Infiltrator: M-98 Widow or Assault Rifle Training?

#1KluggyPosted 1/30/2010 2:55:30 AM
Im at the point where i choose my advanced weapon training and am wondering whether the M-98 Widow is worth it. I have the viper now. Is the Widow also a quick shot sniper?
---
GT - KLUGGY
#2Liquidacid23Posted 1/30/2010 2:58:31 AM
the widow is a single shot sniper and you only hold like 15 or so rounds(with upgrade) for it...but with the inflitrators slow-motion sniper shot it kicks ass...takes down unshielded targets in one shot and even most armored and shielded ones in only 2 shots..with all the upgrades I was taking down guys with tech armor with one head shot
#3Kluggy(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2010 3:00:16 AM
... perfect. Because im not really liking that i have to shoot an enemy like 5 times to kill him with the viper. Widow it is
---
GT - KLUGGY
#4shoot2screPosted 1/31/2010 11:38:03 AM
I'm at this point too... anyone else weigh in?

I can't decide. I like the fast-shooting sniper rifle. I don't have any real problem with it. I didn't like the 1 shot rifle. So should I just take the Assault Rifle training?
---
The one thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the immense inferiority of everyone else;
This is a feeling that I have always cultivated.
#5Xero-KillPosted 1/31/2010 11:47:08 AM
I was all too happy to upgrade to the Widow. I agree that the single action rifles are better, they just feel more... snipery. I didn't mind the extra ammo capacity of the semi-auto sniper, but the extra ammo doesn't really add up since you have to spend 2 to 4 times the number of rounds to kill the same enemies that take only 1 to kill with the single action rifles... so it all balances out in the end. All in all, I would rather be able to pop out of cover, take my shot, and return to cover knowing that my enemy is smoked rather than trying to squeeze off two or three shots in the same amount of time, and possibly not even kill the target.
---
Currently Playing: Mass Effect 2 - Dragon Age: Origins - Borderlands
#6PadF0oTDayZPosted 1/31/2010 11:51:25 AM
Can you get Widow if youre not infiltrator?
#7thrakkemarnPosted 1/31/2010 12:27:52 PM
The key to understanding how awesome the widow is realizing that it refills ammo at TWO per clip ... that means if you pick up a clip you get 2 shots instead of 1 like the starter rifle. Also, it's damage is so high that as long as you don't miss too often, you will never ever run out of ammo.

Obviously the Viper is better for picking off fodder, but on Hardcore or Insanity you will regret not taking the Widow to deal with those big, armored, shielded, barrier targets.

The later SMG fills the role perfectly, and taking an Assault Rifle is just not worth sacrificing the Widow.

On normal difficulty, or even Veteran, do whatever, you really can't lose.
---
"Regardless of platform or genre, Funk is the universal gaming language." "I am Gerald! And you will all die by my hand!"
#8mcboogsPosted 1/31/2010 12:33:00 PM

thrakkemarn posted...
Obviously the Viper is better for picking off fodder, but on Hardcore or Insanity you will regret not taking the Widow to deal with those big, armored, shielded, barrier targets.

Couldn't agree more with this. If you are planning on playing on Insanity, take the Rifle. You can't expose yourself on Insanity as it is, so bringing a bigger punch will help dramaticaly... may almost be necessary.

#9KonouPosted 1/31/2010 12:35:41 PM
Just got the Widow last night and it is wow compared to the Viper on Insanity mode.

I sorta wanted a shotgun, but the huge damage increase is awesome, and it actually feels like a sniper rifle instead of a long range pistol. I really like being able to one shot a lot of guys or at least do heavy damage to the tougher ones in shot one shot compared to 4 Viper rounds.

If I had the choice to go back, I still would go Widow hands down. I thought Viper was awesome till I realized how much Widow just kicks *** and takes names.
---
Jump. Jump. Slide. Slide.
#10anchoredPosted 1/31/2010 12:39:15 PM
I just started my playthrough for infiltrator, when is this decision?