Ghost and Smooth Operator Criteria

#1SeegteasePosted 9/18/2011 9:34:47 PM
Ghost

So I noticed I couldn't find any concrete criteria for what breaks and what doesn't break ghost. So I've done a series of tests just before the first boss. For testing purposes, I left one room full of guards with the turret, and left the room full of guards with the bot. My save is ghost-eligable, so I went and tried many different things to see if I still got it.

Things that WILL break Ghost:
-Allowing a body to be seen.
-Being seen by a bot/turret/enemy (but not camera) (into Hostile mode).
-Destroying a Bot/Turret with witnesses to the destruction.
-Using a gas/frag grenade and leaving survivors.
-Takedown from the front.
-Using more than one shot to kill an enemy.
-Firing a noisy gun and being heard.

Thing that WILL NOT break Ghost:
-Being heard, but not seen (Probably includes punch through walls. Had none to test).
-Distracting enemies by throwing an object.
-Opening a door and being noticed.
-Being seen for a split second ("We have a possible visual") (Alarmed, not Hostile).
-Hacking a turret/bot to attack enemies (will go Hostile).
-Failing to Hack.
-Causing a camera to go Suspicious.
-Causing a camera to go Hostile.
-Using a gas/frag grenade and leaving no witnesses (may go Hostile).
-Using a concussion grenade (will go Hostile).
-Using an EMP to take out a bot/turret with no witnesses (will go Hostile).
-Firing at someone and missing.
-Takedown from behind.
-Clean headshot (assuming they die in one shot)

Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator is quite a different beast, and it's always possible to get ONLY ghost or ONLY smoother operator. It's also pretty common to get both or neither. Smooth Operator is simple - if an alarm goes off, you will lose smooth operator.

The most common ways an alarm will go off is:
-A camera spotting you and going hostile (auto-alarm).
-An enemy spotting you and hitting the alarm.
-Tripping lasers.
-Failing to Hack.
-An enemy spotting a body then hitting an alarm. This can be particularly difficult, because you may have thought you hid a body well enough only to have it discovered a couple minutes later. HIDE YOUR BODIES WELL.

I didn't do overly thorough testing on Smooth Operator, because really, it's not too difficult. Just don't do anything that would cause someone to set off an alarm.

--------

I know a lot of people cannot figure out why they lost ghost (I think a body being spotted is the most notorious reason), and I know a lot of people are afraid to try certain things because they don't want to risk losing ghost. I know I was afraid to EMP a bot, since it went hostile. But now I know I can (and net a sweet 250xp for doing so), and still get my 500 ghost and 250 smooth operator bonus. It's good to know that you don't have to avoid everything. Just for reference, I used a takedown on every single enemy in the level before the first boss, and I destroyed both the turret and bot with EMP. Due to this, I probably got max XP for the level (also hacked everything/explored everywhere of course). I personally did not control the turret because you get a lot less XP that way (but a heck of a lot easier).

If anybody has any more things they would like me to try, or disagrees with something I said, I'd be happy to test/retest it. I tried to think of everything you might do during a mission to overcome obstacles.
#2Thanatos2kPosted 9/18/2011 9:38:39 PM
One of the problems using gas grenades/mines is that if you don't get everyone just right, one person may go down and then one of his allies who is not yet unconscious may "see" his body before he too succumbs to the gas. This ruins ghost from the "Allowing a body to be seen" criteria and it is difficult to notice that this even happens since it's in a split second.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#3Seegtease(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2011 9:43:17 PM
Thanatos2k posted...
One of the problems using gas grenades/mines is that if you don't get everyone just right, one person may go down and then one of his allies who is not yet unconscious may "see" his body before he too succumbs to the gas. This ruins ghost from the "Allowing a body to be seen" criteria and it is difficult to notice that this even happens since it's in a split second.

True. It can be tricky to get them all down at once. I guess I should include that little specificity in there, since it might not be obvious to most.

I was surprised that concussion grenades don't matter at all.
#4Seegtease(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2011 10:21:21 PM
Apparently I was mistaken about a turret seeing you and going hostile. You can have a firefight with a turret and still get both ghost and smooth operator as long as no one else notices the fight.
#5DarkSymbiotePosted 9/18/2011 11:19:57 PM
Takedowns from the front does not break ghost.
---
TODD HOWARD is actually a dragon shout. It makes the user and everyone around them orgasm immediately from every orifice. It gets messy. - parradox1992
#6iIIuminatiPosted 9/19/2011 9:19:03 AM
Thanks for this.
I can confirm that, as long as no one sees you, punching through walls doesn't break Ghost.

And as far as Smooth Operator goes, if you hack all the alarm panels the guards can't "Make the call".

---
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
#7Thanatos2kPosted 9/19/2011 10:26:26 AM
Takedowns from the front does not break ghost.

Depends if they go hostile in the split second before the takedown starts. Doing it while cloaked works fine.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#8sadinarPosted 9/19/2011 12:59:30 PM
I'm pretty sure a camera going suspicious will not break ghost, as will letting a turret go hostile but not shoot at you. Turrets don't have a suspicious setting so they're not really hostile until they fire, even if it says so.
---
[This signature was deleted at request of the original signer]
#9Seegtease(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2011 3:28:25 PM
iIIuminati posted...
Thanks for this.
I can confirm that, as long as no one sees you, punching through walls doesn't break Ghost.

And as far as Smooth Operator goes, if you hack all the alarm panels the guards can't "Make the call".

True, but I'm pretty sure a camera can still break it.

sadinar posted...
I'm pretty sure a camera going suspicious will not break ghost, as will letting a turret go hostile but not shoot at you. Turrets don't have a suspicious setting so they're not really hostile until they fire, even if it says so.

A camera going HOSTILE won't even break ghost (but it will break smooth operator). I did test this.

As for turrets, I threw an explosive barrel at a turret (all other enemies were dead/unconscious), but it didn't explode. So I had to fire my pistol at it like 5-6 times. It fired at me but missed, and it went totally hostile before I manage to blow it up. I still got ghost.
#10egpNoodlezPosted 9/19/2011 3:42:09 PM
You can definitely get in a firefight with a robot and so long as no one else sees it you will get Ghost. I usually have a fight with the bot just before using the disc in Omega Ranch, and I've always gotten Ghost there.
---
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/egpNoodlez/BBE_40.jpg
http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/11/egpNoodlez.png