Hardened Adrenaline Rush...

#1ziegdPosted 4/16/2012 8:50:43 AM

I'm about half way thru my run as Soldier, and I read in some guide that the BEST ability to upgrade to level 4 for Soldier is Adrenaline Rush...take it to Hardened.

Really? I mean, I think a minus 50% to health damage would be great, but since it only lasts for 5 seconds, it seems it's more like a "life-saver" power I'd use primarily when I'm about to die. And frankly, if I'm that close to death anyway, it probably means I did something wrong, and deserve to die, restart and do it right :P .

So anyway, interested in hearing what kind of loadout is recommended for Soldier. I think getting some of the squad ammo abilities would be more useful than Hardened Adreneline Rush. Hell, even Geth Sheld Boost seems a better choice to me. SO before I commit all my XP, I'd like to hear some opinions.

Also, best weapon to select in the Collector Ship? Widow, Claymore, or Revenant?

#2MattheauPosted 4/17/2012 1:51:24 AM
With some weapons, Hardened let's you do more damage than Heightened due to the time dilation differences. In a lot of cases, Hardened is also a good enough damage boost for weapons that technically do more damage with Heightened that the extra 40% damage bonus doesn't really end up mattering. Hardened also let's you stay out of cover longer while being shot at, which can be useful if you are trying to eliminate specific enemies while less important ones are shooting you.

For the Collector Ship weapon, it depends on the difficulty and your playing style.
#3bhamvPosted 4/17/2012 3:15:25 AM
I usually go for the Widow, since the Mattock is my preferred assault rifle, and I'm not a big fan of the Claymore's 1-shot clip.
#4ziegd(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2012 7:30:30 AM

Thanks guys.

@ Mattheau...actually, my question was more about whether or not I should even be upgrading Adrenaline Rush to those levels. As of right now, it just seems to me that the 7 XP required to get levels 3 and 4 for Adrenaline Rush would be better spent elsewhere...like on getting another Squad Ammo upgrade, or even taking Geth Shield Boost to level 4. A power that only lasts for 5 seconds just doesn't seem like it's worth it to me.

@bhmav...yea, I tried each weapon, reloaded the autosave and tried another, and finally settled on the Widow. My AR is the Mattlock as well, and even tho I really liked the capacity of the Revenant, I just felt like the Mattlock was a better all-around weapon. Accurate at long range, single-shot capability, lot of punch. I'm a little worried about this 13-round capacity for the Widow, tho. I like sniping, and having only 13 shots available means I'll have to be a little more judicious in my use of it.

Since we're talking about weapons...I'd be interested in hearing opinions on which ones are the 'best' in their class. Like, what is the 'best' shot-gun (recognizing that 'best' is somewhat subjective and dependent on play-style and class).

'Best' SMG? AR? Pistol? Heavy Weapon? Sniper riflle?

#5bhamvPosted 4/17/2012 8:53:47 AM
The Widow's low ammo count is actually not a big factor against it. With Adrenaline Rush, you'll probably be able to headshot enemies fairly consistently. The Widow's huge damage, plus the boost from Adrenaline Rush, means you have a good chance of one-shotting most mooks, depending on your difficulty level.

That means you've got a good chance of killing thirteen enemies in every firefight, from a long distance away, before they can even land a shot on you. Doesn't sound too bad, does it?

I used to be a fan of the Viper sniper rifle, because its larger clip meant I could do more damage per Adrenaline Rush. Later though, as I got better at sniping, I came to prefer the Widow.

As for the best weapons, my personal choices are:
Pistol: Phalanx. Insane damage.
Submachine Gun: Locust: More accurate and less recoil than the Tempest. Less ammo available, true, but I also require fewer shots to drop my enemies, so it's not a big deal.
Shotgun: I actually don't use shotguns much, even when I play Vanguard, but I usually pack the Eviscerator.
Assault Rifle: Mattock. Semi-automatic fire makes it easier to control, but it still fires fast enough to provide very nice stopping power.
Sniper Rifle: Widow, for the reasons mentioned above.
Heavy: Arc Projector for general use, Cain for when I know I'm going to be fighting something huge, such as the Thresher Maw. Firing it at the Praetorian on Horizon was so incredibly satisfying.
#6ziegd(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2012 11:44:51 AM

"Pistol: Phalanx. Insane damage."

Really? Better than the Carnex (sp) Hand Cannon? I've never even tried using the Phalanx, since I get the Hand Cannon on, like, my second mission of the game. I just assumed it was a better weapon...maybe have to switch to the Phalanx to give it a chance.

#7bhamvPosted 4/17/2012 3:50:34 PM
The Phalanx does more damage per shot than the Carnifex, but has a lower rate of fire, so the overall DPS might very well be lower. But the Phalanx lends itself to more careful aiming, thanks to the laser sight.

If you can make each shot count by aiming for where it hurts, the Phalanx is excellent. Plus it comes with a laser sight, how cool is that?
#8ziegd(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2012 5:56:50 PM

Cool...thanks

#9MattheauPosted 4/18/2012 1:45:40 AM
ziegd posted...
@ Mattheau...actually, my question was more about whether or not I should even be upgrading Adrenaline Rush to those levels. As of right now, it just seems to me that the 7 XP required to get levels 3 and 4 for Adrenaline Rush would be better spent elsewhere...like on getting another Squad Ammo upgrade, or even taking Geth Shield Boost to level 4. A power that only lasts for 5 seconds just doesn't seem like it's worth it to me.

Squad members have incredibly nerfed damage, so they benefit very little from any squad ammo power outside Cryo Ammo (which only is useful once the protection comes down). The only squad members with passives that boost their damage high enough that they do vaguely useful damage already have ammo powers.

I also don't see why you are so obsessed about the duration. The power only has a three second recharge time, so you can be in Adrenaline Rush most of the time.

bhamv posted...
The Widow's low ammo count is actually not a big factor against it. With Adrenaline Rush, you'll probably be able to headshot enemies fairly consistently. The Widow's huge damage, plus the boost from Adrenaline Rush, means you have a good chance of one-shotting most mooks, depending on your difficulty level.

However, on most difficulty levels, the Mantis is also a guaranteed one shot kill on virtually everything. There really isn't that much benefit to the Widow over the Mantis at that point beyond being able to carry three extra shots.

If it isn't something you can one hit kill, then neither is a great choice. A lot of weapons can put out more damage in the same amount of time against a large target, which further negates the benefit of the Widow over the Mantis.
#10domz_lemanaPosted 4/18/2012 2:36:52 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
More topics from this board...
Blood dragon armor?savagetvfan111/26 11:42AM