Liara (and the asari); not Lesbian, not Bisexual, not Asexual but Omnisexual.

#1Blaze8t88Posted 1/28/2010 1:57:33 AM
Yeah I know, I didn’t put Samara in the header but not quite sure as of yet if she’s still active on the relationship front.
I find it funny that the press releases take note to state that there are NO lesbian relationships in Mass Effect (2) and that there never were.
Liara/Samara and the asari race are not lesbian/bisexual apparently but their asexual, something they would underscore if they could. I understand that they want to avoid the ****-storm that this would/could unleash but… well sorry but it’s quite nonsense (and dragon age allready went further and got away with more so why be so touchy).

My Sheppard was female and would not start a relationship with an asari if she had looked male but was still asexual. (To quote Tycho out of context she’s a “relentless space lesbian”)
Bioware made them too feminine too even consider seeing them as anything but female.

Take this example: if my Sheppard was male and gay he wouldn’t go for the asari just because she’d technically be the closest thing to a male - male relationship on the ship/game. On that note, maybe they should make Samara terribly butch ‘n flat-chested if you’re a male Sheppard since I heard her interest (might) only mildly go out to women, that way catering to both sides.

On the matter of the asari sexuality I’d say they’d be omnisexual. They can reproduce with any sentience, no matter what race or gender.
Last time I checked (5 minutes ago on wiki) Asexual meant reproduction without a partner or with a partner of the same kind. Basically Asari are only asexual on their own planet (this is natural if the entire population is female but can still reproduce) and everything-sexual off it

I do have to note that the asari way of reproducing is probably the most wonderfully free spirited existences any race can have. All you need is love, or a deep connection.

(hmmm…. on a long enough timeframe the entire universe will be populated by a blue race of females (^__^).

Agree, disagree?
#2ronnetPosted 1/28/2010 2:04:57 AM
As far as sexual interests goes then yes an Asari is Omnisexual, they are attracted to just about anything. So they are not, heterosexual, bisexual or ''asexual''.

But the asexual that the devs are hinting at is asexual in the form of not needing another partner to reproduce. And not the asexual: I'm not attracted to anything'' kind. They don't need the DNA of a partner, they simply take the personality and other mental qualities of their sex partner. So they reproduce asexually and have omnisexual interests.
#3game_wiz101Posted 1/28/2010 2:07:25 AM
^ Although what you said is true, don't they STILL need a partner, even if they don't contribute DNA? Maybe it's some sort of mental block or something if they don't have another mind to mesh with.
---
I showed her my Wii.. she just pointed and laughed and said " I thought it would be bigger "~Kitt Thrust
# of people that like my sig: 37
#4ronnetPosted 1/28/2010 2:10:50 AM
'' ^ Although what you said is true, don't they STILL need a partner, even if they don't contribute DNA? Maybe it's some sort of mental block or something if they don't have another mind to mesh with. ''

True, but then again Mass Effect is sci-fi, if the Asari did excist then we would need to come up with a whole new word to describe what they do. Not to mention that Bioware isn't 100% clear on how the Asari reproduce so right now we couldn't even make a definition for this word even if we wanted to.