Udina vs Anderson? Which would make more sense?

#1Death DurronPosted 11/23/2011 10:54:34 AM
Not factoring how nice or mean each of them treat the PC, which choice seems to make more sense given the current situation? Granted it doesn't have much effect in the gameplay from what I've noticed but realistically who is the better choice for councilor?

I'm somewhat thinking that even though its not open war yet with the Reapers the threat is still out there so maybe it's better to have someone with a military background like Anderson on the Council especially given how passive the current/previous Council is/was.

Yet at the same time would someone with actual political experience be better in that maybe that person can manipulate the system more effectively in getting things done. Granted Udina wasn't quite helpful when the goal wasn't beneficial to humanity but he was quite stern on trying to prove Saren's guilt when the colony was attacked.

I know this is a video game but even with some real life situations, there would be pro and cons in going with either decision.
---
"You must gather your party before venturing forth"
"Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes!"
#2thedoc42Posted 11/23/2011 10:59:41 PM
Me, I'm an optimist. I choose skills over politics anytime.
I'd love to see a world where individual action and honesty is valued over gaining other's favors.
Udina is the perfect diplomat, I mostly despise him and his views.
Anderson has a point to make and the experience to back it up.

Perfect world: Anderson
Real world: Udina is the only one to stand a chance
Game World: Probably Udina. Anderson gets little help or support from the council, so they don't act as a team. Because of that, Anderson seems quite disillusioned in his role after spending 2 years trying.

Me and my Shepards will still choose Anderson though
#3RajhinPosted 11/25/2011 4:56:21 PM
Udina is a jackass, but he's trained in politics and can sometimes sway the Council's opinion. Anderson is Shepard's friend and worries about humanity before politics, but he has no political training to really convince the Council anything. Udina is the better option long-term, I think. Even if Anderson knows more about the Reapers and stopping them, he won't be very useful when that threat is dealt with. Plus Anderson doesn't really like being a politician, and he has a better chance of getting out of it when he's not in the Council.
---
"i see a few maggots came to feed on this topic's corpse." - Fony
#4punnytno1Posted 11/26/2011 3:19:58 PM
I just REALLY don't trust Udina. I fully expected him to betray/double cross Shepherd in ME2, maybe he still will in Mass Effect 3, such is the nature of these highly ambitious politicians.

What Shepherd said sums it up perfectly for me. Andersen doesn't want the job, which will make him perfect for it, no selfish or personnal ambitions to get in the way or helping the galaxy and its peoples.

For me...

Udina = wrong choice (usually what i do in renegade playthrus)
Andersen = right choice (never chosen him on a renegade playthru)
---
PSN: Jingeeman
#5Death Durron(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2011 9:31:53 AM
Thanks for all the comments and I think Rajhin does bring up a good point. Anderson may have a more solid understanding as to how big of a threat the Reapers really are, especially given the Council brushed off all the recent events as Geth related. But that might not mean much depending on how well he can convince the Council to act in future events.
---
#6cjsdowgPosted 11/29/2011 10:25:33 AM
'No way Udina is better. people talk about he knows politics and stuff , however he puts his wants over that of Earth. We saw this when he backstabbed the MC in Mass Effect 1, and support the Counsel in Mass Effect 2 the group putting their heads in the sand about what was going on.
---
Bender: Well, everybody, I just saved a turtle. What have you done with your lives?
#7Death Durron(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2011 2:32:34 PM
Udinas acts in Mass Effect 1 I thought was a mix of promoting humanity and saying they're worth something to trying to maintain favor of the Council by trying to keep a leash on Shepard when the Normandy was locked down.

During the whole trial of Saren and getting a human Spectre I really thought Udinas was all pro-humanity, cause honestly it didn't look like he was trying to get the favor of the Council with all his demands and accusation he made. He even mentioned that if it was a Turian colony that got attacked the Council woulda put more resources into figuring out what happen. Dosen't seem like he was trying to kiss arse at that point, maybe kiss the arse of the humans he represent but not the Council

But it did seem like once Saren was guilty of the attack on Eden Prime and a human was made a Spectre he went back to trying to maintain a good relationship with the Council.

I felt during these cases Udinas was being what a representive was all about. He represented the needs and demand of humanity during the crisis while trying to maintain good public relationship with the Council. Of course maintaining good relationship with the Council wasn't always in favor of Shepard. I'm sure Udinas saw Shepard as an asset to advance humanity amongst the various factions/species.

I do see Anderson as more pro-everyone who's willing to bend/break the rules to achieve that while Udinas is heavily pro-humanity while trying to follow the rules. Both have their merits in my opinion.

I'll admit though, I chose Anderson to be on the Council during my earlier gameplay cause I felt the nice guy with the strong determination who's not blind to the Reaper threat and is only doing it outta necessity and not because he wants to be on the Council is better. But after looking past Udinas treatment of Shepard he still was doing his job as represenative of humanity.
---
#8Pandaren EmperorPosted 12/2/2011 3:12:34 AM
I would pick Anderson everytime, during this period of time humans needs someone like him to represent them. afterwards however, he is free to retire and pass it to Udina.
---
In war, victory. In peace, vigilence. In death, sacrifice. --- Grey Warden Motto.
#9HollowNinjaPosted 12/8/2011 1:16:30 AM
Those of you who are saying that Anderson has no political training... go look at a list of past US presidents and count up how many of them served in the military.

Anyways, Udina is a jackass, but he's not an evil person. There is a twist in ME3 (I read the spoilers), but I loathe people who spoil things for others, and we're not allowed to talk about it anyways.
---
http://backloggery.com/hollowninja Steam: DJ illi ill
PSN: DJ_iLLi_iLL XBL: DJ iLLi iLL
#10JamieK1981Posted 12/8/2011 3:12:59 AM
HollowNinja posted...
Those of you who are saying that Anderson has no political training... go look at a list of past US presidents and count up how many of them served in the military.

Anyways, Udina is a jackass, but he's not an evil person. There is a twist in ME3 (I read the spoilers), but I loathe people who spoil things for others, and we're not allowed to talk about it anyways.

any chance you can send me that little twist as a personal message? just that little twist. :)

Nothing else, just that little twist. :)