Horse riding is so badd

#1xplicitbamfyPosted 2/7/2011 2:39:10 AM
I understand everyone has deadlines but i know they also have to test their game. I mean seriously did they really think that their horse riding system was even remotely good? I know we need a good way to travel other than walking everywhere but i mean come on the riding in this game is so god awful. It might just be me but the horse is pretty unresponsive and slow to react the way i would like, and when you first get on the horse and try to ride anywhere at first its so slow to move.I know everyone is hatin on this game but im pushin through it, ya i have complaints with some of it but i think other parts of the game make up for where they lacked, but nothing can excuse the fact that the horse riding in the game is so horrid. I only started horse riding maybe it gets better, hopefully, or another way to travel faster other than tp-ing. If there is sorry for the spam i guess.
#2etangssPosted 2/7/2011 4:44:41 AM

Just takes a bit of time to familiarize yourself with the mechanics. The horse is not a machine so I guess a bit of lag time is to be expected when it's trying to respond to your commands. To be honest, the last game I had to ride horses in was Gun and that was so long ago I can't remember if it was better or not. By the time I finished the Savannah quests, the horse riding was so natural I seldom had to pay attention to the limit bars but yeah, in the beginning, a lot of times I would be galloping along and suddenly find myself on the ground staring at the horse's ass.

#3bleatPosted 2/8/2011 6:16:36 AM

etangss posted...

Just takes a bit of time to familiarize yourself with the mechanics. The horse is not a machine so I guess a bit of lag time is to be expected when it's trying to respond to your commands. To be honest, the last game I had to ride horses in was Gun and that was so long ago I can't remember if it was better or not. By the time I finished the Savannah quests, the horse riding was so natural I seldom had to pay attention to the limit bars but yeah, in the beginning, a lot of times I would be galloping along and suddenly find myself on the ground staring at the horse's ass.

The horse riding mechanic is not well done. One, it's tedious to keep pressing right mouse trying to keep your speed up.. I'd rather not pay attention to that and be looking around at the scenery for points of interest, items, and enemies. That's more fun.

Also.. I dunno how many times I've gotten stuck on a tree branch trying to wind my way around roads.. or some other piece of world construct like a boulder.. Give me a little lee-way so the game is more fun to play... The horse riding is NOT the main point of the fun of the game so stop making it so annoying and "challenging"...

#4DaLaggaPosted 2/8/2011 6:23:44 AM
"The horse riding mechanic is not well done. One, it's tedious to keep pressing right mouse trying to keep your speed up.. I'd rather not pay attention to that and be looking around at the scenery for points of interest, items, and enemies. That's more fun."

Exactly. It forces you to stare at a stamina gauge rather than the scenery and serves no purpose whatsoever. I wish more games would just use the horseback riding mechanics seen in Mount and Blade.
#5NicodimusPosted 2/8/2011 9:34:53 AM

I know we need a good way to travel other than walking everywhere

Actually, not so much. Max out stamina and just sprint everywhere. If it's THAT far away, you just teleport.
---
PSN/GT: Nicodimus
Two Worlds 2 Online: L71 Mage | L50 Warrior
#6olgert56Posted 2/8/2011 10:31:54 AM
Or you could just be smart, learn a pattern of clicking, and then you don't have to look at the stamina bar....it's very simple.
#7ultronPosted 2/9/2011 8:00:39 AM
Or you could just be smart, learn a pattern of clicking, and then you don't have to look at the stamina bar....it's very simple.

That sounds more tedious than smart or simple really...
#8olgert56Posted 2/9/2011 1:14:02 PM
^ sucks for you then.
#9OgesMCPosted 2/9/2011 4:57:07 PM
6 or so "clicks" and the animal is ready to buck you off. So a steady rhythmic clicking is just going to be too slow which negates the purpose of riding a horse anyways.

At least in Red Dead Redemption you could spur the horse a lot more, keep it moving at a constant speed by holding the button, tight and responsive horse controls etc. etc.

The horse riding is atrocious in this and I cant believe how people defend it so. And it being an improvement over TW1 doesnt make it good either. If it was horrible in the first game and improved a tad bit for the second, it can still be horrible. If there were mount types (monsters or something) that were "cool" or combat ready then maybe some things can be overlooked but the horses suck.
---
Only intelligent players are capable of enjoying Sacred, go back to Call of Duty or whatever the shooter of the month is. -JFKdj
#10olgert56Posted 2/9/2011 5:23:46 PM
Well, just because you and some others can't learn how to ride the horse doesn't make it bad. For me it's well-made. I can't remember how many clicks it takes for it to throw you off, but if it takes 6 like you say, then you click up to five, let it go for a second or two, click once or twice, and keep doing that. It's way too simple. I was doing that and enjoying the scenery. So yea, it's well made... could it be done just by holding SHIFT or something? Sure, but they went for a more complex system.