Which weapons to keep?

#1endgamecutterPosted 4/21/2012 9:18:35 PM
Hi, I just got the game and am already getting screwed over by my pack rat tendencies. I tend to grab anything I can get my hands on, although I sell most of my weapons. However, I just got to the PEPS in the police station, and realized that between gun mods, guns I don't use, hacking tools and protein bars, I don't have enough inventory space to pick up the gun mod in the police armory. To this end, I've decided I should upgrade my stuff and ditch the weapons I don't intend to use.

So far I've been doing a pacifist run, enemies are so far easy enough to sneak past to be fair, I haven't dealt with many cameras yet, and I talked my way through the station). However, A: I understand that bosses are in this game and will need some firepower to get past them, plus killing them is allowed for the achievement and B: I am by no means restricting myself to the pacifist run, seeing as this is my first time in human revolution, and I went maxed out rifles in the first game just shooting my way through most problems.

So I was just wondering what guns would be useful to carry around, considering I want as few cluttering up my inventory as possible. Right now I'm carrying a revolver, machine pistol, stun gun and tranq rifle. I'm considering using only a 10mm for my lethal weapon and putting all my upgrades into it, but I'm not sure how well that will actually stack up against the main targets for it: bosses. I'm also considering the combat rifle for that reason, but ammo seems like it would be a bit scarce, considering how often you need to shoot it to kill one target, plus all the spare ammo would REALLY clutter up my inventory. So, what would you recommend for my lethal needs? I'd prefer as few weapons as possible, so something that can cover all my lethal needs would be nice. Also, how easy is it to sneak past mecha in this game? am I going to need to stock up on EMP grenades at some point?

Oh, and final question: which augs would you suggest taking? so far I've taken hacking 3, hacking stealth 2, landing system, and 1 point in inventory space, but I still a praxis to spend. I'm considering punch through walls or see through walls to gain better sneaking/more ways through, but I'm not sure how often I can use those, plus energy might become an issue. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

TL DR: what gun should I take for bosses and mooks when I get bored of being sneaky and missing experience?
#2LordRorkPosted 4/22/2012 7:25:04 AM

Use the revolver with explosive ammo, that usually gets the job done.

As for praxis points, I'd say get see through walls before punch through walls - if you punch through a wall with a guard behind it, you kill him...not good for a non-lethal run.

#3endgamecutter(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2012 7:59:17 AM
well, I think I've actually already failed the non-lethal run. When I was in the sewers, I punched out a couple thugs. I used non-lethal means but he fell into the electrified water, killing him. I'm pretty sure that ruins the achievement. Also, can I silence a revolver? I'd also like it to not attract attention too much. And is ammo easy to come by later on for the revolver? I don't think 25 rounds is going to cut it for very long.
#4sidtx0Posted 4/22/2012 4:21:43 PM
endgamecutter posted...
well, I think I've actually already failed the non-lethal run. When I was in the sewers, I punched out a couple thugs. I used non-lethal means but he fell into the electrified water, killing him. I'm pretty sure that ruins the achievement. Also, can I silence a revolver? I'd also like it to not attract attention too much. And is ammo easy to come by later on for the revolver? I don't think 25 rounds is going to cut it for very long.

you should save revolver rounds for bosses really, its really loud and will attract attention so it isn't very practical. also no, I'm pretty sure it says right in the description of the revolver that it can't be silenced.

anyways, for praxis, punching through walls is really needed. they hide praxis kits behind some breakable walls and you WILL miss them without it. other then that, hacking and steath hacking are really needed, then jumping, lifting heavy objects, and icarus. if you want easy boss fights you could always go for typhoon as well. after all that, i personally like to go for all the status immunity upgrades but i usually get the double take down first.

now, as for weapons, it really depends on how you're trying to play. lethal, non lethal, sneaky, rambo. from your latest post i assume you're trying to go stealthy and don't really care about non lethal anymore so, silenced pistol (heavily upgraded, probably the main weapon you'll use.), silenced sniper rifle (for taking out targets from a distance), revolver (for bosses), EMP grenades (useful for all sorts of things). This'll probably cover you for 99% of the game, the only time i ever had problems was a certain ambush later in the game which i ended up using alot of energy items for stealth cloaking out.

on the other hand if you don't want to go lethal, then Tranq Rifle, Stun Gun, Revolver, Gas and EMP grenades. Oh, and be careful, because if an enemy is standing right on the other side of a breakable wall, and you break it, you will perform a killing move. on the other hand if they're a bit away from the wall they'll just get knocked out. usually.
#5endgamecutter(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2012 12:20:09 PM
Alright, Just one more question. Since I AM trying to be stealthy (and non-lethal, but willing to forgo that if and when I start running out of ammo) I figure the 10mm would be best to keep around as my primary lethal weapon/boss killer. The problem here is that I'm not sure how effective the pistol will actually BE against bosses, plus if the first game is anything to go by, ammo for the 10mm will get hard to come by later in the game. Because of this, I'm also considering silencing a combat rifle and using single shots with it for the extra firepower, since I can grab a TON of ammo for it in the police station armory, and it'll probably be really common later in the game. In the end, it comes down to how hard it's going to be to keep the 10mm fully loaded later in the game. SO, am I going to find a good amount of ammo for it throughout the game, or is it going to start getting understocked later?
#6sidtx0Posted 4/23/2012 11:43:41 PM
endgamecutter posted...
Alright, Just one more question. Since I AM trying to be stealthy (and non-lethal, but willing to forgo that if and when I start running out of ammo) I figure the 10mm would be best to keep around as my primary lethal weapon/boss killer. The problem here is that I'm not sure how effective the pistol will actually BE against bosses, plus if the first game is anything to go by, ammo for the 10mm will get hard to come by later in the game. Because of this, I'm also considering silencing a combat rifle and using single shots with it for the extra firepower, since I can grab a TON of ammo for it in the police station armory, and it'll probably be really common later in the game. In the end, it comes down to how hard it's going to be to keep the 10mm fully loaded later in the game. SO, am I going to find a good amount of ammo for it throughout the game, or is it going to start getting understocked later?

that really depends on you. if you can consistently hit with headshots you'll be fine. just throw an emp grenade and shoot away.
#7Suri_DodolaPosted 4/24/2012 10:53:32 AM

Use the revolver with explosive ammo, that usually gets the job done.
As for praxis points, I'd say get see through walls before punch through walls - if you punch through a wall with a guard behind it, you kill him...not good for a non-lethal run.

I don't think he should ever get the see through walls one. There's very few times when an enemy is standing by a broken wall. Think it's just better to just upgrade the map so you can see enemies out of sight.
---
"If you don't cry, it isn't love. If you don't cry, then you just don't feel it deep enough."
#8PK ManPosted 4/24/2012 11:34:17 AM
The peps is pretty useless imo. It's not silent and takes forever to reload. It's only somewhat useful in the last part of the game. If you are going for pacifist run, you only need your stun gun, tranq rifle, and upgraded pistol for bosses. An upgraded combat rifle works too, but it takes up more inventory space and eats up ammo too quickly. Pistol + emp grenades is pretty much EZ win, especially if you have the EMP shield aug.

The see-through walls aug is not that necessary. Punching through walls is must-get. It allows you to get hidden praxis pts and take shortcuts. Since you are going sneaky, just use knockdowns to take out enemies.
---
{o_X}Q=(-_-Q)
PSN: ilikeredheads