Mass Effect Easter eggs and cool things

#1PlanescapedPosted 2/25/2010 12:52:45 PM
I've noticed the game has many easter eggs and little neat references, some more major then others.

Major Easter Eggs:
Baldurs Gate: The Space Hamster, is a direct reference to Boo, Minsc's pet from Baldurs gate series. Minsc referred to Boo as a Miniature Giant Space Hamster.

Baldurs Gate: When Tali uses combat drone she says something along the lines of "Nothing is faster then chitika fastpaws." In Baldurs gate 2 when you select a character called Aerie and have her do an action she sometime says "Faster then Chitika Fastpaws!" It is quite obviously a reference to her.

Gilbert and Sullivan: In one of Morden's final talks he sings a Salarian remix of the famous song I am the Very Model of a Modern Major General.

Star Trek:The Krogan have many similarities and allusions to Klingons. One minor one is the Pyjack situation of Tuchanka. In the Star Trek universe one of the greatest enemies of the Klingon Empire are these little tiny furry animals called Tribbles. They eat everything in site and breed like crazy, Klingons make sport of killing them in many ways. The Pyjack's are very similar. And Varren are very similar to Targ's.

Star Trek: One line of Jokers that he says if you stick around the cockpit after talking to him for about 10 seconds is. "I Wish we had a Deflector Dish so I could realign that Mother." A direct reference to Star Trek where they constantly realign their deflector dish to do different things.

Dragon Age: The Blood Dragon Armor is quite obviously a reference to Dragon Age, still worth a mention though.

Star Trek: On the lower level of Zakera Ward on the Citadel if you talk to Avina you can ask her why this area is more run down. She says "Asari futurists theorize that poverty will never truly be overcome by society until the invention of Cornucopia technology. A machine that can create anything the user desires. Such objects sadly do not exist out side science fiction literature" A direct reference to Replicators from Star Trek.

Post the ones you've noticed.
---
The clouds pass... the rain does its work and all individual beings flow into their forms." The Book of Changes
#2Planescaped(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2010 1:52:05 PM
Toys: The Krogan vehicles, Thomkah's... Sound and look a lot like Tonka Trucks.
---
The clouds pass... the rain does its work and all individual beings flow into their forms." The Book of Changes
#3beenman500Posted 2/25/2010 2:24:46 PM
keep minning the planet uranus, with probes. EDI says some funny things
#4unused_loginPosted 2/25/2010 2:26:31 PM
I'm almost sure there's a Star Trek reference when Shepard gets wasted in the Dark Star Lounge. When he or she is served he says. "It's... It's Green".

---
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread on GameFAQs
#5Planescaped(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2010 3:42:58 PM
^Probably Soilent Green is people. I'll try that one.
---
#6DatanaPosted 2/25/2010 4:35:51 PM
I'm almost sure there's a Star Trek reference when Shepard gets wasted in the Dark Star Lounge. When he or she is served he says. "It's... It's Green".

That was from an episode of the original series ("By Any Other Name"). Scotty was trying to drink an alien that had taken over the Enterprise under the table, and was going through all of his stocks of liquor to do so. I don't remember the scene clearly (it's been quite a few years since seeing it), but I think that he was already quite drunk at that point and couldn't read the label on one of the bottles, so just said "It's green" when asked what it was.
#7bluemooglePosted 2/25/2010 4:51:15 PM
Tali has another Baldur's Gate reference to Boo. She orders her combat drone to go for the optics, much like Boo was ordered to go for the eyes.
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#8manskilla911Posted 2/25/2010 4:59:12 PM
if you probe Uranus edi will say probing uranus
---
www.myspace.com/revivethelifeless
#9unusmundusPosted 2/26/2010 2:12:26 AM
When Jacob uses Pull, sometimes he shouts "Get over here!" - mortal combat

the Spectres' unlimited authority is so Lensman's

one of Shepard's default casual outfits is Carth Onasi's default outfit from kotor.

also includes a Shout Out to "hitch hikers guide to the galaxy" series. "'Spending a year dead' is a popular tax dodge."

Joker referencing EDi singing daisy bell is a 2001 Space Odyssey reference

One building in Tuchanka looks alot like the Ryugyong Hotel

the quarians with their rag-tag, fugitive fleet fleeing the geth genocide are very close analogues to Battlestar Galactica

Legion activation sudo command and 1.21 petawatts

warhammer 40k - Dakka system. and Carnifex Hand Cannon.

having a Scottish engineer

giant worm and keystone (as a giant thumper), red sand improving biotics... maybe even the quarian suit are Dune reference

---
I arise every morning torn between the desire to save the world and the desire to savor the world. It makes it hard to plan the day
#10liquld1985Posted 2/26/2010 4:29:54 AM
when Joker gives EDI the full control of the ship (after the IFF mission), first he says "if you start singing daisy bells, I'm pulling the plug" a clear reference to "H.A.L 9000" in 2001 space odyssey, in which when Bowman was disabling H.A.L's memory units one by one, at the end, H.A.L started to sing Daisy bells, a song thought to "him" as the very first thing he ever learned. (this was mentioned before).

the famous joker line when giving EDI the full control when he says: "great, that's how it all began. now we are just organic batteries. it's all joker's fault. what a tool he was. now I have to spend the whole day computing Pi because he plugged in the overlord" has two references:

first "organic batteries" is a clear reference to Matrix in which humans were used as organic batteries by machines since the main energy source (or the sun) was disabled by humans.

second, (though not exactly an Easter egg), "computing Pi" is the standard procedure to measure the speed of a processing unit (a CPU or a computer), so forcing humans to "compute Pi" is the equal of them being the computer's slaves (doing the exact thing the computer, EDI, is programed to do as a matter of procedure, daily).
---
I AM proud to be one-dimensional, where my one dimension is love. -yasso, GameFAQs (the signature first used by "CheeseItBaggins").