How do you capture ships?

#1OmegaPosterPosted 1/4/2009 9:56:09 AM
Im on one of the first missions, and I need to take a ship off of someone to return to its owner....how?
---
Welsh People Rule!
#2inteltn24Posted 1/4/2009 12:17:17 PM
Activate the mission guidance icon and follow it to find the missing ship. Once you have found the ship, fly close it, eject from your own ship, fly about 30 meter close to the target, press i to bring up the ship option, select claim and have it fly back to the station where you got the mission. The ship in these type of missions are almost always damaged, you should repair the ship while it is travelling back to the station to restore its original speed. Your space suit has a repair laser, just remember to keep your own ship close to you.
I do not recommend taking return ship missions. They are a pain because of the short timer. Defend station missions are easier and more profitable.
#3BigDanPosted 1/6/2009 12:00:46 PM
Those are some of the harder missions. You have to get the pilot of the stolen ship to eject (you need high combat rating for that to happen more frequently) without destroying the ship, then claim it for yourself and order it to fly back to the base of the owner...

... try to avoid those, and instead go for the missions that specifically ask you to return an abandoned ship. Simply find it, eject from your ship, fly within 35 meters of it, right click on it and select "claim". Then jump back in to your ship and order the newly claimed ship to fly back to the owners base. Some of those missions early on add up to a decent amount of start-up money for trading later on.

---
-Big Dan
It's called the American Dream, 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it. ~ George Carlin
#4BigDanPosted 1/6/2009 12:02:46 PM
But be careful. If you claim the ship then quit the mission, or don't return it within the allotted time, the owner will alert the police forces of his home sector (the small, weak fighters, not the capital ships)...

... if it's destroyed by someone else on the way back to it's home base, the owner will typically give you a small reward for your efforts.

---
-Big Dan
It's called the American Dream, 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it. ~ George Carlin