodness.
---
Life goes on, brah.
PSN: Dairymasta
#7dark trunksPosted 9/2/2011 8:17:35 PM
FlyinBrian posted...
if you are looking for a boss killer, the combat rifle is a decent option, probably better than the 10mm

i've never noticed much damage difference from the armor piercing rounds (I've unloaded like 20 rounds into the late-game heavies and they kept coming at me when 2 explosive revolver rounds dropped them) so the raw RoF and slight damage increase of the CR would be nice

negatives are it takes up more inventory space and the ammo is less plentiful (slightly, you can still swim in the stuff if you only use it on bosses)

revolver is awesomesauce once you get explosive rounds. I had a lot of trouble actually finding one though (i assume you can start with one based on the fact there is ammo in the starting level, but you'd be stupid not to take the tranq in a non-lethal run) and the upgrade doesn't show up till China I think

you could also do pretty well just saving up frag grenades, all 3 standard bosses are easy to stun+nade kill, and by the final boss you should have a pumped up laser or plasma rifle to do your heavy firepower duties

I think that is one of the lethal weapons you're given, it might be the option for close combat when you start. Then I think your first enemy encounter with a revolver is after your first visit to Detroit.
---
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997
#8ThehotdogmanPosted 9/2/2011 8:23:59 PM
Yeah, i found that revolvers were on the rare side; ammo was plentiful enough though. Actually, now that i think about it, were any of the dealers selling revolvers? I don't remember them selling them.

As far as enemies go, i think only a handful out of the whole game used revolvers, and you'd have to hack through a few rooms to get to safes/closets that had revolvers/ammo. But on the whole, i never felt like i was particularly strapped for ammo, just be sure to search every body and every room for supplies.
#9Cobra5Posted 9/2/2011 8:42:39 PM

The hotdog man posted...
Yeah, i found that revolvers were on the rare side; ammo was plentiful enough though. Actually, now that i think about it, were any of the dealers selling revolvers? I don't remember them selling them.

As far as enemies go, i think only a handful out of the whole game used revolvers, and you'd have to hack through a few rooms to get to safes/closets that had revolvers/ammo. But on the whole, i never felt like i was particularly strapped for ammo, just be sure to search every body and every room for supplies.

The dealer in the pod apartments sells a revolver, first visit to china.

#10lanky522Posted 9/2/2011 11:01:01 PM
silenced pistol is a good weapon to have in all types of playthroughs. It makes a great "attention grabber" for flesh enemies. Shoot a wall somewhere, and (because it's silenced) the guys will be "alarmed" and go look at the hole in the wall. You can then take them down or sneak by (non-lethal).

If you have a revolver or any other "noise weapon," my experience is that the guards go to the sound of the shot (ie. you), and not what the destination of the shot was.

my $0.02