A short and thorough guide to playing Sentinel on Higher Difficulties(and lower)

#1Omni_SnakePosted 2/2/2010 4:53:54 AM
By following this setup its highly likely that youíll be able to hand just about anything thrown at you on higher difficulties.

Class: Sentinel

Class Skill: Guardian

Skills that you will utilize:
Reave
Tech Armor
Overload

Squad:
Garrus/Jack
Anyone else

Important Upgrades:
Everything Biotic
Everything Tech
Everything Assault Rifle

Strategy:

The first step is to get Reave as your bonus skill, this is going to be your most important skill, with Tech Armor a close second, Reave allows you to disable most barriers and armor, and be able to kill most organics in one shot when fully advanced. Advance Reave to heavy Reave after Tech Armor is advanced to Power Armor.

Tech Armor is the skill that really makes the Sentinel possible, like fortification/barrier/geth shield except the fact that it never wears, this allows you to be able to throw up another Tech Armor as soon as the first one drops down. Giving you time to hit the enemy with Reave, shoot them dead or retreat to cover. Advance this first and advance this to Power Armor.

The third important skill is Overload this allows you to strip any enemy of their shields. Especially when upgraded to Heavy Overload with all the upgrades the damage increases tremendously and the cooldown minimal.

Your main focus when going into to battle is to observe the field for anyone with a shield or barrier, if Shield Heavy Overload, if barrier or armor Reave. Have your sqaudmates intercept anyone who tries to flank you, you donít want that, especially on Insanity even if you throw up another tech armor you only have a few seconds to save yourself.
---
Official Monster Hunter Bard~!
Dual Wielding two 1h ~*STARFANGS*~
#2Omni_Snake(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2010 4:54:48 AM
Squad:

At the beginning of the game one of your first priorities is recruiting Jack and getting her loyalty mission. Its gonna be awhile until you can get Garrusí Armor Piercing Ammo and this is the next best thing Warp Ammo, it attacks enemies on every defense they have, combined with the power of an Assault Rifle and its deadly, even on Insanity. On Normal/Veteran I could take out a Harbinger with about 5 secs of fire and one Reave.
And make sure you get Garrusí squad AP ammo ASAP, Sqaud AP ammo does more damage then Heavy warp ammo. Your best bet for another squad member will always be Grunt because he can takes hits, deal damage and be used to protect you when you canít protect yourself.

Weaponry:

At the beginning of the game youíll be very limited in your arsenal, thatís why its important to get through main missions quickly so you can get hold of the Assault Rifle specialization. Take care to do the Tali Recruitment mission on Hardcore/Insanity to get the Geth Pulse Rifle, itís the best one youíll have access to, and yes thatís including the Collectorís Assault Rifle. Itíll probably the only weapon you use ever again.

Summary:

Rape

Just to avoid anymore unnecessary topics about Sentinel.

---
#3illmatic8Posted 2/2/2010 5:03:03 AM
Everything in this guide is pretty much perfect, but I would suggest taking Miranda as your third, just because she has a great power set and group buffs for her class skill. I'd also take the Vindicator over the Geth Rifle.
#4bshrumbluePosted 2/2/2010 5:03:27 AM
Quality post. This is pretty much the way i'm playing sentinel and power armor really is a lifesaver. Been having a blast with this class despite this game being stripped of nearly all RPG elements.
#5Omni_Snake(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2010 5:08:13 AM
While her Overload is useful and the Health bonus is great, Miranda lacks in weaponry, Garrus still has Overload and another good second would be Tali for her AI Hacking, and Combat Drone that attack eventually has the same power as Warp.
---
#6Omni_Snake(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2010 6:21:59 AM
I'm considering expanding this and including stats, numbers, and a more detailed strategy on how to handle the more difficult enemies.
---
#7AsfyPosted 2/2/2010 6:29:14 AM
nice guide :)
#8Omni_Snake(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2010 6:39:02 AM
thanks, all feedback is highly encouraged folks.
---
#9Mast3r Ad3ptPosted 2/2/2010 6:47:58 AM
Haven't tried insanity yet, working on hardcore right now. Pretty much doing everything you said but I've been using Mordin/Grunt.

Mordin merely because his incinerate+my reave wrecks a lot of things and Grunt takes a lot of hits. I like the idea of AP ammo though, but I haven't unlocked Garrus's loyalty mission yet anyway.
---
I'm pro, I swear
#10Omni_Snake(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2010 8:18:48 AM
The damage you are dealing right now pales in comparison to the damage you could be dealing with squad warp ammo or squad AP ammo
---